New Member Looking for Some Help

Shimi

Jan 9, 2021
Australia
Parrots
Male Galah named William
Female Canary named Haru
Hi, My name is Shimona and I have one gorgeous galah named William (don't know how old, thinking from 8 to 15)

I got William and another galah named Julia about 2 years ago now from an old friend, who unfortunately got sick and couldn't look after them anymore.

They are the first large bird species I've ever owned, before them it was always buggies and canaries. I've done a lot of research on looking after them and I have a background in volunteering at an Australian wildlife park for a few years. So I'm not completely clueless but definitely still new and open to any and all advice and tips I can get.

Julia came to me with a broken wing, which I got checked out by a vet. She had to have surgery to have the wing amputated (it was that bad and an old injury) unfortunately she died during the procedure through blood loss:40:. That was about a year ago.

Cut to today, I feel like William is really feeling the loneliness. I try to be good company for him as much as possible but I think he might enjoy the company of other birds to my own. He has a big aviary in the backyard that he lives in and we have a couple wild galahs and a cockatoo that visit him every couple of days. When those birds aren't around he doesn't do much. :(

Neither he or Julia had been hand raised. I can't pat or touch William without being bitten.

I know he's bored and lonely so I want to get him a companion. I think that might make him feel better.

So these are my questions.

Should I get another Galah? or would another species be ok too? (I'm having trouble finding any Galah's up for adoption)

If I do, are there any tips on how to introduce them to each other?

Can I get another male or is a female better?

Does the age of the bird matter?

How do I get William to trust me more and not bite me?

Any and all advice is appreciated. I love William with all my heart and I want to do right by him and make him as happy as possible. :smile015:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

Getting a second parrot should be done because you want one, not to get a 'friend', cuz sometimes that does not work out, more then you might think.

If you mean to try and get closer to william, best time is now when he is a single bird. Again if you add a new one, they could bond closely and leave you out in the cold.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Shimona, thanks for a lovely introduction and please accept my condolences for your loss of Julia. You've the best of intentions for William and, as wrench13 suggested, two distinct choices.

It is possible to tame a non-hand fed cockatoo with patience, time, and love. Some techniques for establishing trust and bonding: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html If you find progress too slow or William simply does not respond, finding a suitable mate next best solution. I'm not sufficiently familiar with galahs to recommend alternative species. Perhaps another similarly sized cockatoo?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Only get another parrot if you personally want one and can handle the time it will take to have 2 (whether or not they like each other).

Getting a new bird will not change the fact that your current bird misses a specific flock member (to which he was likely bonded). He may bond with a new bird, but he may not. Remember, this is a specific loss to him.

How much time do you spend interacting with your current bird out of the cage? Have you taught him to play with toys? It is possible to have a single bird and keep them happy and healthy, although many prefer to have more than one.

If you get 2 of the same species (or 2 closely related-There have been cases of cockatiels and cockatoos reproducing) you do run the risk of mating/reproduction unless you are sure of the sex ahead of time (*if they do get along, which again, may not happen*). Breeding (even accidentally) is a complicated situation and it is way harder and more expensive than most people think.

In the event that they do not get along, you need to make sure that you have enough time to meet both of their attention needs separately (in case they cannot be out at the same time). That could be like 3 hours a pop...if not more

Since galahs are powder-down birds, I would not get any sort of macaw, as their are prone to respiratory sensitivity when it comes to powder down birds. I guess one potential benefit of getting another galah COULD be that they might be better at reading each other's body language, but it still doesn't mean they will get along. You might research to see whether there are any tendencies toward heightened aggression when keeping 2 of the same sex. There can easily be aggression between any 2 birds (same sex, opposite, same species, different) BUT in SOME species (not sure about galahs), 2 males will be slightly more likely to get along than 2 females, or vice-versa.

I would also keep in mind that getting a bird that is much larger or smaller than your current bird would make a beak injury more serious if they fought or even just had a small disagreement.

Also, keep in mind that whenever you get a new bird, it can change the dynamic you currently have with yours--- there can be new jealousy or they could get super close and make you the 3rd wheel (so to speak). A new bird can sometimes stress out or upset the current bird...

Final thought-- any new parrot should be quarantined for at least 45 days in another room (as far from your current bird as possible). Your current bird could be an asymptomatic carrier or disease (despite appearing healthy) and the same is true of any new bird, so it is for both of their safety.

SO, if YOU want another parrot and have the funds/housing/time to devote to each, then that is one thing, but don't get one to make your bird feel better, as it not a sure thing and could backfire.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts