New to the Forum

LalaH

Sep 20, 2023
Parrots
Green Indian Ringneck Parrot 18 months old named Kiwi
Hi everyone!
I am new to the forum and also a new Indian Ringneck Mom. Kiwi is about 18 months old and we are getting to know each other very slowly. He has not been socialized at all and is very nervous. He doesn’t show any aggression just the avoidance and startled fluttering in his cage. My profile pic is of him the first day he was brought home. I understood that he was clipped, but I soon found out he is not clipped. That is fine with me but I will have to go about his training and socialization in a different way. He had a nice flight around the house and thankfully he did not hurt himself. I had taken precautions, closed doors, blinds and turned off the ceiling fans. I did my best not to chase him and finally got close enough to gently throw a dish towel over him and pick him up. Needless to say, we will be working on trust and bonding before letting him have free rein of the house for his safety.

I do targeting with my daughter’s green cheeks and her African Grey. I plan to use the same method with Kiwi as soon as he is comfortable with taking a treat from my hand. I appreciate any and all advice and suggestions and look forward to talking with everyone!

Green Cheek tickles are the best! IMG_0252.jpeg

Michelle aka Lala

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. RIngnecks can take an inordinate amount of time to become 'unafraid', just be slow and steady! Work every day with him, thats important with them - they go back to being 'wild' quickly.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to you and Kiwi! I'm so happy you joined us and I look forward to reading about your journey together:)

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Welcome to you and your baby!

OP
LalaH

LalaH

Sep 20, 2023
Parrots
Green Indian Ringneck Parrot 18 months old named Kiwi
Welcome and be welcomed. RIngnecks can take an inordinate amount of time to become 'unafraid', just be slow and steady! Work every day with him, thats important with them - they go back to being 'wild' quickly.
We have made some progress. I have been dropping his favorite treat, unshelled peanuts, on his platform perch today. I think he is finally realizing my presence means food. Lol! He also talked today for the first time since I’ve had him. He said “Hey Baby”. That’s what I say to him every time I pass his cage. I’m hoping we can try a cage top perch soon but he is still flighty when I get close to the sides of his cage that doesn’t have food bowls. I am calling this progress and continuing with baby steps. Thanks for the advice and the welcome. 😄

Most Reactions

Latest posts