New adoptive parrot mom

Popeye v3

New member
Joined
May 21, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Parrots
Yellow nape amazon
I have a yellow nape amazon that I just now had to adopt from my parents because they are unable to take care of her properly anymore. I am the third generation of being a parent of this bird. I grew up around these kinds of birds because my dad was raising them for years, but tbh they were my least favorite pets. I asked my family to prepare for the eventuality of needing a home for this bird, but everyone has jobs and cats etc. so she is with me. This is fine now that she is here. I love her and she is part of our family so I am taking on this responsibility.

She needs a new cage so I am looking here for threads on that... Bird cages for less seems to be the way to go?

She needs a new diet so I am working on "pellet conversion" to Ruddy Branch pellets from a mix full of seeds and kibble (Vitakraft).

We have a cat Right now Popeye is room mates with 2 guinea pigs but I know she needs more socializing with people and we will have to have a place she can hang out with us, but the cat is already sequestered at various times of day because he is a terror and also used to hang out with a guinea pig so he thinks a cage is for him to get into (weird I know the guinea pig was like his older brother) or pet the friend inside.... Any suggestions for a plan to be able to get everyone social time without just musical bedrooms with doors shut?
 
Thank you for adopting a parrot. There are so many sitting in shelters.

There are some very experienced Amazon owners on here that will chime in and be more helpful than me. Yellow napes are beautiful parrots.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
WELCOME to the forum, and your parents are so lucky that you are taking on this girl. I have an Orange wing Amazon, and 4 other smaller parrots. I also have 3 cats. 2 of them really dont care much about the birds but I do have 1 who is a terror. We purchased scat matts for in front of the cages that prevent the terror from getting to the parrots. This enables us to have everyone together with out worring about the terror getting to the parrots. The terror who was named Rascal before we knew he was a preditor, is actually afraid of our Amazon (Lucy). She can fly back and forth from her cage in one room to her rope perch in another room with no problem. But when I get out the 4 smaller parrots I do put all 3 of the cats up to be on the safe side. Cats are by nature pedators. I wish you the best of luck with this endevor.
 
Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply. We are looking at scat mats possibly (cat likes to come from above if he can) and waiting on delivery of a new cage. Popeye seems to be acclimating a little and her cold is getting better. She was even talking last night (she has a large vocabulary).
 
We have 3 cats. That liked to sit on the cage. We couldn't find a bird safe scat mat. We (actually I)rolled up a thin blanket a few times till about 3 inches thick and covered last third of cage. The last of roll had a very few cayenne pepper flakes on top roll. It irritated cats nose. Was bird safe. It took about a week before cats stayed away. If they returned just rolled up blanket or towel and a couple of flakes kept them away. My CAG likes those flakes in her chop. (At least before she got sick.) My CAG isn't a chewer on her covers. She just needs to see out in one area. Consider something similar. I found and tried several scat mats. I covered cage with several blankets. Then put mats. My CAG chewed though a spot or two. I had to remove mat. It was serious frustration that made me I try the flakes. Powder would irritate everyone. I was worried that there would be mutual territory issues and serious injuries on both sides. If you do find a bird safe cat scat mat please post.
 
Hello, I forgot to mention that I only use the scat mats on the floors. I also use this which is another type of deterrent. Prickle-Anti-Cats-Network-Repellent-Deterrent which can be found at various stores.
This is just one of my cages. But hopefully it makes sense.
20260524_073207.webp
 
The electric is similar to what I have. It's for the dogs. My cage goes to the floor. Dogs pulled out tray to get dropped goodies. Tails, tongues, paws make excellent targets for my CAG. Cage is big enough to fit the 3 stooges. And about 4 feet high. Cats jump over mats to cage top. It's a running leap. Hence my annoyance trying protecting top.
 
Back
Top Bottom