New baby boy

Swifty_ano

Apr 3, 2013
Hi all,

I've had my baby boy got almost a week. He's 14 weeks old and fully weaned.
No he is opening up more and more each day.

I have noticed he doesn't bath by himself and he doesn't play with toys.
He has a shower with me every second day. He doesn't mind the water at all but he doesn't clean himself, he just sits under the water. My Alexandrine spreads his wings and has a blast.
Is it normal for him to not clean himself? Is it something he will learn by himself or should I be teaching him?

As for toys, he has heaps. In his cage there are all sorts of toys... Chewing toys, preening toys and foraging toys but he doesn't go near them :(
It's heart breaking because I know he would be bored.
I've tried showing him how to play but he's not interested.

Any advice?

Also, just any general bonding advice or just things I should be doing an shouldn't be doing would be great!

at 14 weeks he is still a baby getting use to his new surrounds just give him lots of cuddles and time he will start to play once he is fully settled and the same with the bathing all in good time and if your showering him ever second day he is ok.

I agree, just give him time. One thing you can try is when they are with you play with toys,and encourage them to try. I have one I am trying to get re-focused on toys. She is older but started ignoring her toys and shreddables and just wanted to breed all the time.

Now when she is out with me I offer her small toys and shake little things showing her how to play and shred and after the last few months of this she is becoming more active and chewing at things again.

Just give him some time. A week is a very short amount of time to jump into conclusions. Sounds like normal adjusting to me.

After I got the shower perch for Nalani, it took her about 2 weeks for her to start really enjoying it. The whole experience is new to him, so once again... give him some time.

For the toys, I agree with Peeker. He may not know what toys are and what they're for. So play with him and the toys to help teach him how to play with them. Hide some of his favorite treats in the toys and it'll encourage interest. Especially when he finds a sweet surprise.

Sounds like he's adjusting well so far, so I wouldn't be too worried. Congrats on your new baby boy and welcome to the ekkie family!

I too was in this position, believe me, Jules quickly grew out of it. The poor thing was shipped via carrier to me (flew first class, baby!) and was understandably frightened. He was not fully weaned and was just about 2 months old. He stood still in his cage when I was around and "talked" to himself in loud screechy bursts.
Now, he climbs out the food slot in his cage when I open it to feed him and begs to be played with. He poops on command and makes the biggest mess when he showers-- you say your alexandrine spreads his wings? Well Jules flaps them the whole time, making bath time very very wet.
Good luck!

I agree, just give him time. One thing you can try is when they are with you play with toys,and encourage them to try. I have one I am trying to get re-focused on toys. She is older but started ignoring her toys and shreddables and just wanted to breed all the time.

Now when she is out with me I offer her small toys and shake little things showing her how to play and shred and after the last few months of this she is becoming more active and chewing at things again.
hey peeker what is it your doing as i have one that is the same always in the box i have tried to get her back to playing but she is not interested , she is in the box so much she had forgot how to fly well i fix that problem but she wont play , she will sit with me nibble on my ears and do stuff with me but wont play with toys.

Oliver is 7 months old. He does not contribute any help whatsoever when he showers with me. Perhaps I'm not encouraging him! I hold him under the spray and "I" lift his wings to get them soaked and once he looks pretty much like a drowned rat (so cute!) I place him on his shower perch and it is then that he starts flapping to beat the band to get some of the water off. And a good part of the day he is busy preening...

hey peeker what is it your doing as i have one that is the same always in the box i have tried to get her back to playing but she is not interested , she is in the box so much she had forgot how to fly well i fix that problem but she wont play , she will sit with me nibble on my ears and do stuff with me but wont play with toys.

I've never offered mine a box before because female ekkies are already so focused on breeding. The box makes it worse.

Tina is probably 20 now. She is very bonded to me and runs to the bottom on the cage whenever she sees me. I had hoped to stop the behavior by giving her less attention but that only made it worse.

I've been taking her out and spending time with her on a tabletop stand next to me every day. I encourage her to move about by having a ladder she has to climb across to get to me. I only give her head scritches even though she tries for more. ;) I hold toys and fuss them around her beak to get her to interract. At first she was ignoring them but she is starting to play with them more now. She also does not wing flap or act like she could ever fly, so I am lofting her onto the bed a couple times each day to try and get her to use her wings.

Since I have been doing these things I've noticed she is mouthing things more, her eyes are more reactive...she just appears to be more aware of everything. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back