newbirdmom2

Jun 13, 2020
Media
Albums
Southern Wisconsin
Parrots
Waiting on a lovebird baby.
Hi, thank you for adding me!
My name is Amy. I currently do not have a parrot, but I will be getting a lovebird in a couple weeks from a breeder. I have had birds before... I had a Quaker parrot, and I have had a budgie. I have never had a lovebird before, so this all new to me. I look forward to learning as much as I can between now and when I bring my new baby home, and I appreciate any information that anyone can offer.

Thank you! 😊

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you! Hope you’ll share pics of your baby when you have some :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums newbirdmom-to-be!

I don’t know where you are getting your new baby from, but the best piece of advice I can give you is, whatever you do, please don’t bring him home until he is fully weaned onto solid adult food and has been eating independently for at least two weeks. It is a very sad fact that our Bereavement pages are full of tragic accounts from new owners who were assured by their breeder/seller that hand-feeding is simple (it’s not) and that it will create a stronger bond with baby (it won’t), and even the most dedicated and attentive bird parents get just one thing wrong and it ends in heartbreak. We want your baby to have the very best start in life and to be healthy and strong when he comes to join you!

And as Jen mentioned, we will want pictures. In fact we will demand them :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
N

newbirdmom2

Jun 13, 2020
Media
Albums
Southern Wisconsin
Parrots
Waiting on a lovebird baby.
Thank you for your replies and warm welcomes, I appreciate them. Can anyone recommend good cages? I have been looking at flight cages, but none of them seem to have locking doors, and I would really like a secure cage.
Thanks!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome welcome! Great forum (it's seriously SO nice to know this is out there when you have a bird because it's super active and people want to help--plus, they are nice/fun :) )

Here is a video as a refresher course on household hazards-- I have a more detailed post that I normally type up, but this is easier LOL---found it today and it summarizes most of what I would say (although not all)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwvsbJuCQsg"]YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts