Need some help from African Grey owners

TurdMcGurd

Apr 13, 2021
Hello, after wanting a Congo Grey for 30 years I've finally decided to get one. Perfect timing right? Prices are ridiculous compared to a few years ago.... I put a deposit down on an egg/baby back in April and now my future baby is 6 weeks old and looks healthy in the videos I've seen. I'm aware of Bird dust but I came across two videos recently that have me concerned. Can anyone confirm or deny if African Greys are as dusty as these two videos make it seem? Your help would be appreciated.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiIKs5IRA30"]Powder your nose with an African Grey Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1SzHC4ibQg"]Powder Vs. Oil Based Feathers - YouTube[/ame]

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Greys are very dusty. We have had greys almost all our lives and the dust is a major issue. It helps to have them misted/bathed regularly (twice a week if not more), clean the cage, dust the area, and if in a place where you can get one, own an air filter. Lots of dusting and cleaning to keep under control but oh, the joy of the grey! Wouldn’t change it for anything. Besides, makes me be a good housekeeper ��

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm quite familiar with the Timneh AG variety and find them similarly dusty as cockatoos, more so than Amazons. Powder can be mitigated to some degree with efficient non-ionizing air filters. Allow a budget for frequent changes if you have allergies.

Lol at first video, that's Jamie McLeod of Santa Barbara Bird Sanctuary, probably with her beloved "Babu." I met her a month ago, amazingly passionate with dynamic personality.

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Hi there! Good luck with your African Grey Parrot, and here's hoping that you enjoy him/her a great deal. As the proud owner of a now 12-year-old pet female captivity born-and-raised Congo African Grey parrot named Aziza, who I purchased when she was a 2.5 month old baby, I strongly recommend that you get an air purifier, in addition to doing the other stuff that you've been doing. I have an Austin Air Pet Machine Air purifier, which picks up 97% of the dust and I strongly recommend them. They are somewhat pricey, but they're worth it. Just one word of warning, in the even that you do decide to purchase an air purifier: Don't get one of these cheap plastic ones that you see in department stores. In addition to not being very affective, they often tend to off-gas, as well.

Get an air purifier with a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, because HEPA filters actually trap most of the dust, as opposed to diffusing it back out into the air and spreading it around. I strongly recommend the Austin Air pet machine, but there are a number of types of air purifiers, and they're made here in the United States. The manufacturing company is out in Buffalo, NY. Here is the website, if you're interested:

Austinair.com

Hope I've been of some help here. Best,

Miki

p. s. I'll also add that you should vacuum the sides of the air purifier, and to vacuum your smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors at least once a week, as well. Again, hope I've been of some help here.

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Greys are very dusty. We have had greys almost all our lives and the dust is a major issue. It helps to have them misted/bathed regularly (twice a week if not more), clean the cage, dust the area, and if in a place where you can get one, own an air filter. Lots of dusting and cleaning to keep under control but oh, the joy of the grey! Wouldn’t change it for anything. Besides, makes me be a good housekeeper ��
Getting a good HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Arrest) filtered air purifier is of utmost importance if one owns an African Grey Parrot, or any other powder-down bird. I have the Austin Air Pet Machine, which picks up 97% of the dust, and it does a good job. Allergies or no allergies, it's important to have one. The manufacturers of the Austin Air Purifiers is located out in Buffalo, NY, here in the United States. I change the inner filter every 6 months. The Austin Air website is as follows; austinair.com

Hope I've been of some help here.

CraigH

Mar 31, 2022
Dustiest creatures on the planet. I purchased a pair of Coway HEPA air purifiers to sit next two mine's two favorite perching spots, and they've been working wonders. I vacuum the screening whenever I clean the apartment, and it's been great.

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)
Hello, after wanting a Congo Grey for 30 years I've finally decided to get one. Perfect timing right? Prices are ridiculous compared to a few years ago.... I put a deposit down on an egg/baby back in April and now my future baby is 6 weeks old and looks healthy in the videos I've seen. I'm aware of Bird dust but I came across two videos recently that have me concerned. Can anyone confirm or deny if African Greys are as dusty as these two videos make it seem? Your help would be appreciated.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]MiIKs5IRA30[/MEDIA]"]Powder your nose with an African Grey Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Y1SzHC4ibQg[/MEDIA]"]Powder Vs. Oil Based Feathers - YouTube[/ame]
When Scooter the CAG came to live here, the first purchase was a large HEPA filter that sits near her cage, and runs 24/7. When I take her outside and the sun hits her, she fluffs her feathers and shakes, to clear off, and there's always a cloud of feather dust that comes off her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts