Need Advice for Gaining Weight (Hahns Macaw)

mrjayd

Jun 10, 2020
Hello everyone,
Newbie here. My name is JD and I have a 5 month old baby Hahn’s named Buddy. Unfortunately the Breeder clipped his wings so he is not flying yet. He is very active and seems all too healthy but he eats like a fish. When I got him at 12 weeks old he was about 130 grams and today he is only at 138 (in the morning after a big poop). He pretty much likes everything I give him but just picks at it and just not gaining much weight. Any thoughts?
Looking forward to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Re: Alternative sources of protein - Hahn's Macaw

It may sound odd to you ladies and gentlemen overseas....... But here in Australia we breed Bush fly maggots for our insectivorous birds (I don't, I feed termites) and on many occassions we feed our parrots insects. (We breed maggots in sterile conditions in what we call 'Fly boxes', where we dont breed them in rotting food, instead we breed them in a wheat bran and milk powder mixture)
In fact, one of my best breeding mates bred Black headed Caiques in large numbers, as he was feeding maggots to them and they believed when feeding chicks around 30% or more of their diet was maggots. And, my Bourkes get fed Termites as well and breeding results have improved significantly.

Its a real art to learn how to breed maggots, but mealworms are really good to feed out in very small portions as a supplement. Maybe 3 or 4 twice a weeks

A comercial egg and biscuit mix with some mashed boiled egg into it is fantastic as well....but make sure to remove it at the end of the day

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So, just what are you feeding and just what is your Parrot really eating? Next, what is the quality level of what you are feeding your Parrot. It is important to understand that low cost, commonly equals low food value.

Not every Parrot will eat you our of house and home.

Have you had a discussion with your Avian Profession regarding your Parrot's weight and whether it's current weight is in fact acceptable?

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Re: Alternative sources of protein - Hahn's Macaw

It may sound odd to you ladies and gentlemen overseas....... But here in Australia we breed Bush fly maggots for our insectivorous birds (I don't, I feed termites) and on many occassions we feed our parrots insects. (We breed maggots

“Odd” would be one way to describe it, but of course, it isn’t.

However, this WOULD be considered valid grounds for divorce in all 50 U.S. states.

OP
M

mrjayd

Jun 10, 2020
So, just what are you feeding and just what is your Parrot really eating? Next, what is the quality level of what you are feeding your Parrot. It is important to understand that low cost, commonly equals low food value.

Not every Parrot will eat you our of house and home.

Have you had a discussion with your Avian Profession regarding your Parrot's weight and whether it's current weight is in fact acceptable?
Feeding him good Rowdy Bush pellets which he loves and have been adding some walnuts and pine nuts for some “good” fats. I make him birdie bread from the Birdtricks.com recipe and he enjoys that too. And then at night I give him veggies mix of peas, corm, carrots, and green beans along with fresh kale and broccoli and a ;itt;e freaks apple and grapes. So the food is all good, he just doesn’t eat a lot of it.
And I think any Hahn’s owners here should be able to tell me if the weight is right for his age?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, when the Hahn's owners flock in, you will likely get an acceptable range.

Having an Avian Professional as part of your Parrots life is as important as a doctor for a Human child.

Great diet base! Are you leaving the dry food available during the day or just during a set feeding schedule? Consider adding a 'high quality' seed and grain mix, etc.. targeting on low to no sunflower seeds or peanuts.

Within each species there can exist a wide range of body types and sizes. Yours may just be on the smaller size. At 500 grams, our DYH Amazon is on the smaller range for his species.

Last edited:
OP
M

mrjayd

Jun 10, 2020
His keel is very boney and sharp. It’s got me nervous now. Made an appointment with an avian for next week. Somethings not right. I mean he is not losing weight he is just now gaining.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The best way to gain weight is, unfortunately, through exercise. Exercise builds muscle... muscle weighs more than fat... not only that, but exercise can help to build up an appetite.

Being as he's clipped, that makes exercise more difficult - unless you were to get him imped.

Here's an older thread that mentions some different weights...

http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/27576-hahn-s-owners-what-s-your-weight.html

I hope you are able to get some answers from a vet.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome JD and Buddy! A visit with certified avian vet ought prove helpful. A sharp keel is of concern, comprehensive exam and potential lab tests may set your mind at ease with a good recovery plan.

OP
M

mrjayd

Jun 10, 2020
Hello All,

Well its been about a year since we chatted about my Buddy's weight. His wings finally grew in and he has been flying for a few months now and has gained some weight. He is at about 150g now so I am satisfied with that for now. He still is not a real good eater though. I can't get him to like most fruits and veggies so he still is mostly only eating his pellets and some seed mix.

Anyway the problem of the day is his flying now. I love that he is flying and I waited so long for this but he just always has to fly on me and won't stay and play on his cage or play stand or perch stands around the house. He just always has to fly on me. Any suggestions on stopping this behavior so I can keep him out all day?

Thanks folks.

The best way to gain weight is, unfortunately, through exercise. Exercise builds muscle... muscle weighs more than fat... not only that, but exercise can help to build up an appetite.

Being as he's clipped, that makes exercise more difficult - unless you were to get him imped.

Here's an older thread that mentions some different weights...

http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/27576-hahn-s-owners-what-s-your-weight.html

I hope you are able to get some answers from a vet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts