Name for a non DNA-sexed parrot?

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Mango - Poicephalus Jardine
My Lesser Jardine's Parrot, the one in my avatar, is not DNA sexed. I've named it Timmy, according to the iris coloration that seems to be red (They say that red/rusty orange is for males and brown is for females)
I think I should change the name, because I've read about a good number of people who guessed the wrong gender for their parrots, and I'm not any better.
Any new name suggestions, that works for both genders?
Or I should keep this one? He's been only here since a momth so it's not that big deal for both of us if we changed the name.
Thank you loads.
Here's a picture of my fid:
displayimage.php

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
What a pretty bird. I like the name timmy and those eyes are red. I don't know anything about the Jardines. Good luck:)

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
I don't think parrots suffer from the same gender identity issues that humans do, so if you pick a male name and refer to him as a boy and you end up with an egg appearing in the cage it's not going to have done him/her any harm. If it matters to you you could get the DNA test easily enough, but if you're 90% certain and you don't want to get the test done at this time, I don't think it's a big deal.

Anyway, there are plenty of boys named Sue in the parrot world...

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Does Weeky (Wi-ck-ee) work as a both gender name? I don't think I will do the test but it wont feel comfortable if I had named it a wrong name
And I don't know much about egg laying. Can a pair of two different species work it out, or it has to be same specie?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
How about Mango! Lol! He looks sort of like a ripening mango. Weeky sounds a little like he may be weak. Really, the name is more for you, so whatever you like. Timmy is a cute name, and if he turns out to be female, you could just change the spelling a bit, like "Timi" which looks more girly! Lol!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
lol, I find it funny how many people think their birds care if they have a gender specific name. The birds don't care hahaha

Name him whatever you want, if you are worried about the name Timmy choose something else ;)

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
This is so hard, I wonder how our parents pick us names when we get born
Thank you everyone for the replies
and Kalidasa, I thought about Timmy/Kimmy !

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WOW your fid is GORGEOUS!!!!

I like the sound of Weeky!!

Here are some more both gender names:

Dakota, Jessie, Sidney, Skyler, Phoenix, Riley, Harley, Dallas, Payton, Parker, Micah, Logan. :)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
^^^LOVE the name Riley! Nika was almost A Riley but I ended up naming her Nina, after my mom, but after a day of that, it was clear that Nina didn't exactly fit, because it seemed a little too sweet. I wanted some "bite" to her name, so it became Nika, and it stuck. She says it now rather frequently, so whatever the gender, Nika it is. Names are fun. And gosh your bird is so beautiful Hussein! I can't stop looking at his pic! :)

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Thank you guys! I wonder why his previous owner sold him, I mean he's a sweetheart!
Nika is a slang word in my language by the way, lol!
And Wendy, I also love the name Riley! But English isn't my first language (third actually) so my family will have a hard time pronouncing his name :/ that's why I wanted a more practical name than Timmy, something that sounds all playful and short, like Kiwi or Weeky !
Man I love this forums.

Most Reactions