Need advice on my Hahns macaw

Nelsonj328

Dec 26, 2020
Louisiana
Parrots
Severe macaw
Hi. I have a 12 yr old Hahns macaw that I have had almost 2 yrs. He has been doing wonderful till a few months ago. He started attacking me for now reason. He will literally fly at me and attack. I am the one who feeds him and cleans his cage. I talk to him every day. I am his main care giver. The person I got him from said his wife and daughter didn't like him and he was too loud. I think he has a thing against females. My husband, son and one daughter(she has super short hair)(I did for awhile also, but started growing it out) can mess with him with no problem. No other female can get any where near him without him trying to attack. I got the bird for me, not them. I have tried everything I can think of and researched. Like I said, I have had him almost 2 yrs and I have been bitten about 10 times. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots can react differently when a person changes their appearance, and sometimes not even radically. Think about it - parrots, once they get their feathers in, don;t change how they look at all; a 1yr old Hahn's looks the same as a 25 yr old. So when we change our appearance, it can freak them out. If your parrot has a thing against women with long hair, and you decide to grow your out, well there you are. We've seen on this forum parrots react negatively to a change in hair style, length, color, wearing a certain color, different nail polish, wearing glasses; growing a beard, removing a beard, you can never tell. Do all parrots react badly to changes such as these? Parrots are very much individuals, and what freaks out one bird may be un-noticed by another.

Most Reactions