New Year’s Eve with parrots. How do I get through this?

What should I do with my birdies on New Year’s Eve?

• Total voters

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
Hello everybody. I have been stressing all month about what to do with my birds on New Year’s Eve and yew years day because my neighbors always like making tons of unnecessary noise and throw a big party every year. This is my first year dealing with this when it comes to birds. My birds normal bedtime is around 9ish and I’m not sure if I should keep them up later that night or not. They usually make noises all night. They set off fireworks, rev up their motorcycles, scream, and basically do every loud thing you could think of. Now, usually in the past years I just coped with it by putting the tv on high volume or something but this year I don’t know what to do because I know my birds are going to be very scared and I don’t want them getting too stressed out. Like I said I’ve been stressed all month about this and I would really appreciate if some of you could give me your opinion on what you think I should do.
Thankyou in advance! :grey:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
In the wild, parrots survive fierce tropical thunderstorms, hurricanes, etc and they are still around. Me, I would dim lights, only partially cover the cage, and otherwise business as normal.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
If you leave them out you risk them getting scared and flying into walls or other dangers things.

Maybe play some music to help cover up the noise of fireworks and other stuff.

texsize

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Never had any issue New Years Eye. Amazon's are such Party Animals, its hard to keep-up with them.

The real 'Problem' is New Year' Day - they can be really grumpy! Especially, if they had been mixing their spirits! :D

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Ah I relate. Just this Sunday evening my extremely inconsiderate neighbours threw a party with stadium sized speakers that literally rattled my doors and windows and even my bird cage from about 6pm to 4am. Understandably, I got about 3 hours of sleep and I have no idea how my birds must have felt. However, in the morning they were all okay, and were just a bit more sleepy than usual. My advice would be to keep the room in which they sleep dark, even if you can’t keep it quiet. Put them to bed early and cover their cage/s with a sheet/blanket. Close all windows, shutters and/or curtains to muffle the noise as much as possible. All you can do is try to make your birds’ sleep as comfortable as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
The only suggestion I have is to keep a nightlight on for them. That way, if they get startled, they can get their bearings rather than blindly crashing around in their cages. I have to have nightlights for my birds because Samantha's afraid of the dark (she suddenly lost her non-existent night vision a few years back, and she cries unless she has her nightlights). Greatly decreases the number of nightfrights and mysterious patches of blood in their enclosure.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Can you move the cages to further away from these neighbours/other side of your property? Relax they will pick up your stress! If it is constant noise they will adjust it is the sudden unexpected noise that scares.

Most Reactions