New Flock Member for a Galah Cockatoo, Advice Please?

GalahMacawMama

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
So I have Blossom the Galah, she's DNA tested female, is 2yrs 5months old.

It's always been the plan to have more birds, never just wanted the 1. It seems now though we may need to speed up plans, because Blossom has started to demonstrate some rather horny behaviours more so than she's done previously which of course we're not encouraging, nipping it in the bud straight away and removing anything she takes too much of a shine to.

Since having Blossom I have fallen madly in love with Galahs I think they're just the absolute best.

Now probably wouldn't be the wisest decision to have a male galah because we wouldn't want them breeding. So if we got a female galah, would this help any? Or would we just then have two horny birbs on our hands?

Is it better to get a different species of parrot? If so what would make a suitable companion? I know I've read that galahs can be quite hard to mingle with other birds.

Also I know bringing new birds into the home you're supposed to quarantine for at least 4 weeks. I get why this is done but I don't understand how...like how do you maintain the routine and time spent with your current bird whilst also trying to get to know and form a bond with the new bird whilst keeping them completely separate?

Pictures for added cuteness ☺️

Attachments

• received_546222804122945.jpeg
    received_546222804122945.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230123_095432_079.jpg
    IMG_20230123_095432_079.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 53
  • received_885239546123901.jpeg
    received_885239546123901.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230116_161326_442.jpg
    IMG_20230116_161326_442.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20221227_173105_042.jpg
    IMG_20221227_173105_042.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 49

TRBLMKR

Feb 4, 2023
Parrots
Galah cockatoo
I recently acquired two males (2 months ago) so I am far from an expert. Previous owner gave zero information on their habits, likes, and dislikes. They try to mate with whomever is holding them. Sometimes becoming angry if the person holding them stops the advances. We only scratch/pet their neck and head now, which has helped a lot. Oddly my two males never fight or even touch one another. Two females might be fine. Having 2 adds different problems I feel I should add. Two is harder to watch then one. If you are spending time with bird #1, bird #2 is not happy. Bird #2 begins to bite furniture, scream, whatever it takes to get your attention. Sometimes I just want to spend time with one and not both.

Last edited:
OP
GalahMacawMama

GalahMacawMama

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
I recently acquired two males (2 months ago) so I am far from an expert. Previous owner gave zero information on their habits, likes, and dislikes. They try to mate with whomever is holding them. Sometimes becoming angry if the person holding them stops the advances. We only scratch/pet their neck and head now, which has helped a lot. Oddly my two males never fight or even touch one another. Two females might be fine. Having 2 adds different problems I feel I should add. Two is harder to watch then one. If you are spending time with bird #1, bird #2 is not happy. Bird #2 begins to bite furniture, scream, whatever it takes to get your attention. Sometimes I just want to spend time with one and not both.
Oh I appreciate any input, amazing how much you can learn even in a short space of time.

I take it they came as the pair, like as in had already been together, that sounds like that'd make things easier in terms of not having to do the quatantining and introducing the birds to one another.

I suppose I'm just trying to find what's the best option. Getting a female galah would give her company of her own kind but it doesn't necessarily address the hornies.

If we got her a male she could have a loving relationship and have her frisky desires met but I know that cockatoos are one of the hardest to breed and I don't want to put her in harms way.

But then if we go for an entirely different breed of parrot it's whether or not that would be more beneficial or not.

Just looking for others who have more than one parrot and what species and genders the match ups are. Thank you for your response it's appreciated ☺️

TRBLMKR

Feb 4, 2023
Parrots
Galah cockatoo
Yes, the pair I have were together in their previous home. Cage and all.

On the frisky desire subject. Most of the time birds only have those desires with their mate or bonded person. Being our pets are captive not knowing the wild world they learn what we teach them. Things like that are confusing for us all. Adding a different sex bird could cause you to lose your sweet loving pet to that male.

Yes, many folks keep multiple bird species together in one house. I don't know how they manage it. Seems scary to me.

Last edited:
OP
GalahMacawMama

GalahMacawMama

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
So early days of having Blossom there were some signs of inappropriate attraction from Blossom towards my partner and we've done everything we can to be super vigilant and on the ball with it.

Really made a point of my becoming the one to let her out of her cage of a morning, be the one to feed her, train with her, basically everything bar putting her away of a nighttime.

I'd say from how she is with me now (all loving and lovely) compared to how she was when we got her (aggressive towards me when I'd approach my partner and just not very nice towards me) that it's worked, she hasn't regurgitated food since the last time she did it which was like March/April last year and seems to really enjoy spending time as the three of us.

The thing yesterday was she started to bump and grind on a toy boat she has, she always like to try and stand/balance on everything whether it's toys or food or what have you and she did this with her boat yesterday, I don't know if it was just that she caught herself and was like oh hey that felt pretty nice I wanna do that again. Have taken the toys away, she's not shown any aggression towards me or any other signs that she's started up her attraction again.

So I am hoping this is just a discovery phase but would still of course like to get her a friend. Leaning towards female galah or another bird species. Think I can rule out male galah.

TRBLMKR

Feb 4, 2023
Parrots
Galah cockatoo
Lol, there's nothing wrong with a little bump and grind. I think that's a song, might be giving away my age, haha. Mine try to bump and grind everyone's hands (especially dark hair women). I think you are correct on the discovery theory. My sons won't even hold them anymore and we have only had them for 2 months. Not for biting, but just because of the hand action.

OP
GalahMacawMama

GalahMacawMama

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
Lol, there's nothing wrong with a little bump and grind. I think that's a song, might be giving away my age, haha. Mine try to bump and grind everyone's hands (especially dark hair women). I think you are correct on the discovery theory. My sons won't even hold them anymore and we have only had them for 2 months. Not for biting, but just because of the hand action.
Ha really because everything I've ever seen has said otherwise like it's a big no no. It is a song and you've reminded I really gotta stop referencing R Kelly songs even if completely by accident sometimes! Dark haired women in particular? That's interesting haha I love their seemingly random preferences. And like I knew people said parrots are randy but no kidding. Aw bless them, yeah I can't imagine it's all that fun for them having the birds get their jollies off on their hands. Maybe when horny season eases off your boys might be able to have a more PG friendly time with the birds!

TRBLMKR

Feb 4, 2023
Parrots
Galah cockatoo
Sorry, I wasn't saying there is nothing wrong with it. I was just making a funny. I sometimes forget that without someone seeing my face words have different meaning. I don't allow it to happen or think it anyone should. My kids are in high school, they hump everything as well. Another joke.

Their previous owner was a brunette, which they are missing very much. They go crazy when a brunette soft voice woman visits. All my wife's family are all dark haired Italians

It's not like an aggressive dog humping. The action could be confused with nestling or nesting, don't know which is correct. Looks like a bird sitting on eggs. I am going to follow this one silently, I feel as if we have the same issue and I can't offer any real advice. Only adding a lot more reading for a potential helper.

OP
GalahMacawMama

GalahMacawMama

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
Ahh my bad I see that now, yeah I'm one of those that somewhat heavily relies of visual expressions to grasp the context in which somethings offered up. See that one I would've gotten as a joke! I just have my feather baby but a lot of my friends have kids and one who has a teenage son.

That makes sense! Haha they must have a field day when your wife's family come to visit!

Oh yeah no if it's anything like what Blossom was getting up to its quite sweet by appearance, I'm gonna go with nestling but don't quote me on that. Ah yeah I appreciate no one can give exact advice, I appreciate people's anecdotal input, thank you for your time and also I went snooping to see if you'd posted pictures of your Galahs, and must say they are stunning, very handsome boys 🥰

Most Reactions