New Conure bites

SunsetOwner

May 24, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
Hi all, I have a Pineapple conure and I’ve been training with it for a few days. I think I’ve gone wrong somewhere with the training.

It happily comes to my hand but now bites if I don’t give it a treat.

How can I undo this behaviour?

OP
S

SunsetOwner

May 24, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
I think it is recommended to place the bird back in the cage immediately. It’s called time out.
That makes sense, I will try this. Is there an amount of time for the time out?

OP
S

SunsetOwner

May 24, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
I also have another question. How do I get my conure to take a bath? It’s not completely tame yet. I don’t want to scare it.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the Forums!

The conure is probably biting because it’s in a new environment. The best thing you can do is go at the birds pace.

I don’t recommend using time out as punishment. This tells the bird that their cage is a punishment and they shouldn’t want to be in there.
I recommend distraction. If to e bird bites, show distract it with something, not food though or petting as that could be viewed as s reward.

Target training is also a fantastic way to bond with a birds in a hands off way.

I also have another question. How do I get my conure to take a bath? It’s not completely tame yet. I don’t want to scare it.
Most conures love water. My conures water bowl is a stainless steel 20oz. He bathes in it 2-3 times a week.
Using a spray bottle that has a very fine mist is also a great way to encourage bathing. Spray above the bird not at it. The goal is to have the water fall on the bird like rain.

OP
S

SunsetOwner

May 24, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
Welcome to the Forums!

The conure is probably biting because it’s in a new environment. The best thing you can do is go at the birds pace.

I don’t recommend using time out as punishment. This tells the bird that their cage is a punishment and they shouldn’t want to be in there.
I recommend distraction. If to e bird bites, show distract it with something, not food though or petting as that could be viewed as s reward.

Target training is also a fantastic way to bond with a birds in a hands off way.

Most conures love water. My conures water bowl is a stainless steel 20oz. He bathes in it 2-3 times a week.
Using a spray bottle that has a very fine mist is also a great way to encourage bathing. Spray above the bird not at it. The goal is to have the water fall on the bird like rain.
Thank you for the insight. I am really enjoying owning a conure. It’s the best pet I’ve ever had. So much personality. I have so much to learn about them.

Most Reactions