New to the bird world

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome! One of your budgie looks just like my Cloudy!
I have 3, 2 rehomes and a rescue.

I'm definitely a healthy seed mix for budgie plus tons of veggies. Thst being said mine have choisen to snack on pellets as part of their diet. Mine have unlimited seedmix, unlimited pellets( I have several types out for the quakers , the budgie graze on them too) and leafy greens and mix of veg every day, usually twice a day. Hands down my budgies love their veggies and greens! You can see my cute Cloudy pictures eating greens under the budgie subforum.

Offer leafy greens whole hung up, or on a shallow dish or plate. I find offering them out of the cage works best fir mine. Keep offering all kinds of veg, don't give up. They will learn to love. I offer hunks in shallow dishes or skewers.

I never worked to tame mine. But over time they started taking foods by hand. And my Cloudy surprised me after 2 years, by starting to visit me. Lands on my head , or on me when sitting, we play fingers sbd sometimes he let's me pet him. My Blue Boy will land on me sometimes, and Clear stays as far away from me as possible lol
You really seem to be doing a fantastic job! I have mine out all day as well. ;)
Thanks for providing them a better life!

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Congratulations on you're two peeps! Sounds like they have a wonderful home. It's so wonderful youre doing research about their care! I also entered the bird world with a beautiful Budgie. I use tops for pellet food and organic sprouted seeds. I get my seeds from true leaf market. They are also sold on Amazon too. Unsprouted seeds are high in fat and block mineral and vitamin absorption. My budgie loved his sprouts and leafy greens. I hung his greens on the side of the cage near his perch.

My budgie died - within hours ( he wasnt eating his breakfast) and I think within an hour(it's been a few years) I found an emergency vet clinic that had a AV on staff( they'd have to call her in when I got there - or they'd see if they could consult with her on the phone) anyways Davy didn't make it to the car to take him. I then booked an appointment for Luvy ' Davys friend for a highly recommended parrot vet- everyone around my area who has birds uses this vet. I was very concerned and honestly scared for Luvy because of how quickly and unexpectedly Davy died. The exam went well until Luvy received a gram stain. The q tip was huge and the vet inserted it in his rectum. LUVY started bleeding. This not normal. Vet told me it was and was just brushing it off. I ended up calling a rescue(also called the vet and was told this too was normal) because Luvy was now lethargic not eating or drinking amd had bloody poop. At this point I did not know what to do. I thought I was doing a good thing by getting Luvy checked out. I ended up calling a parrot rescue to give me guidance with their vast experience of birds. I clearly needed guidance. I spoke to the founder and he was honest and point blank with me. He said I have two options I could take Luvy to another vet and feel better about myself and that I did everyrhing possible- if Luvy has internal bleeding there isn't much they can do and in his opinion the stress of all this could very well kill Luvy in his current state . Option two I could leave Luvy alone to rest in a heated quiet and dark environment with readily available water and food and see if he makes it. I took option 2 and luckily Luvy survived.

Both the vet and rescue believed they're was something wrong with Davy congenital because Luvy was/is healthy. Both bird were extremely close- they'd feed each other. I still miss and love Davy very much and wish he was still here.

I am telling you about my devastating experience to emphasize the importance of getting birds checked out and to advocate for them- I saw how big the q tip was and how little Luvy is (Lovebird) but this vet knows what he's doing because he is highly educated and experienced with birds. Something my mom told me was being educated is know a tomato is a fruit being wise is knowing not to stick a tomato in fruit salad. Not everyone is wise no matter degree. I knew that q tip was too larger(bigger than a humans) with out MD behind my name. This Vet is still highly recommended in my area but I don't think many if at all take smaller birds to him or at least I hope not.

If I could do things differently I would have taken Davy to a AV (we have one certified in my area who's policy is to take the bird to the back away from the owner to be examined- pre covid) and not taken Luvy to the recommended vet . Maybe there was something that could have been done to prolong Davy's life.

A side note is its important to weigh your birds to see if anything is going on because this is normally the first sign(I was doing this before Davy died).

Find a vet that you trust with your birds before you need to so if you ever do need a vet he/she will be there.

To many long healthy years with your budgies! Cheers

Last edited:
OP
R

ramisharif

Jan 16, 2021
Ok I will buy that one and start with that first. Also, can you guys suggest some toys and activities, like I said I got them some shredding toys and stands but first they take a looooong time to start playing with anything like they have to start trusting it which takes weeks if not months, so I am trying to keep them entertained at all times. I live in a 1bd so I dont have a lot of space, they do have an open door policy lol so they fly often. Their cage is not big just a medium size one but I try not to keep it jammed with stuff- nice and simple with a 2-3 toys. Also, once a week I drop one mellet in there as a treat, most times I put it above the cage so they come out of the cage.

OP
R

ramisharif

Jan 16, 2021
Congratulations on you're two peeps! Sounds like they have a wonderful home. It's so wonderful youre doing research about their care! I also entered the bird world with a beautiful Budgie. I use tops for pellet food and organic sprouted seeds. I get my seeds from true leaf market. They are also sold on Amazon too. Unsprouted seeds are high in fat and block mineral and vitamin absorption. My budgie loved his sprouts and leafy greens. I hung his greens on the side of the cage near his perch.

My budgie died - within hours ( he wasnt eating his breakfast) and I think within an hour(it's been a few years) I found an emergency vet clinic that had a AV on staff( they'd have to call her in when I got there - or they'd see if they could consult with her on the phone) anyways Davy didn't make it to the car to take him. I then booked an appointment for Luvy ' Davys friend for a highly recommended parrot vet- everyone around my area who has birds uses this vet. I was very concerned and honestly scared for Luvy because of how quickly and unexpectedly Davy died. The exam went well until Luvy received a gram stain. The q tip was huge and the vet inserted it in his rectum. LUVY started bleeding. This not normal. Vet told me it was and was just brushing it off. I ended up calling a rescue(also called the vet and was told this too was normal) because Luvy was now lethargic not eating or drinking amd had bloody poop. At this point I did not know what to do. I thought I was doing a good thing by getting Luvy checked out. I ended up calling a parrot rescue to give me guidance with their vast experience of birds. I clearly needed guidance. I spoke to the founder and he was honest and point blank with me. He said I have two options I could take Luvy to another vet and feel better about myself and that I did everyrhing possible- if Luvy has internal bleeding there isn't much they can do and in his opinion the stress of all this could very well kill Luvy in his current state . Option two I could leave Luvy alone to rest in a heated quiet and dark environment with readily available water and food and see if he makes it. I took option 2 and luckily Luvy survived.

Both the vet and rescue believed they're was something wrong with Davy congenital because Luvy was/is healthy. Both bird were extremely close- they'd feed each other. I still miss and love Davy very much and wish he was still here.

I am telling you about my devastating experience to emphasize the importance of getting birds checked out and to advocate for them- I saw how big the q tip was and how little Luvy is (Lovebird) but this vet knows what he's doing because he is highly educated and experienced with birds. Something my mom told me was being educated is know a tomato is a fruit being wise is knowing not to stick a tomato in fruit salad. Not everyone is wise no matter degree. I knew that q tip was too larger(bigger than a humans) with out MD behind my name. This Vet is still highly recommended in my area but I don't think many if at all take smaller birds to him or at least I hope not.

If I could do things differently I would have taken Davy to a AV (we have one certified in my area who's policy is to take the bird to the back away from the owner to be examined- pre covid) and not taken Luvy to the recommended vet . Maybe there was something that could have been done to prolong Davy's life.

A side note is its important to weigh your birds to see if anything is going on because this is normally the first sign(I was doing this before Davy died).

Find a vet that you trust with your birds before you need to so if you ever do need a vet he/she will be there.

To many long healthy years with your budgies! Cheers

Thank you for stopping by and I am sorry about your little one, that is hard. I have experience with Wildlife just not with birds, I rescue all the time (squirrels are my true love :)
Question for you, do you recommend the Harrisons HPF then the regular adult one or would you suggest just keeping them on the current seed diet ? I just like to have all opinions :)

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Thank you for stopping by and I am sorry about your little one, that is hard. I have experience with Wildlife just not with birds, I rescue all the time (squirrels are my true love :)
Question for you, do you recommend the Harrisons HPF then the regular adult one or would you suggest just keeping them on the current seed diet ? I just like to have all opinions :)
As a treat I give them Harrison fine high potency - it's high in protein and fat (there's a recent thread someone posted on the inconsistent labeling). I do not give bugs (due to the possibility of parasites) and this is kind of a replacement. Too much of this pellet can cause frequent regurgitation- the too high protein content can cause this - why I give as a treat and not a daily meal. Lafabers nutri Senior Bird berry's are pretty good even with the added sugar and non organic ingredients- it has milthistle and glutathione!

I personally will add organic dried bird friendly teas and flowers!

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
Welcome to the community! the birds look really awesome and very cute! I'm sure you will get a lot of information during your journey!

OP
R

ramisharif

Jan 16, 2021
Ok everyone, here is an update. 2 days ago I introduced some greens by putting them through the cage bars, and to my very big surprise they started exploring and soon enough eating which I was very happy about so a very big thank you for that advice :) :)
Second, I started putting a little bit of the Harrisons adult fine and they ate it all, I am not sure if this is a treat or good food, any advice? should I just pull back and keep the diet on seeds and greens?

Skarila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
2021 Parrot of the Year ๐Ÿ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
โœปCsillam the rescued budgie
โœปPascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
โœปArchibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
โœปRIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
โœปRIP -Sunny the budgie
Ok everyone, here is an update. 2 days ago I introduced some greens by putting them through the cage bars, and to my very big surprise they started exploring and soon enough eating which I was very happy about so a very big thank you for that advice :) :)
Second, I started putting a little bit of the Harrisons adult fine and they ate it all, I am not sure if this is a treat or good food, any advice? should I just pull back and keep the diet on seeds and greens?
This is excellent news!! Both for the greens and pellets!!! Make sure that they ate the pellet and not just thrown down!
If they really ate the pellet, you can add a new bowl in the cage if possible, so from now on you can offer both seeds and pellets, and greens every day. From greens you can offer carrot leaf (mine adores it), once a week spinach, broccoli, lettuce (yes I know it is empty greens but...my budgie loves nibbling on it..). You can try offering thin slice of apple too, or ball pepper in fine slices.

Regarding if the pellet is a treat - absolutely not, especially not the adult life, it is actual food the can (and should) be eating daily! Keep in mind Harrison's is one of the best in the world, and many parrots will eat Harrison's but not other types. My birds highly preffer Harrison's over Roudybush for example. I keep the High Potency as a "treat" for my conure as he adores it, but he still has half a kilo of Roudybush to finish before switching him to Harrison's. So for now, he gets it only from me as a daily treat or when he's outside to encourage being on my table and such.

Sorry for the wall of text!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
2021 Parrot of the Year ๐Ÿ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
โœปCsillam the rescued budgie
โœปPascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
โœปArchibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
โœปRIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
โœปRIP -Sunny the budgie
guessing its normal for their pecks to turn green from eatings greens????
Totally normal! Or even turns red if you offer red berries or even red pepper! Also don't be too alarmed in the sudden change of dropping colour due to the change of diet!

OP
R

ramisharif

Jan 16, 2021
Totally normal! Or even turns red if you offer red berries or even red pepper! Also don't be too alarmed in the sudden change of dropping colour due to the change of diet!
Thank you, good to know for sure. they look like two kids that had too much candy!!!!

Cassie_Leigh

Dec 2, 2021
Parrots
Two budgie ladies and a male cockatiel
I am a bit late to the party but how I taught my budgies to at least give each new veggie ( and occasional fruit) a lick was in kabob form.

If I can get out of bed quick enough. They rush to eat their fresh veg before going for their seed and crumble mix

Snowpeas are their favourite and extra interested if the veg have droplets of moisture they can lap up.

Attachments

• 20211102_184803.jpg
    20211102_184803.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 56

Abu Colo

Oct 28, 2017
Columbia
Parrots
Colocolo the Kolokolo Bird, Strigops habroptilus subsp. fortasse
Way too many budgerigars
ุงู„ู†ู‘ูŽุจููŠู‘ู ุตู„ู‰ ุงู„ู„ู‡ ุนู„ูŠู‡ ูˆุณู„ู… ู‚ูŽุงู„ูŽ โ€ "โ€ ุฏูŽุฎูŽู„ูŽุช ุงู…ู’ุฑูŽุฃูŽุฉูŒ ุงู„ู†ู‘ูŽุงุฑูŽ ูููŠ ู‡ูุฑู‘ูŽุฉู ุฑูŽุจูŽุทูŽุชู’ู‡ูŽุงุŒ ููŽู„ูŽู…ู’ ุชูุทู’ุนูู…ู’ู‡ูŽุงุŒ ูˆูŽู„ูŽู…ู’ ุชูŽุฏูŽุนู’ู‡ูŽุง ุชูŽุฃู’ูƒูู„ู ู…ูู†ู’ ุฎูุดูŽุงุดู ุงู„ุฃูŽุฑู’ุถู

Harrison's High Potency Fine is what all my budgies eat. They need the extra fat content, particularly during a transition period. If you are giving them Lifetime, you might want to consider adding some seed mix provided they still eat the pellets. You seem to be doing the right things. I don't really worry about handling budgies, particularly if they are already bonded with each other, but then I have a macaw keeping me busy. You can tell your mother from me that abusing a gift of living creatures through neglect is a violation of a scared trust and ูƒูุฑ ุจู†ุนู…ุฉ

Most Reactions

Latest posts