New baby!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Omg, I see you named her Cricket! A perfect name, and itā€™s what our dearly departed cockatiel was named also.

So so happy for you and Rico. What a great baby sibling for him!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Unless a budgie is hand raised or otherwise pre-tamed, it usually takes weeks or months to even begin to get to where Cricket is with you after two days. I'd say you're either a Bird Whisperer or you got Cricket from a Taxidermist that put bendable wire in a little yellow budgie so you could pose her and fool us all into thinking Cricket is real orb 5 really are a Bird Whisperer!
I think the nursing home needs to increase the dose of your medication.
I honestly like to think I am a bird whisperer, however I think there are numerous factors that play into why I have a good amount of trust. 1. She came from a breeder here in Alaska (you can find them on birdbreeders.com, theyā€™re the only registered one) and could have been hand raised. 2. Ricoā€™s comfort and trust in me that she observed could have also showed her ā€œoh, hooman is nice? Human doesnā€™t eat bird? Ok!ā€. 3. The friendly interaction on day one and baby-talking. There isnā€™t any (fairly priced) spray millet in town so I am still waiting petzoo to restock on their giant ziploc bag of millet that they sell for 3 bucks and their huge cuttleboneā€™s for 2. And I am waiting on petco to get a cuttle holder. As of right now, Iā€™m just scraping some unused cuttle into her food.

Yup, I totally got a taxidermy of a lutino baby off EBay and I am posing it with my cockatiel plush! Andā€¦ waitā€¦ what was i saying? My Alzheimerā€™s is kicking inā€¦. Who are you again? Why am I typing? What am I typing? Hpw do u tyle? Ah sh** I forgor my meds agen. Who are you?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Omg, I see you named her Cricket! A perfect name, and itā€™s what our dearly departed cockatiel was named also.

So so happy for you and Rico. What a great baby sibling for him!
Yeah! I thought it was perfect for her!

Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your Cricket. What were they like?

Thank you! Rico and Cricks like each other too! Seeing him next to her is absurd considering he is 2.7x her size, he feels about 10+x her weight, yet she isnā€™t really scared of him! Itā€™s quite interesting to see their relationship. Crickbread likes being around him and goes nuts whenever he is too far away, yet he prefers to passively be around her (near but not next to), although, he will perch next to her some times!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I honestly like to think I am a bird whisperer, however I think there are numerous factors that play into why I have a good amount of trust. 1. She came from a breeder here in Alaska (you can find them on birdbreeders.com, theyā€™re the only registered one) and could have been hand raised. 2. Ricoā€™s comfort and trust in me that she observed could have also showed her ā€œoh, hooman is nice? Human doesnā€™t eat bird? Ok!ā€. 3. The friendly interaction on day one and baby-talking. There isnā€™t any (fairly priced) spray millet in town so I am still waiting petzoo to restock on their giant ziploc bag of millet that they sell for 3 bucks and their huge cuttleboneā€™s for 2. And I am waiting on petco to get a cuttle holder. As of right now, Iā€™m just scraping some unused cuttle into her food.

Yup, I totally got a taxidermy of a lutino baby off EBay and I am posing it with my cockatiel plush! Andā€¦ waitā€¦ what was i saying? My Alzheimerā€™s is kicking inā€¦. Who are you again? Why am I typing? What am I typing? Hpw do u tyle? Ah sh** I forgor my meds agen. Who are you?
Did you get Cricket at a pet store or directly from the breeder?
The breeder may have pre-tamed Cricket by taking her out and handling her a lot when she was in the nest. It wouldn't have been necessary to actually hand feed her.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Welp, cricket ALMOST killed herself because I was too stupid to take my momā€™s advice. She STUCK HER HEAD THROUGH THE BARS and almost got stuck. So, I set up the smaller cage for her safety. I do feel a little bad that she has less space, but itā€™s better safe than sorry. When she is bigger, I will see if she can be in her bigger cage safely. If not, Iā€™m gonna see if I can convince my mom to sell the cage and get a new one with that money. I may have to look into a prevue table top flight cage ( like This or This) as it would be about the same size with safer bar spacing. And itā€™s not over 100$ since we will probably sell the cage for what we got it for.
2AA08701-4181-40DC-BDA2-6A6A39324C97.jpeg
EA05A1F1-F6BA-40B9-888F-3349EA9FCB41.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Did you get Cricket at a pet store or directly from the breeder?
The breeder may have pre-tamed Cricket by taking her out and handling her a lot when she was in the nest. It wouldn't have been necessary to actually hand feed her.
I got her from a pet sore who gets their budgies from a local breeder in anchorage. I suspect that once she was old enough to be picked up by petzoo, she was taken there and put into the tank with other babies I believe the breeder gives the most frequent ā€œshipmentsā€ to the anchorage and Wasilla petzoos. The other ones? Not too sure about them, but I know that ours gets theirs from that anchorage breeder.

Because, why buy many birds and loose many in cross-country shipments by either asphyxiation, starvation, sickness, or literally being crushed, when you could guarantee over 95% of them survive the short transit in a warm van? It wouldnā€™t make sense to spend lots of money on birds who die in transit or before they can be sold to make back revenue, right?

Petzoo clearly cares about their birds too! Many toys, accessibility for them, gentle handling (no netting bs, just a gentle grab and they carefully place the bird in your or their carrier.), and they even support proper husbandry for them! They sell healthy treats, good toys, pellets (not the best ones imo but they sell them!), they take great care of fish, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, avians, invertebrates such as tarantulas, and they even take care of their rabbits! Love the business so much!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
put old yeller outta commission.

04F39D04-841F-49C0-8B36-91F1D2461BAB.jpeg

And I put ancient holler back into commission.
2B0CBFD3-01EC-4461-B965-E0275BD886D9.jpeg

I feel like crick likes this one better despite the smaller size. I donā€™t know why. Anyone know why or have a theory on why she prefers the smaller cage?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I got her from a pet sore who gets their budgies from a local breeder in anchorage. I suspect that once she was old enough to be picked up by petzoo, she was taken there and put into the tank with other babies I believe the breeder gives the most frequent ā€œshipmentsā€ to the anchorage and Wasilla petzoos. The other ones? Not too sure about them, but I know that ours gets theirs from that anchorage breeder.

Because, why buy many birds and loose many in cross-country shipments by either asphyxiation, starvation, sickness, or literally being crushed, when you could guarantee over 95% of them survive the short transit in a warm van? It wouldnā€™t make sense to spend lots of money on birds who die in transit or before they can be sold to make back revenue, right?

Petzoo clearly cares about their birds too! Many toys, accessibility for them, gentle handling (no netting bs, just a gentle grab and they carefully place the bird in your or their carrier.), and they even support proper husbandry for them! They sell healthy treats, good toys, pellets (not the best ones imo but they sell them!), they take great care of fish, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, avians, invertebrates such as tarantulas, and they even take care of their rabbits! Love the business so much!
It sounds like a great place to get a good budgie (but there are no bad budgies, just bad people). I wonder where the budgies sold in Maine come from?

I just googled Petzoo and learned that Alaska is the only State with PetZoo. Looks like a terrific store!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
It sounds like a great place to get a good budgie (but there are no bad budgies, just bad people). I wonder where the budgies sold in Maine come from?

I just googled Petzoo and learned that Alaska is the only State with PetZoo. Looks like a terrific store!
Its fantastic! I love the business! And you are right, no bad bird, just bad people. Depending on what place(s) youā€™re talking about. Petco/petsmart get theirs from the Kaytee Preferred Birds Program (in other words, horrific mills, where birds are bred until they die and kept in abhorrent conditions.) in florida. If itā€™s a bird specialty store, Iā€™d say probably a local breeder or they themselves are breeders. If itā€™s a smaller business like petzoo, then Iā€™d say they are or source their birds from a local breeder.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Eating seebs!
6851A11C-C85D-4E23-87B9-A908B9695BC6.jpeg
A725B440-0376-448C-9BD1-5D816F1E38BE.jpeg

Lookinā€™ Sassy!
0F68FF57-9903-4F58-9A8B-35E6C1252A70.jpeg
97A8853A-87EC-4832-9892-EFA4574E973B.jpeg
D1A67D4E-01A1-411D-BF32-DD961AC1AFD5.jpeg
2DD058FA-A42B-411A-95D8-8C8B06C08C1E.jpeg

Rico scratching his head! Look at his pants!

D0D1347D-F2CF-4FC3-8191-3A08B91FB47A.jpeg
B44C7C80-ACF3-4B8C-AF27-C48CE0073B57.jpeg
CB8387AE-FBE3-4247-8BF4-9E9568A03877.jpeg
635FA127-6698-401B-916C-7CADEF78CB35.jpeg
923F4927-9D0D-47E8-9B65-223A585BFA1F.jpeg
0C506D6D-A356-4EC4-92FA-D9290442C79A.jpeg
02410CFD-C966-4206-BC16-A5C2C9ED49E3.jpeg
8CF6207A-FBB7-4917-B6C2-6779D4DE5BB1.jpeg

No thoughts, just seeb.

BDE45CBC-4296-4121-83FA-E6518EC5D685.jpeg
EA89FE8A-D5FD-417B-BF5A-DEDC7DC042EC.jpeg

Is it a bird? Is it a bug? Well- yes and no. Itā€™s cricket!

7391F84C-61CB-4882-BA6A-817EB869751D.jpeg

1211FC62-0EF0-4D13-BBBF-016F1AD25816.jpeg

Attachments

• 16710A9B-AB30-455F-AFEA-E4CED7DABFAC.jpeg
    16710A9B-AB30-455F-AFEA-E4CED7DABFAC.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 25

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Just gonna say it....that might be the yellowest yellow I've ever yellowed.....and it MIGHT be the most monocromatic cockatiel I've ever monochromaticited. (not even sure that is a word).n Not a touch of orange cheek.

You sure can pick em.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Just gonna say it....that might be the yellowest yellow I've ever yellowed.....and it MIGHT be the most monocromatic cockatiel I've ever monochromaticited. (not even sure that is a word).n Not a touch of orange cheek.

You sure can pick em.
She is very VERY yellow! Sheā€™s definitely got great genes! She looks like a pocket of sunshine! And I agree! She is 100% the yellowest yellow to ever yellow! Her yellow makes a laughing stock out of our wild dandelions! She puts sunflowers to shame! She turns those sunflowers into moonflowers out of shame!

Surprisingly, Rico is very colorful, but not in the way you are thinking! You can find several shades of gray and black when looking at him up close! I call these shades: Charcoal, Slate, Asphalt, Silver, Midnight, and opal!

Slate and asphalt are the lighter grays found on his breast, pants, and Butt. Silver is found exclusively in his tail since itā€™s a very nice light gray! Charcoal is found on a few tail feathers, his wings, and his cape. Midnight is exclusively on the underside of his charcoal tail feathers. Opal is the white you find on his wings, back of the head, face, and his heart shaped butt mark!

I have no clue how I end up with the prettiest and friendliest birds! And I have no clue how my heart is like ā€œhmm, oh! That one! Yesssssss perfect!ā€ And it ends up being just right haha

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She is very VERY yellow! Sheā€™s definitely got great genes! She looks like a pocket of sunshine! And I agree! She is 100% the yellowest yellow to ever yellow! Her yellow makes a laughing stock out of our wild dandelions! She puts sunflowers to shame! She turns those sunflowers into moonflowers out of shame!

Surprisingly, Rico is very colorful, but not in the way you are thinking! You can find several shades of gray and black when looking at him up close! I call these shades: Charcoal, Slate, Asphalt, Silver, Midnight, and opal!

Slate and asphalt are the lighter grays found on his breast, pants, and Butt. Silver is found exclusively in his tail since itā€™s a very nice light gray! Charcoal is found on a few tail feathers, his wings, and his cape. Midnight is exclusively on the underside of his charcoal tail feathers. Opal is the white you find on his wings, back of the head, face, and his heart shaped butt mark!

I have no clue how I end up with the prettiest and friendliest birds! And I have no clue how my heart is like ā€œhmm, oh! That one! Yesssssss perfect!ā€ And it ends up being just right haha
I love Cricket's brilliant shade of yellow but I also think Rico's "fifty shades of grey" are just as beautiful in a different way. But I think all our birds are beautiful, even the ones that wouldn't win a beauty contest.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I love Cricket's brilliant shade of yellow but I also think Rico's "fifty shades of grey" are just as beautiful in a different way. But I think all our birds are beautiful, even the ones that wouldn't win a beauty contest.
I also love their colors! such magnificent colors and shades! Cricket is a very bright and bold lighting yellow, while Rico is a very sophisticated and muted beauty! They contrast in so many ways that they just are perfect!

Rico is a very sophisticated and laid back, yet crazy bird with a short temper and a big heart!

Cricket is a very messy and crazy who is rarely angry and has more about her to discover!

They are also quite alike! They are both on Miami crackhead levels of crazy, they both enjoy destruction, both super loveable, and both are a bit stinky!

Love them so much!

Bingo! There is no such thing as an ugly bird!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Cricket follows Rico around on the play stand. He doesnā€™t seem annoyed by it but he definitely does prefer me over her. They have played together today, Rico has sang to her, and he does show interest in her. He is taking a liking to her!
2FB097AD-AD0E-4B09-A20C-4300B662D6A5.jpeg
E9567350-ADD2-444F-8E94-915B40F68BBD.jpeg
98CA2C64-645F-43F0-B904-020FCF8C4427.jpeg
309C7057-46D8-4D2B-A051-91DC3F4E92C1.jpeg
E889AB13-C507-4455-98D9-DC05D16F59D8.jpeg
077663AE-DFF8-4733-AE23-941CF240FBA3.jpeg
6F77BAF5-8882-45AA-A319-6183AFCC9E5D.jpeg
AB867301-AD26-4198-B4A2-CE8726FBA901.jpeg
EC9D844F-34B1-476E-8A0F-85831966CD9C.jpeg

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel