New Adopted CAG

Jroyal14

Sep 13, 2014
Michigan
Parrots
12 y/o male African Grey (Mickey)
So yesterday I brought home a 12 yr old CAG, named Mickey. It was a pretty long drive back home but he did really well in the car. When I brought him home I let him go in his cage but I left the front door and the top open so he could have the option be in or out of the cage. He immediately climbed to the top and started to go through his entire vocabulary, which i thought was funny. He doesn't really want to step up, which is fine, but he will take treats from me. He also ate and drank some water last night. My question is, how long should I wait to really start trying to interact with him. I've been talking to him and he's been talking and making phone sounds which fooled me 3 times (and counting) already.

Victor

Sep 11, 2014
You have already started. Just keep going slow and you should be Fine . We seem to be in the same place. But you have one bird. And I have too. Three counting the teel. So your training should move a long much faster then mine. He is still getting to know you. So I would say you got a well cared for bird. And are on the right track. Just keep things simple for the next thew days as he gets to know you better.

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Shadow - Six year old Congo African Grey
congrats on the new addition!!

I just bought a grey who had two previous homes. She would take food from my hand so it sounds like you're in a similar situation. Mine took about two or three weeks to start giving me kisses but it was about a month after that before she would step up onto my hand. I am lucky, I didn't have to do hard-core training sessions, just approached her gently and slowly and often. She still shivers and seems a little shy when I approach her and she won't let me pet her but all things in good time. As I understand it, CAGs like to be handled on their own terms and because they are so intelligent they can be really sensitive but it sounds like you're on the right path

RachaelR

Oct 23, 2014
Crestwood, Kentucky
Parrots
Congo African Grey Parrot
I love hearing about adopted CAGs. They are so interesting. They all have different habits and vocabularies that go with the houses they were in. My Isaac had lots of sounds from his old house, but has lost many in the past year!

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Bless You for giving your Grey a chance at a good life. I've adopted a daughter, dog and GCC and for the most part adopted animals make better pets they realize you saved them, and are grateful. Bonita

Akuma

Oct 19, 2014
Dubai,UAE
Parrots
CAG,abudi
Indian redneck,Rio
Hi to all birds' lovers
This is my first thread. I'm a new member. I have CAG who is adopted.
Mine also took at least three weeks to let me pet him. Yes,they like to be pet under their own conditions.
I enjoy this forum and find it informative.
Thank you
Keep up the good work.

Most Reactions

Latest posts