need advice - have to buy new stove

prtmom

Apr 29, 2010
Hi,
I have to buy a new stove. The one I want is NOT self cleaning. It does steam clean. I purchased it, but left it in the store until I could talk to Whirlpool. They said the manual says something about not putting birds near it as some birds are sensitive. But that it doesn't list tefelon. My birds are not in the kitchen area and have a door separating their room from the kitchen. How does one handle having to buy a new appliance?
Thanks for any advice.

Lokums

Jun 25, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
B&G, Senegal
Just get the one that you want and don't self clean. Fighting with a stove/oven you don't like is far harder to deal with then not being able to self clean. I know nothing about steam clean ovens. But I do know that not all non-stick surfaces are toxic. Teflon is for sure. From the sound of it steam clean seems like a pretty neat thing as long as you got somewhere to drain the excess water.

Google the model number and then google the features. See if there are any non-stick surfaces on the inside of it, figure out what "steam clean" ovens do.

According to the whirlpool site their steam clean feature does not do heavy cleanings, but you would still have to do the "self clean" to get heavy gunk off. The danger to birds is listed in the "self cleaning" issues section of the manual, so the steam cleaning feature is in all likelyhood perfectly fine for your fids.

Quote from http://whirlpool.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3010/~/the-steam-clean-feature:
IMPORTANT: The health of some birds is extremely sensitive to the fumes given off during the Self-Cleaning cycle. Exposure to the fumes may result in death of certain birds. Always move birds to another closed and well-ventilated room.

So it seems to me that as long as you only use "steam clean" you are good.

Mike

Most Reactions

Latest posts