Need help with training

RompopeTheLovie

May 24, 2018
Hey guys! So I'll try to keep this short and sweet: Last december I got a Lovebird, it was a present from my boyfriend which was an issue since he wasn't really informed about the differences between a hand raised lovebird and one raised by its parents.

It seems to me he wasn't used to being handled at all. I've been working with him for about 5 months now! We've made some progress but the thing is he will only remain with me or step up on my finger if I have his pallet with me. What training looks for us is usually as follows:

1.- I open his cage, he knows he's getting food and reaches for the door.
2.- I show him that I have a piece of pellet in my hand and tell him to "step up" 3.- He steps up and I bring him to my desk, where I will let him eat a little while he's perching on my hand but once he finishes the little pellet piece he goes back to the desk.
4.- After that I grab more food and keep it in my left hand, I hide it and then ask him to step up using my right hand. He will usually step up immediately when I put my hand near him, but if I don't feed him within 5 seconds he'll just jump back to the desk.

And that's what we've been doing so far. The thing is I don't know how to make him step up when I'm not holding anything! If I don't have any food he doesn't come near me at all, or he will and then once he realizes I don't have the pellet he'll just get away.

Every tutorial I've watched on youtube has the bird stepping up and down while getting the rewards afterwards (lol), but if I do this he won't step up on me. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Please help :rainbow1:!

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
Hi there! Lovebirds are tricky. They have the character of large parrots in a tiny package. With that said, do you talk to him when you’re cleaning his cage and feeding him? How is his body language? How is your body language. For instance, staring at a bird can be seen as threatening. You always blink at them. I have a rule where I blink right after they do. My albino lovie was parent raised and not handled. She was a biter too. That was difficult. If she chewed at my finger I blew a puff of air at her and said “no!” She’s not but me after a few weeks now. She doesn’t enjoy being perched on my finger, she instead likes to be held while in a blanket, cuddled up. She’ll even pull it over herself. She will stay on my shoulder or hands for a short period of time but she has a feisty attitude so I don’t push her. Always always be the one to put them back in their cage while you’re training. So it’s not like they have to escape.

My first budgie my parents bought me was from a flea market of all things. He was wild. But I let him settle in, would talk to him gently as I fed him or changed his water out. I’d move slowly when rearranging his cage. Eventually he wasn’t scared of my hands. I then started to take him out of the cage, gently. I setup an area away from his cage, that was quiet and started working on step up. It took awhile for him to get it but eventually he would stay with me everywhere. Even on dog walks.

Now for your lovie. It may very well be his personality that you simply can’t train. If he doesn’t prefer to be loved on and have a lot of attention when it pleases you, don’t push it. As with horses, I have a rule to end on a good note. So possibly show him the food in one hand while prompting the step up motion with the other. If he does it well, give him the treat and decide for yourself and him if he’d like to keep trying. If he seems agitated stop after he does it once more and return him to his cage. Maybe even give him one when you place him in. He’ll start to trust you.

Do you know what type of lovebird he is? Fischer’s tend to be more forgiving. But then again, I currently have a very strong personality one who is feisty and likes to be babied. Lol. Good luck! It’s slow but it’s best to go at his speed for things. Read a few books as well on training and bird body language. That will help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts