Newbie Alex Owner, Laid Egg

crash_the_parrot

Feb 22, 2013
Hello folks I'm a newbie when it comes to avians, I've had my alex for maybe 5 months and she just started some new behaviours.

Normally she knows when its her bed time and she'll go to her cage all by herself to sleep. Except about 3 days or so ago she would love to tuck herself under blankets or in my sweater, then she wouldn't go back to her cage to sleep and instead sleep under my covers all night!

I figured she enjoys it so I let her do whatever she wants. Earlier today she was under my covers for more than an hour when I hear a little yelp. I open up and I see her next to a god damn egg!

Now it makes sense, she's doing that because that's the ideal environment for her to lay eggs (I assume). I didn't even know that could happen without a male (in retrospect I guess we wouldn't have eggs for breakfast then).

What do I do with the egg? What do I do with my alex? Do I continue to let her snuggle in a blanket/shirt or prevent that? I briefly read that she may need extra calcium in her diet, I don't want to encourage her to lay more eggs so do I not give her extra calcium?

Thank you for talking the time to help out a freaked out owner.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes you should provide her with cuttle bone and mineral block. I wouldn't let her get in the blanket anymore but she probably will lay more eggs on the bottom of the cage. If she will sit on it, let her until she's tired of it and then you can toss the eggs. If she shows no interest, you can just toss the eggs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts