Need advice! Getting a conure at the end of the month and want to do what's best!

NewOwner03

May 3, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Crimson bellied conures (2)
Turquoise green cheek conure
Me and my boyfriend are getting a conure at the end of the month. Any advice is appreciated but what I would like to know is on cages!
We still have pet rats and have two cages, only one being in use. It's fairly big in all ways, has lots of room for perches/toys etc.
It is made of stainless steel with no coating and a plastic pull out tray at the bottom. We plan on removing all the levels and ramps. Removing the wheels from the bottom of the cage and putting it up higher on a stand.
The dimensions are 31 in L x 20.5 in W x 39 in H
Bars are 1/2 inch.
Here is a picture of the cage. Just a stock photo.
So would this be suitable for a conure until we can save up or find a better cage on kijiji? I don't get a lot of results of small animal cage converted into bird cages.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f3/bc/06/f3bc06524ef1407bc96e9ea8330fe3b3.jpg

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
It looks big enough. I'd measure the bar spacing to make sure its not more than 3/4 of an inch- max.

Conures come in different sizes, but I'd presume that cage is big enough for the time being.

OP
N

NewOwner03

May 3, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Thank you! The bar spacing is 1/2 inch.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Do you know what kind of conure you are getting?

OP
N

NewOwner03

May 3, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Black capped/Green cheek conure! They'll be ready to be away from parents at the end of the month so that's when we'll be getting him or her.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I was just going to remark that the biggest conure (mine) is 18-19 inches long, butttttttt...
Black-capped... cool!
We have a few BCC parronts here.
Welcome.
Glad you found us.
Good for you for reaching out and researching!

OP
N

NewOwner03

May 3, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Surprisingly this was the only breeder around us so we feel pretty lucky! She's even in our small town haha!
That's cool! They seem like they'd be pretty good pets. We already have a lovebird and an Amazon Parrot here but those are my Mom's boyfriends. Just fell in love with conures the first time I saw one in person. :)

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
There is a lot to fall in love with in regards to our conures! I am so excited for you. I never thought a bird would have such a big wonderful personality and be so much fun to be around. I guess what you put in is what you get out, but I think I spend more time with the birds than the sheep and horses put together. The birds are much more like actual family. In fact, if I had to choose between one of my birds and some of my family, while let us just say it wouldn't actually be much of a choice.

You will be so surprised by your fid. They are so much like people in the range of personalities. One if mine loves kisses everywhere but not pets. The other one love scritches and to have her tail gently pulled. My GCC is just an all over petter and love to sleep upside down in my hand.

You will find such odd little idiosyncracies with your baby that you will come to treasure. Make sure that you share them here. I love reading about everyone's fids!

-Jen

OP
N

NewOwner03

May 3, 2017
Canada
Parrots
He just came yesterday. We decided not to DNA test for gender so male is just an assumption! I named him Rio but my boyfriend's Mom calls him Taco lol.
He was a bit nervous the first 3 hours but he eventually started hanging upside down, rolling on his back and playing with his feet and being very silly!
Today is the second day and he ended up falling asleep on my chest so I'd say he's settling in well. I'm definitely in love! He has a lot of character.

Most Reactions

Latest posts