Need help picking out a stainless steel cage for a Little Corella Cockatoo

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Right now I have my Little Corella Cockatoo Frankie in a Prevue 3153 I got him when I was fostering and training him, but now that I took him permanently. I want to get him a nice cage in that room with my other birds and I want to put that cage back in different room as a spare cage for emergency, or other foster.

Been really considering going stainless steel, but looking for one similar size as fit that space perfect. Looking a decent quality stainless steel cage. My budget up to around 2k mark, as was also planing on buying 2 6 foot Java trees as well for the new bird room. Want to keep bar spacing no bigger then 1 inch, but around 3/4.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Iโ€™ve just purchased 2 stainless steel cages made by Featherland (the only brand available in Australia as far as I can tell!) The online reviews seem to be fairly positive in terms of the build quality but they were only delivered yesterday, all boxed up and I wonโ€™t get a chance to set them up until tomorrow at least. I kinda had to buy them because, believe it or not, my tiny lorikeet Lilly had managed to rip off some of the powder-coating on Fangโ€™s virtually new cage, thus exposing the โ€œmystery metalโ€ underneath and I hit the panic button!! Dang if that bird doesnโ€™t give me heart failure...

Anyhow if youโ€™re interested Iโ€™ll post about them once theyโ€™re set up. Good luck with your search!

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Iโ€™ve just purchased 2 stainless steel cages made by Featherland (the only brand available in Australia as far as I can tell!) The online reviews seem to be fairly positive in terms of the build quality but they were only delivered yesterday, all boxed up and I wonโ€™t get a chance to set them up until tomorrow at least. I kinda had to buy them because, believe it or not, my tiny lorikeet Lilly had managed to rip off some of the powder-coating on Fangโ€™s virtually new cage, thus exposing the โ€œmystery metalโ€ underneath and I hit the panic button!! Dang if that bird doesnโ€™t give me heart failure...

Anyhow if youโ€™re interested Iโ€™ll post about them once theyโ€™re set up. Good luck with your search!

Definitely be interested in your review of it, as seen them before but wondering the quality overall. Like the size as wider then taller and the cost seems reasonable.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
As far as I can tell from the online pics, Fangโ€™s cage is 31โ€ wide x 21โ€โ€™deep which is slightly bigger than the one he has now. Lillyโ€™s is 27โ€ wide x 18โ€โ€™deep which is a different shape to the one she has, wider in one direction but slightly narrower in the depth. Bird cage shopping in Australia is SOOOOO depressing because they all look the same, made on the cheap (they must be if a lorikeet can get the powder coating off!) and a lot of them seem to be totally impractical as well. Hopefully I wonโ€™t unbox these and immediately hate them, but at least Lilly can chew to her little heartโ€™s content and it wonโ€™t kill her!

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots

They make great cages but issue I have with their stainless steel is they claim true medical 304-grade stainless steel?

"These Cages Have Just Arrived, and We Challenge Anyone to Find A More Beautifully Constructed Cage! Best Medical Grade 304 Stainless Steel on the Market!"

There is no such thing as 'medical grade' or 'surgical grade' 304 grade stainless steel. 304-grade stainless steel is 304-grade stainless steel, there are not different grades within it. You can get 304-grade stainless steel in different polishes, but that does not relate to the quality at all. There are not different grades or types of 304-grade stainless steel. The only stainless steel that would be considered a surgical or medical grade would be a completely different grade of stainless steel all together. I believe it is 308-grade or 316-grade? Medical companies DO NOT use 304-grade stainless steel as a standard grade of stainless, they use a different grade of stainless steel completely. When bird cage manufacturers and/or retailers put "medical grade" or "surgical grade" into the title of their 304-grade stainless steel cage it is strictly a marketing technique. I think it's misleading and somewhat dishonest.

The key difference is that 316 stainless steel incorporates about 2 to 3 percent molybdenum. The addition increases corrosion resistance, particularly against chlorides and other industrial solvents. Reason 316 stainless steel is commonly used in many industrial applications involving processing chemicals, as well as high-saline environments such as coastal regions and outdoor areas where de-icing salts are common. Due to its non-reactive qualities, 316 stainless steel is also used in the manufacture of medical surgical instruments.

Not saying the stainless steel king's cages are bad, they are not, but definitely not medical grade, just not sure worth the extra 1k price they are asking? Caitec PetCo featherland cages looks like a much better deal with good built quality, from looking at pictures seen online and reviews. LaManuka mention having two of them they received, so hoping the quality is good, as others claimed? Mainly interested in weld quality, polish, bar spacing is correct, door to frame spacing is even is and thickness?

King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
..........but at least Lilly can chew to her little heartโ€™s content and it wonโ€™t kill her!

Not so! Make sure you give it a good washing! One of our Mods almost lost her bird from poisoning! There was a residue left on the cage, either from the fabracator, or the warehouse!

Last edited:

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
316 is used in medical for instruments and implants and there are different sub grades of it.
304 is used a lot in the food industry both processing and commercial kitchens. 304 is softer than 316

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Ok Iโ€™ve just been out in my back yard cleaning Lillyโ€™s cage. I had intended to do that anyway because Iโ€™m aware most things have some kind of residue on them from the manufacturing process. I scrubbed it with some mild detergent and a sponge then blasted it with my high-pressure water cleaning machine. PLEASE tell me Iโ€™ve done enough cos I do get paranoid about these things!!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Itโ€™s very bright and shiny. Easy to assemble but the cage and stand are all joined together so no scope to tinker with the height which is what I did with Fangโ€™s old cage (Iโ€™m a shortie so Fangโ€™s new cage and stand will be quite tall now, oh well...) Funny thing is Lillyโ€™s cage came with 3 dowel perches more suited to a MUCH bigger bird, like a cockatoo, not in keeping with the size of the cage at all. Not that I was going to use them, but theyโ€™re way too big for the little bird that would be using them. Iโ€™ll post a picture later, at the moment Iโ€™m flaked out on the couch in front of the fan recovering from the heat!

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
I'm over 6' 1" and I still find a step stool or 2-3 ft step ladder to be very helpful when covering the larger playtop cages.

As for the dowels I have made toys out of them in the past.

Stay cool....heat stroke can kill.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thanx Dave, it was โ€œonlyโ€ 32c here today...

Ok Lillyโ€™s cage is in the house, I donโ€™t love it, but I donโ€™t hate it either. I was a bit miffed to discover however that this model cage came with an โ€œoptionalโ€ flat play top, which I then tried to buy but the retailer here didnโ€™t have it on their website and I also looked at the manufacturerโ€™s website and they donโ€™t have it either! Grrrrr... i might try calling the local retailer later ...

The cage comes with stoneware food cups which are deep enough for Lilly to throw herself into and cover herself in lori dry (powdered nectar) which she immediately proceeded to do! Up until now Iโ€™ve been using little plastic cups for her food to prevent that kind of thing but she likes to unhook them and fling them on the floor unless I find a way to clamp them down firmly. Iโ€™ve made a makeshift clamp using some of the bits that supported the stoneware bowls to fix her plastic cup in place. Aaah the fun of lorikeet ownership! The cage also comes with those skirts around the sides supposedly to stop food hitting the floor but I find them more trouble than theyโ€™re worth. Plus with stainless steel it makes the cage look more like something out of a mortuary.

Theyโ€™re very easy to put together, it was harder work getting it out of the packaging! I will put Fangโ€™s together tomorrow when I have hubby around to help me get it into the house from the shed.

All this because my tiny girlie, Her Royal Haughtiness, with her eagle eye and needle-like beak, managed to find possibly the one chink in the powder-coating of Fangโ€™s cage ... she is such a little toad ... at least Fang is well-behaved. But Lord help me I do love โ€˜em both!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Ok my final verdict on Featherland cages... REALLY easy to put together, so easy a child (or I) can do it. Lilly really seems to like hers and Fang took to his much more readily than I thought he would (he is the highly strung type!) I got the "small" one for Lilly and the "medium" for Fang, Lilly's is a good size for her or a pair of budgies perhaps, Fang's is ENORMOUS for him but I'd rather it be too big than not big enough. I'm a wee bit annoyed that two of the wheels fell off of Fang's cage as we carried it from our shed to our house, we had to carry it as the wheels would have been no good for "off-road" anyway, but I don't expect wheels to go falling off an item that has cost me as much as it did. They stay on ok in the house but I will be looking at some way to secure them a little better.

All in all I am happy with them and the birds seem to like them which is the most important thing :)

Figure A is Fang's cage in our back yard just after construction and cleaning (note the browned off grass...we have not had our regular summer rains this year and our "lawn" is dead!)

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture21074-img-0289a.jpg

Figure B is both cages in our bird room, Lilly's in the foreground and Fang's hulking new palatial home in the background!

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture21073-img-0294a.jpg

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Ok my final verdict on Featherland cages... REALLY easy to put together, so easy a child (or I) can do it. Lilly really seems to like hers and Fang took to his much more readily than I thought he would (he is the highly strung type!) I got the "small" one for Lilly and the "medium" for Fang, Lilly's is a good size for her or a pair of budgies perhaps, Fang's is ENORMOUS for him but I'd rather it be too big than not big enough. I'm a wee bit annoyed that two of the wheels fell off of Fang's cage as we carried it from our shed to our house, we had to carry it as the wheels would have been no good for "off-road" anyway, but I don't expect wheels to go falling off an item that has cost me as much as it did. They stay on ok in the house but I will be looking at some way to secure them a little better.

All in all I am happy with them and the birds seem to like them which is the most important thing :)

Figure A is Fang's cage in our back yard just after construction and cleaning (note the browned off grass...we have not had our regular summer rains this year and our "lawn" is dead!)

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture21074-img-0289a.jpg

Figure B is both cages in our bird room, Lilly's in the foreground and Fang's hulking new palatial home in the background!

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture21073-img-0294a.jpg

Looks good from far, and spacing between door and frame looks nice and even. You won't believe how many stainless steel cages on eBay for example that can't get even that right and poor welds. This one looks like it work for Frankie getting the bigger one. Just wonder the thickness of the bars as he is a Little Corella Cockatoo, a smaller Cockatoo when compare to my umbrellas cockatoos but don't think he can snap the bars hopefully?

My female umbrella Cockatoo Baby is known to destroy cages and break welds and one time took the whole play area found a loose spot that was welded at the top and bend it up and down to break the rest of it off on one side on one cage, of course she was outside the cage when she did this. Another time she even bend the top post and loosen the bottom screw and took the feeder door out on a brand new King's cage at work? So good for King's cages being escape bird proof? So built a large walk in bird room at work frame it plexiglass instead with a couple of trees and area to play.

Thankfully the newer much larger King's at home she like and will stay in with door wide open during the day at times.

Last edited:
OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Last edited:
OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
My little guys seem to really like their Featherland cages (blโ€”-y good job too!!), and mine were certainly easy enough to put together. My birdies do not however have nearly the destructive abilities of a corella or cockatoo so will be interesting to hear how yours performs ParrotGenie.

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
My little guys seem to really like their Featherland cages (blโ€”-y good job too!!), and mine were certainly easy enough to put together. My birdies do not however have nearly the destructive abilities of a corella or cockatoo so will be interesting to hear how yours performs ParrotGenie.

It going to be here on Monday from what freight tracking. Was suppose to come on Thursday, but weather delay it. In a way I am glad as had to finish tree this weekend.

Most Reactions