Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Violet Green Cheeked Conure
I've gotten a new Conure. It's been really difficult though. Unlike my first bird, it seems to be scared of hands. It's hard to tell if it's tamed or not. It allows pets, but runs away and bites hands. I've gotten 4 nasty bites from it already. I'm not sure how to approach this. My first bird never came like this. He was an instant sweetheart. He doesn't take food from my hand so I don't know to get him to trust me. He's stepped up once or twice. I'm not sure how I can get it to not be afraid of hands. I know I'm going to get bit, and that's a part of the process. I just don't know how to approach it now. It seems rather comfortable already. As I write this it's sitting on a perch, fluffed up, and preening itself. (outside of its cage.)

Attachments

• 20221101_110300.jpg
    20221101_110300.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 43
  • 20221101_203305.jpg
    20221101_203305.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 42
OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
I've gotten a new Conure. It's been really difficult though. Unlike my first bird, it seems to be scared of hands. It's hard to tell if it's tamed or not. It allows pets, but runs away and bites hands. I've gotten 4 nasty bites from it already. I'm not sure how to approach this. My first bird never came like this. He was an instant sweetheart. He doesn't take food from my hand so I don't know to get him to trust me. He's stepped up once or twice. I'm not sure how I can get it to not be afraid of hands. I know I'm going to get bit, and that's a part of the process. I just don't know how to approach it now. It seems rather comfortable already. As I write this it's sitting on a perch, fluffed up, and preening itself. (outside of its cage.)
another thing is.. it only like my other bird's cage? It will leave its cage and fly over to the perch connected to the side of it and relax. I don't want to switch cages or switch positions. I don't wanna take the stuff away from my bird as well. It's an issue because my bird isn't a fan. He seems to be a bit territorial and wants to attack the other Conure. I've thought about gloves; I heard it's bad but wasn't told why though.

Last edited:

Zeeby

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 pineapple green cheek conure
maybe try holding the food in the food dish and offering it that way so that it might feel more comfortable eating from your hand, it is a very pretty bird and I'm sure it will come to trust you eventually. it just might be difficult trying to find the birds way of doing things. especially since it won't eat out of your hand. maybe try offering different treats that might be more tempting and just try to talk to it softly while offering the food.

OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
maybe try holding the food in the food dish and offering it that way so that it might feel more comfortable eating from your hand, it is a very pretty bird and I'm sure it will come to trust you eventually. it just might be difficult trying to find the birds way of doing things. especially since it won't eat out of your hand. maybe try offering different treats that might be more tempting and just try to talk to it softly while offering the food.
I've tried pellets, apples, seeds, and millet. The breeders didn't say much and didn't seem to care. They themself said they didn't spend a lot of time with it. I'm not sure what it likes and doesn't like. All they said was avocado is poisonous to birds. (I knew this already, I wasn't offering it avocado or anything. It was just random?)

It's the birds bed time right now, but I'll try all tommorow. As soon as he/she eats out of my hands it'll be a lot easier.

Zeeby

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
I've tried pellets, apples, seeds, and millet. The breeders didn't say much and didn't seem to care. They themself said they didn't spend a lot of time with it. I'm not sure what it likes and doesn't like. All they said was avocado is poisonous to birds. (I knew this already, I wasn't offering it avocado or anything. It was just random?)

It's the birds bed time right now, but I'll try all tommorow. As soon as he/she eats out of my hands it'll be a lot easier.
i wish you the best of luck with your little sweetheart

Zeeby

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots

Maybe try sunflower seeds, that's what I did with my new conure and they worked pretty well for him, he will do anything for a sunflower seed. A little bit of blueberry might be a good option too

OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Maybe try sunflower seeds, that's what I did with my new conure and they worked pretty well for him, he will do anything for a sunflower seed. A little bit of blueberry might be a good option too
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I'm going to try again today.

OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
it has worked. He is eating the food when I am holding the dish. He also ate millet out of my hand.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
How long has this cutie been home with you? May need more time to settle in and adjust. I would try calmly spending time around the bird without trying to force eating from your hand or holding - just reading in the same room, watching tv, etc. Just to get him or her used to your presence as a first step.

OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
How long has this cutie been home with you? May need more time to settle in and adjust. I would try calmly spending time around the bird without trying to force eating from your hand or holding - just reading in the same room, watching tv, etc. Just to get him or her used to your presence as a first step.
about a day. I know some people say to give it space, well others say to interact with it immediately. So I juggle between both. I left it alone for most of yesterday. Only interacted with it when I had to put it in its new cage, and left it open so he could choose where he wants to be. Today, I'm trying a bit more. It's excited about the millet I feed it with my hands, and it already looks less afraid. I don't force him to eat from my hand. I offer it, and if he doesn't take it I'll put it away. He spent most of the day yesterday downstairs watching my family walk around and talk. He even started playing with his toys. Today the bird room.

Most Reactions