my 1st question is ...i have just got a parrot and would like to know

is how long do they normally take to settle inn new enviroment.app
this parrot is only 12 month;s old he is a ringneck parrot so any help

would be much apprecated thanks

VulpeaNeagra

Nov 30, 2009
Kansas
Parrots
Nugget- Parrotlet, Littlefoot- Lutino Indian Ringneck, Lucy- Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
welcome to the boards!

It took Nugget my mom's fid a month or so to be completely settled in his cage and another month before he willingly came out of his cage.

Kermit whos my little buddy may take the same amount of time or maybe longer or shorter depends on him.

I think each bird is different and you should always give your new feathered friend as long as they need to settle and leave them be. you can talk to them and interact from outside the cage while you wait but give them time and don't force them to do anything to fast

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I second what Vulpea said: There is a LOT of variation among individual birds, take it slow and be patient for a few weeks. If he does not seem to be starting to warm up by then though there are some ways to make sure things go smoothly.

How long have you had him?

dakisgirls

Sep 10, 2009
U.S.
Parrots
I have a blue and gold macaw along with an indian ringneck parakeet.
WELCOME!!!! ok.... get ready for a very infomative explanation! (hopefully...) first you should just sit by the cage and don't even make eye contact, even when you're cleaning the cage. then, after about a day of doing so, whistle and click to him, and make a little eye contact, but not for too long. then you can start to put your hand up against the cage, or offer a treat. at first he will probably freak out, but if you do this every day, the bird will come to accept it. then start putting your finger in the cage, again, he will probably freak out. but still do it until he comes to accept it. then start moving your finger closer and closer to his body, but if he moves away, leave your finger inplace for about 20 seconds, then start moving it towards him again. do this about 2-3 times a day in short, 5-10 min sessions. once you can get your finger close enough try to get him to step onto your finger. REMEMBER! make sure he's settled in to his new environment before you start the training process!

Chaos_1.0

Jul 1, 2009
East Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel, Lovebird, 3 Parakeets
With my cockatiel, he wanted to come out the first day I brought him home. I went to the store where I bought him when he was still being handfed. I played with him and held him for about 4 hours a week. So when I brought him home, he naturally wanted to be with me.

OP
S

[email protected]

Dec 9, 2009
well guy;s i took your advice and got natural wood for his perches ;
but i think its spook him so i know i will have to leave him to settle

but how do i clean his perches as they make a mess as you;s and i dont want to spooke him any more ..i know this might sound like a daft question

but thiis being my 1st parrot i want to get it right

thanks guy;s :orange:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi and welcome to the forum
All the above tips should be most helpful
The bird must first gain your trust, take your time, and you should notice changes.
The bird must settle in, everything is strange right now.
Keep talking and talking, let him get used to your voice.
When cleaning the perches, try not to make any sudden movement, or noises.
Tell the bird what you are doing, taking it slowly.
As dakisirls mentioned, try giving him a treat, a nut or fresh fruit, this should distract him while cleaning.
Keep us updated !!!
Good luck
Take care

Most Reactions

Latest posts