Need Thoughts & Prayers For My Brother

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
The family and horses are. Unfortunately not the house. Fingers crossed the house makes it. I am going to check in with him again in the am. The family and horses are safe in a neighboring town.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Great news! So happy everyone is safe!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The family and horses are. Unfortunately not the house. Fingers crossed the house makes it. I am going to check in with him again in the am. The family and horses are safe in a neighboring town.

Ugh that is still so scary! I'm so glad to hear that the family and horses are safe!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm just seeing this, and I'm so sorry to hear that your brother's home and property are being threatened by that fire. I'll make sure to keep him and his family in my prayers.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I am happy everyone is safe and sound and hopefully the house will make it too. Looking forward to the update.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Wow just reading this as well ...I wish your brother, his family, and his horses good luck...they are in my prayers

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Blanca, just now logged in and saw this. :( How absolutely scary!!! Do you have any updates for us yet? I know it's still nighttime in Cali, but I'll be eagerly watching this, and hoping for the very best outcome here!

LOVED the photos you attached. Your brother's love for the horses so shines through loud and clear!

HUGS to you and your family!!! :smile015:

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Keep them coming!

I just heard from my brother and the AWESOME fire fighters managed to hold the fire back from coming to his area. So the house is still good as of this morning. That is awesome news considering the Rocky fire doubled in size overnight. :eek:

My brother just told me that it is 12% contained which is about 6500 acres. The Rocky fire spans over 54000 acres as of today! It doubled in size since yesterday so they are still not out of the woods.

My brother was up until 3am in the morning last night helping others evacuate their horses. Now he is off to work. God bless him! :smile015:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so hoping that his house remains untouched and that they get these terrible fires under control quickly. I breathed a huge sigh of relief that he, family and pets are all safely out of harms way. How wonderful of him to help others as well.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Thanks Terry! At least everyone is safe. Just really hoping his house stays untouched as you said. Just got to take it day by day. Thank goodness for the wonderful firefighters who are working their butts off to keep people safe and save homes. They are doing a tremendous job with such a nasty fire!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I believe firefighters are unsung heroes, running in while everyone else runs out...I have the utmost respect for the job they do.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Yes, I totally agree with you on that one! ;)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Thanks Terry! At least everyone is safe. Just really hoping his house stays untouched as you said. Just got to take it day by day. Thank goodness for the wonderful firefighters who are working their butts off to keep people safe and save homes. They are doing a tremendous job with such a nasty fire!

Yep, take it one day at a time, its all anyone can do. Its amazingly wonderful how a community comes together when there is tragedy like this strikes. Each one helping his neighbor. Those firefighters are amazing. The job they do is incredible.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Just a little update for you - They are still not back in their home yet, it's still standing. Not sure when they will be able to go back as of yet. He is feeling a lot better now he said. So his moral has improved.

He met his son's fiancƩ's two children. They just moved back to Clear Lake. CA, where my brother is, from Texas. He took the two kids for a horseback ride yesterday. The kids have never been around horses before so they had an awesome time.

I'm glad he is finding comfort with his horses and family during this difficult time. Hopefully the end is near!

Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers! I truly believe that all the support helps! I will let you know once he gets back into his home!

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well as dry as the entire west is, unfortunately, this could be the worst fire season in memory.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Very true, its the worst many firefighters have seen. Some firefighters that have been doing this for over 30 years has never seen it this bad.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well this has been the one of the worst droughts in the recorded history of California. It's a 100 year drought. Everything is so dry, the slightest anything could set it off...

Great photos of your brother and those horses by the way... you can just tell the care he gives them.

We used to go to clear lake a few times a year back when I lived in Cali...

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Yeah, he starting to rethink whether he wants to stay there. But he loved that area and has lived up there all his adult life. So I doubt a move is in his future.

Those horses mean a lot to him. We both love animals. He has a way with those horses. I'm hoping to go back and visit him in a year or two. My kids can't wait to learn to ride with there Uncle. :D

Small world isn't it! We were born and raised in San Francisco. 2 of my siblings still live in California. But the rest of us are elsewhere.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I spent most of my adult life in California. Vast majority of it in the Bay Area, but my college years were SoCal. (Huntington Beach.)

That's my old stomping grounds... going up in flames.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I'm so glad that the house is still standing and just hope that this ordeal is over with soon for all affected.
That's great that he got to meet his soon to be grandkids! I bet that helped take his mind off everything that is going on, at least for a little while. When is the wedding?

Most Reactions