New here and doing some homework.

roseallen119

Jun 3, 2015
Hi all, my family and I decided we are going to get a feathered friend this year. My husband had cockatiels growing up and I had budgies (as a child) a Senegal, and a Parrotlet that I got from a pet store that was sick so I didn't have him long. We have two small boys so I want to make sure we are choosing the right bird that will fit our family. I'm a stay at home mom so the bird will have plenty of outside time. I can't decide between a Senegal or a parrotlet. I'm also up for other suggestions of birds in that size range. Right now I'm trying to find breeders in my area and have not been very successful. Any tips on that? Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning more about everyone and their pals.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Nice, except for the taxes! I used to work the entire i91 corridor, very familiar with that area!
Again, Welcome.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Hi and welcome to the forum:)

Being this is kind of a 'first family bird' I might consider a parrotlet. The size means you can provide a very large cage for the bird easily (and maybe even have a same-gender pair? Same gender so they can be friends but don't make babies:)). They are known for having the 'personality' of the bigger parrots in a tiny package and just personal opinion here, but parrotlets are just the cutest little parrots ever:D I've been tempted more than once by them. SO CUTE!

As for local breeders/sellers, I'd just keep looking. Are there any bird stores in your area? Or even a bird store that may be a ways away (seeing as it would be a one time drive to pick the bird(s) up? Many times bird stores breed the smaller species in-store, whereas the bigger birds tend to come from home breeders or larger breeding facilities. When we lived in AZ, the local parrot store bred parrotlets (beautiful blue and green ones, I was tempted every time I went in:D). I'd call around to see who has them available. Best of luck in your choice and hope to see you around on the forum!

OP
R

roseallen119

Jun 3, 2015
Thanks! Yeah the taxes suck here! But the property tax is so much cheaper than NY which is where we moved from. i will try locating a bird store but it seems like there are only the big box stores like petco and pets mart which I'd rather not get from since I bought a sick fish that killed my whole tank a few months ago (so sad about that) I have plenty of time to do more research since I don't want to get anything until the fall.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
If you are interested in rehomes go on Craigslist.
My amazon came from there and the family actually just contacted me
A couple days ago to ask how she is doing.

My dad and my bff live in boston.

OP
R

roseallen119

Jun 3, 2015
Hi Doublete! I would like to try and stay away from criagslist. Too many creepy people out there. I will check though and see if anything pops out at me. Thanks! Weren't you nervous buying a pet from a complete stranger? I guess anyone you buy from really is stranger though huh? lol

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Craigslist honestly is pretty safe if you use your head, communicate via email, use your instincts if it feels off, and agree to meet in a neutral place or take someone with you.
I've ourchased a wheelbarrow (went to older gentlemans house), a bird cage (guy was very talkative and weird but harmless- went to his house), a lot of bird supplies (went to her home), my CAG back in 2008 I went to her house, and my Amazon I also went to their home. My feeling is if they are giving me their address they are taking the same risk. I do let someone know I'm going and where, but have never taken anyone.
I trust my instincts.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
I'm only repeating what I've heard and heard but Senegals tend to be one person birds, not always the case but it seems to be a species trait. Lovely looking birds though. So a parrotlet would probably be the better fit of the 2 birds you mentioned, smaller bird, smaller bites (i heard once that senegals go through a bitey phrase?).

I'm a bit of a conure pimp, so here's a pitch!
If it's personality you like for Senegals (generalistion of course) then most small conures have similar personality profiles, although can also go through a bitey phrase (want to be honest) but the smaller conures are smaller than Senegals = smaller beaks. In favour of small conures (less so with Sun Conures) is they are less of a one person bird family.
This is all generalised profiling.

OP
R

roseallen119

Jun 3, 2015
I'm only repeating what I've heard and heard but Senegals tend to be one person birds, not always the case but it seems to be a species trait. Lovely looking birds though. So a parrotlet would probably be the better fit of the 2 birds you mentioned, smaller bird, smaller bites (i heard once that senegals go through a bitey phrase?).

If it's personality you like for Senegals (generalistion of course) then most small conures have similar personality profiles, although can also go through a bitey phrase (want to be honest) but the smaller conures are smaller than Senegals = smaller beaks. In favour of small conures (less so with Sun Conures) is they are less of a one person bird family.

Aren't conures really loud? My house is loud to begin with so chatter wouldn't bother me but the screams might make nap time for the boys a nightmare.

Xraysrrad

May 31, 2015
Media
North Carolina
Parrots
Crimson-Bellied Conure - Bodhi - Ramsey- Labradoodle
Hi and welcome,
I am new bird owner myself, but did a lot of research and visited several breeders. We have had our Crimson-bellied conure for about 3 weeks. He is a HUGE cuddle bug and loves both my children.
Bodhi is not loud at all. Although he did get a little nippy last week, it was completely my fault for making too many changes and not allowing him to settle in.
Here is a picture of Bodhi supervising Zachary while playing video games.

Good luck!
Robin

PS: There is an excellent breeder in my areas that ships all over the country. I can send you their website if interested. They breed multiple types of conures, Senegal parrots, Red eyed cinnamon blue quakers, Meyer's Parrots, and Timneh african greys.

Attachments

• Bodhi_Zach.jpg
    Bodhi_Zach.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 101

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
I love the small conures. Some species are known for being loud (jendays, Suns)
But your ( green cheeks maroon bellied ) are not as loud. I have a green cheek and honestly he is the quietest bird in the whole flock..... Until he imitates the ringnecks! Lol. Small conures are super cute and tons of attitude. I'm pretty sure they're macaws trapped in tiny bodies. And they're super cute.
I have no experience with senegals or parrotlets but they're both so pretty. Let us know what you decide!

OP
R

roseallen119

Jun 3, 2015
Hi and welcome,
I am new bird owner myself, but did a lot of research and visited several breeders. We have had our Crimson-bellied conure for about 3 weeks. He is a HUGE cuddle bug and loves both my children.
Bodhi is not loud at all. Although he did get a little nippy last week, it was completely my fault for making too many changes and not allowing him to settle in.
Here is a picture of Bodhi supervising Zachary while playing video games.

Good luck!
Robin

PS: There is an excellent breeder in my areas that ships all over the country. I can send you their website if interested. They breed multiple types of conures, Senegal parrots, Red eyed cinnamon blue quakers, Meyer's Parrots, and Timneh african greys.

Please send me the breeder info that would be great!! So I was just looking up the green cheek and they seem like great birds too! I mean they all seem great but that fits what I'm really looking for.

Thanks!!! And super cute picture!

Xraysrrad

May 31, 2015
Media
North Carolina
Parrots
Crimson-Bellied Conure - Bodhi - Ramsey- Labradoodle
Just figured out that I can not send via private message. (I am new here as well and have not posted the required amount of posts as of yet.)

Website is:
Species we breed - Something Cheeky

They do not have anything listed under the birds available section, but if you are a fan of facebook, follow that link as they regularly post birds that are ready, as well as being weaned.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~

Aren't conures really loud? My house is loud to begin with so chatter wouldn't bother me but the screams might make nap time for the boys a nightmare.

Some species are known for being loud (jendays, Suns)
But your ( green cheeks maroon bellied ) are not as loud.

There are other small species of conure but Amjokai got it nailed. All birds have the potential to be loud and scream at times also the larger the bird the more potential for a louder noise (does not automatically mean a noisey), go out to pet shops and hang around some birds and their noises. You might not like conure chatter let alone a noisey screamer, or you'll love the sound of a parrotlet, or vice versa.
You might even find a pair of same sex budgies suits you (2 boys and all).

OP
R

roseallen119

Jun 3, 2015
They are adorable little birds!!! Thanks for the suggestion! I will be following that breeder to see when he has available babies. Anyone have their birds shipped?

Mysterygirl

Apr 14, 2015
Nor Cal
Parrots
Edgar (Alexandrian), Piper (Indian Ringneck), Eridan (Indian Ringneck)
Hello and Welcome to the forum. You'll find a wealth of information on this forum.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Parrotlets are super cute! I don't know much about their nature, but I do hear a lot that they're big parrots in a little body. I love some of their color mutations.

The Senegal (and related family) would not be a good choice for a family with small children. Besides having a pretty hardwired drive towards one person-ness regardless of socialzation, they have a large beak for the body size as you already know ;) and are very hard biters. It's not just a phase, any long time Poicephalus owners can tell you they will bite unexpectedly sometimes. They're awesome birds for adult owners who are aware of their tendencies.

Have you considered the smaller conures that are very popular nowdays? GCC come in many beautiful color mutations. Love being social, and from what I hear, can be trained fairly easily, and trained out of biting fairly easily too. Then there's Sun conures, Jenday, Nanday, Gold Cap and more... those are pretty LOUD though and can be irritating to some people :).

Did you not want a Cockatiel? I know you mentioned your husband had them before. They make nice family pets, and especially the females are known to be gentle and friendly.

IRN? (Indian Ringneck), they're popular and beautiful birds, and come in many different colors. I don't think they bond super tightly to one person, but they're also not known to be hands-on cuddly. They need consistent socialization to keep them tame and handleable. They're in the size range you're looking for.

Oh, and I love my English Budgie :). They are typically almost twice, to twice the size of a common budgie. I have sweet breeder raised handfed girl. She's smart too, just like a little parrot!

Good luck...

Most Reactions

Latest posts