My sun conure's poo is getting stuck on his bottom

DeeRon

Sep 13, 2021
Parrots
Sun Conure named Lincoln I inherited
I inherited a sun conure who didn't have much stimulation about 7 years ago, he's approximately 26 years old. (A little back story - it was my brother's bird that he got as a baby but he got married and left him behind at my Mom's house where I visit him every day). I've come very far with him and he's become my buddy even though I can't touch him because he's a biter. He will only eat seeds even though I've tried every type of snack birds normally like. Recently Hartz discontinued the food he's been eating for years. I have some left and have been mixing it with a new one but I just noticed he has some poop stuck to his bottom. I do still see him poop, they're just not the same as they were. Does anyone know if it could be a result of this new food situation? He's acting normally in every other way. Thanks for any advice.

My Buddy.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
because birds hide being sick, until they are critical...
Poop being stuck is abnormal, the best thing is a gram stain by a vet to check fir yeast imbalance or bacterial overgrown.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums to you and Lincoln!

Having a bird's poop stick to his butt can be caused by any number of different factors, from stress through to illness and even neurological issues. It's generally best assessed by a certified avian vet in order to get to the bottom (pun intended :) ) of exactly what is going on, particularly if Lincoln has not had a wellness check in the last 12 months or so. Birds have evolved over millions of years to be expert at masking signs of illness so as not to attract predators to themselves or the flock, but issues with poop is one thing they cannot hide! The following link may help you to find one in your vicinity if you are not already aware of one....

Meanwhile, congratulations on your new charge, he is a beautiful boy and I wish the two of you many happy years together :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts