Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
When is this? Of just get up early and give her lots of love, put some cartoons on the TV, and leave them on
Time changed, we are leaving in about 10 minutes. (It’s 11:57AM rn) I will put on some amazing world of gumball for my two little gremlins! Thank you!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
And when you get home give her lots of love for a half hour before going to sleep. I'm sure she will be fine but I understand how you feel- it kills me to have to leave Rocky from 7:30am till 8:30pm every Sunday and Monday when we work 11 hour shifts.
Will do! I gave her some freedom a bit ago and adjusted her setup so she is a little less inclined to escape.

Oh wow, 11 hour shifts? How do you not scream and cry every Sunday and Monday before your shifts? How do you not just rip out your hair and sob on the sidewalk??? Working for 11 hours just sounds like hell!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
New setup who dis?
E9930E65-CBA5-4A10-B2B6-E337647A69DA.jpeg

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Cricket is beautiful! And clearly she hit the birdie jackpot when you picked her to bring home!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Cricket is beautiful! And clearly she hit the birdie jackpot when you picked her to bring home!
She truly is! She already has so much personality! Sassy, smart, and mischievous already! I’m so happy I picked her!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Well, cricket escaped her cage again. Thankfully I asked my mom to check on her! She is now going in the travel cage. When I get back, I’ll figure out how on earth she really escaped (I have a theory but nothing to really back it too much) and fix that asap. The travel/sleeping/hospital cage is big enough for Rico to sit in comfortably and not spaz out from claustrophobia so she will have plenty of space. The anxiety is eating me away.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I'm getting the feeling you pick a handful :LOL: Have one myself. Incredibly fun, but also stress inducing :ROFLMAO:
Btw about leaving her at home while you go out, she has Rico she will be completely fine. If she was your only bird you could be concerned but she is not alone. Whenever I work I leave my birds for 11 hours or more.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I'm getting the feeling you pick a handful :LOL: Have one myself. Incredibly fun, but also stress inducing :ROFLMAO:
Btw about leaving her at home while you go out, she has Rico she will be completely fine. If she was your only bird you could be concerned but she is not alone. Whenever I work I leave my birds for 11 hours or more.
I definitely did! And it’s super fun! She’s just too clever! Now she’s locked in a cricket proof “jail” That even she, my most savvy parrot so far, can’t escape! It has guillotine doors that can latch and a front latch that is impossible for even the smartest of parrot (excluding those w/ big beaks ofc) to bust out of! She’s got some hours to be in there but it’s best to be safe than sorry!

Then, I’ll be able to figure out how she escaped and patch it.

Cardboard does seem to work, BUT the way I did it failed. It seems she lifted the top layer of cardboard and burrowed under it and slipped out. It only makes sense, right? The edge wasn’t shredded, the center was a little chewed, and I made the mistake of leaving the front barer than the rest, so it wouldn’t be a stretch to assume she slipped under and out, right? So maybe I need to tweak the edges and ensure ALL of it is covered the same? I dunno but my design worked for an hour.

She’s definitely a handful and it’s fun to deal with! And I never expected her to be so savvy and mischievous! Now she’s in a cage in the middle of my room, with a few toys, and is waiting for me to return. Hopefully she isn’t too upset with me!

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
One of my methods for dealing with my Sunbeam is distraction. I am sure you don't know how destructive you're Cricket is yet, but for my Sunbeam I give her big toys for her work on.
This is a medium sized toy that can occupy her for about a week (it does have the potential to trigger hormones though, so supervision is recommended).
20230214_153017.jpg

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
One of my methods for dealing with my Sunbeam is distraction. I am sure you don't know how destructive you're Cricket is yet, but for my Sunbeam I give her big toys for her work on.
This is a medium sized toy that can occupy her for about a week (it does have the potential to trigger hormones though, so supervision is recommended).
View attachment 50927
I don’t have the money to afford any large toys at the moment, just small ones. But, when I get my bday money on my birthday, I’ll buy toys for both cricket and Rico and more perches. As of right now though, all she wants is to be out of her cage! She’s certainly a free spirit!

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I don’t have the money to afford any large toys at the moment, just small ones. But, when I get my bday money on my birthday, I’ll buy toys for both cricket and Rico and more perches. As of right now though, all she wants is to be out of her cage! She’s certainly a free spirit!
Understand that! You can try making her a foraging tray?
I'd caution against letting her out constantly though, I know out time is beneficial and all but you do not want to create a dissatisfied bird. Even if we think we can keep up with them there will eventually be time they have to be caged for extended periods of time. We have to teach them to be satisfied to be in their cage.
Sunbeam recently also had a phase of constantly wanting to be out. She'd run around the floor of her cage trying to find gaps, she'd stand and chew at the door (making a really annoying noise). I avoided letting her out when she was doing any of those things. I needed to teach her she can only come out when I can properly supervise her which is not everytime she wants. Now she doesn't really do those things and can come out whenever I am ready.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Understand that! You can try making her a foraging tray?
I'd caution against letting her out constantly though, I know out time is beneficial and all but you do not want to create a dissatisfied bird. Even if we think we can keep up with them there will eventually be time they have to be caged for extended periods of time. We have to teach them to be satisfied to be in their cage.
Sunbeam recently also had a phase of constantly wanting to be out. She'd run around the floor of her cage trying to find gaps, she'd stand and chew at the door (making a really annoying noise). I avoided letting her out when she was doing any of those things. I needed to teach her she can only come out when I can properly supervise her which is not everytime she wants. Now she doesn't really do those things and can come out whenever I am ready.
Absolutely brilliant! I do want to get her a tray when I can get a little tray and can perfect my crinkle paper technique. I didn’t even think about teaching her to be satisfied in her cage. She has toys and several perches now, all she’s gotta learn is that she can come out when I am ready, just as Rico did (on his own but still). And that escaping is unacceptable. I understand being a bird and wanting to be free 24/7 but my environment isn’t fully safe (wires, dirt usually on my floor from my feet, and crevices to be stuck in. Rico is okay with this as he can fly and doesn’t really hang out on the floor, he is too big to get caught in those crevices, and the exposed wires that he wants are next to me. But with cricket? It’s the opposite.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
guess who found a new solution to cricket’s escape plan? Me! I wedged cardboard that cannot be slid around as I actually measured it and cut it to that measurement. I added more cardboard (she didn’t burrow out, she just kicked the cardboard back.) and now she absolutely cannot escape while I am in the house. When I leave the house, I put her in the hospital cage with a few toys, perches, and food/water so she 100% cannot get out as cardboard is just a temporary solution. It worked like a charm.

In other news, she has figured out how to scare Rico away from her if he gets a little too close.

She also can sit on the same perch as him!
487257E3-3120-419D-8976-84A5111886F4.jpeg

As you can see, he is a nanosecond away from jumping onto my phone. He got worked up over the phone and was overexcited about it. But they can sit peacefully together.

I went to the pet store and got cricket a (overpriced) toy to shred. She hasn’t touched it since I just added it and she is out and about right now.

In other other news, she doesn’t get super uncomfortable when I put my head near her. I do believe that Rico is helping this taming process ten fold by just being willing to hang out with me and let me scritch him around her.

That’s all I’ve got for today!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
FE66DCC7-CE58-4838-B00A-7B2B423FA0B4.jpeg

Pictures of my little marshmallows!

4B5174D3-F0EE-4031-A235-A5F1C293C6CA.jpeg

Asking for scritches!

F24E82E8-FCC0-4199-8B19-33A91738C098.jpeg

Preen preen preen!

FE66DCC7-CE58-4838-B00A-7B2B423FA0B4.jpeg
57D2A330-6EE0-44A5-A1B9-8B8F2F017880.jpeg

My little peep preening!
7EE37E51-51E3-406E-8C3C-1F6E39BF8D12.jpeg
F39AD7A0-792A-4CBC-99A3-98F55980DF64.jpeg
9D4B0A18-D3B4-4AE4-A71C-B2C4A961A542.jpeg

1 burb on a wire!
0D587B94-8283-47F2-BF1A-0119060BCC70.jpeg

2 birds on a wire?

9ED3BA7A-D33D-496B-92EF-3A9B74F8D4DC.jpeg

Huh?

AAF8BD48-3869-4491-BD97-AE38FD67B385.jpeg

GIMME DA PHONE!

26FA7DDE-0F43-47BB-9B88-C09388E28A03.jpeg

Amgry. ÒvÓ

023FD255-684D-47ED-B296-D96A993A616E.jpeg

Grip wif da Peets!

0A931F19-9FE8-4794-B9DE-9F3CD2424361.jpeg

Hemlo!

70CF721B-1E1F-4E1B-AFE9-596AFE037608.jpeg

My marshmallows! A poofy marshmallow, and a peep marshmallow!

4B786F6E-7F93-45B1-A741-F14C9CD5E0B5.jpeg

Steppy step!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Someone isn’t spazzing out for once. I think she realized that she can hop from perch to perch.
C1144CBD-701C-4C96-8A74-A4949430D4C6.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We like it because my husband and I both work there and we arranged to work the same hours- 8am to 7pm Sun and Mon and 3pm to 9pm Tues and Wed. Then we are off together every Wed, Thurs, and Fri so we have a three day "weekend" every week.
Well, cricket escaped her cage again. Thankfully I asked my mom to check on her! She is now going in the travel cage. When I get back, I’ll figure out how on earth she really escaped (I have a theory but nothing to really back it too much) and fix that asap. The travel/sleeping/hospital cage is big enough for Rico to sit in comfortably and not spaz out from claustrophobia so she will have plenty of space. The anxiety is eating me aa

I definitely did! And it’s super fun! She’s just too clever! Now she’s locked in a cricket proof “jail” That even she, my most savvy parrot so far, can’t escape! It has guillotine doors that can latch and a front latch that is impossible for even the smartest of parrot (excluding those w/ big beaks ofc) to bust out of! She’s got some hours to be in there but it’s best to be safe than sorry!

Then, I’ll be able to figure out how she escaped and patch it.

Cardboard does seem to work, BUT the way I did it failed. It seems she lifted the top layer of cardboard and burrowed under it and slipped out. It only makes sense, right? The edge wasn’t shredded, the center was a little chewed, and I made the mistake of leaving the front barer than the rest, so it wouldn’t be a stretch to assume she slipped under and out, right? So maybe I need to tweak the edges and ensure ALL of it is covered the same? I dunno but my design worked for an hour.

She’s definitely a handful and it’s fun to deal with! And I never expected her to be so savvy and mischievous! Now she’s in a cage in the middle of my room, with a few toys, and is waiting for me to return. Hopefully she isn’t too upset with me!

Someone isn’t spazzing out for once. I think she realized that she can hop from perch to perch. View attachment 50953
Cricket is the perfect budgie for you and Rico.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
We like it because my husband and I both work there and we arranged to work the same hours- 8am to 7pm Sun and Mon and 3pm to 9pm Tues and Wed. Then we are off together every Wed, Thurs, and Fri so we have a three day "weekend" every week.

Cricket is the perfect budgie for you and Rico.
Sounds like a good schedule and a good job! AND a 3 day weekend?! That sounds awesome! And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t work! From what I heard, work sucks. It REALLY sucks. So a 3 day weekend? That sounds good!

She absolutely is! She is like if you took Rico, added more Miami crackhead energy, and that classic budgie hen anger, and viola! You have a tiny ball of floof who is absolutely insane, ridiculous, has Rico’s rage x10, And has the climbing ability of a spider. She is crazy! And that’s why she meshes well here. Rico is crazy, my dog is crazy, crazy runs in my family (which is funny since it’s one of the few things than can run in my family. half of my family can’t even run because they don’t want to, can’t, or are dead lol), so she fits in very well. AND she gets just as spoiled as rico! And she is very talkative! Which matches rico and I since neither of us stop talking haha

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Sounds like a good schedule and a good job! AND a 3 day weekend?! That sounds awesome! And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t work! From what I heard, work sucks. It REALLY sucks. So a 3 day weekend? That sounds good!

She absolutely is! She is like if you took Rico, added more Miami crackhead energy, and that classic budgie hen anger, and viola! You have a tiny ball of floof who is absolutely insane, ridiculous, has Rico’s rage x10, And has the climbing ability of a spider. She is crazy! And that’s why she meshes well here. Rico is crazy, my dog is crazy, crazy runs in my family (which is funny since it’s one of the few things than can run in my family. half of my family can’t even run because they don’t want to, can’t, or are dead lol), so she fits in very well. AND she gets just as spoiled as rico! And she is very talkative! Which matches rico and I since neither of us stop talking haha
Unless a budgie is hand raised or otherwise pre-tamed, it usually takes weeks or months to even begin to get to where Cricket is with you after two days. I'd say you're either a Bird Whisperer or you got Cricket from a Taxidermist that put bendable wire in a little yellow budgie so you could pose her and fool us all into thinking Cricket is real orb 5 really are a Bird Whisperer!
I think the nursing home needs to increase the dose of your medication.

Most Reactions

Latest posts