New behavior

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
MODS please feel free to amend this post, using asstrix'es, as I realize we are PG .

I have a budgie that seems to be female, and is furiously M*st*rb*t*ng against a wooden beaded wire bridge. I've seen it done several times and it's kind of obvious. I don't want to interrupt, but I don't really know what to do? Ignore it? Stop it? I don't have any hidey huts or anything maybe it picked out a spot.

It's the white one if that helps.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
MODS please feel free to amend this post, using asstrix'es, as I realize we are PG .

I have a budgie that seems to be female, and is furiously M*st*rb*t*ng against a wooden beaded wire bridge. I've seen it done several times and it's kind of obvious. I don't want to interrupt, but I don't really know what to do? Ignore it? Stop it? I don't have any hidey huts or anything maybe it picked out a spot.

Donā€™t worry! Thereā€™s lots of threads about birds doing this, I donā€™t think itā€™ll be a problem!
When I see any of my birds jumping toys/perches/etc. I rearrange their cage and maybe remove the object theyā€™re being naughty with.
Limiting excess carbs/sugar/fat in the diet helps too.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Well I have nine birds and some are wholesome with it. 6 budgies a quaker and two conures....a sun and and a GCC not at age two yet. I can't just remove all the toys... they all share the same area. The bigger birds know not to bully the budgies so I have a conundrum.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
moving the bridge might help for a while thats good advice..... thank you zERO.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I'm just gonna bump with is there any other advice on birds doing this?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I don't understand why you want to do anything to stop your birds from "pleasuring themselves". It's natural behavior. All animals do it. Unless you are trying to stop egg laying (another issue altogether) I don't see the point.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I removed a toy for this very reason and what did Syd do? Found an alternative pretty quickly. I have watched him fly from one side of the room to the toy as the thought crosses his mind. I have got over the embarrassment and just ignore him. At least he isn't focusing on any part of my anatomy for his entertainment!! :mad: LOL I just looked up and he is at it right now as I type.

Most Reactions

Latest posts