Newbie!

MyTrio

Jan 15, 2018
Georgia
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Hello! I am a new Blue and Gold Macaw mom :blue:. I am looking forward to learning all I can about this beautiful bird. He is our first bird as a family, but my husband had a conure growing up. Any and all advice and suggestions are welcomed!! I can't wait to get to know all of you.

-Diane

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Hello! I am a new Blue and Gold Macaw mom :blue:. I am looking forward to learning all I can about this beautiful bird. He is our first bird as a family, but my husband had a conure growing up. Any and all advice and suggestions are welcomed!! I can't wait to get to know all of you.

-Diane

Welcome! I promise, you will never own another animal quite like a macaw (for better and worse!)
Is it just you and your husband around, or are there kids in the picture, as well?
Is your macaw a newly weaned baby, or an older rehome?

Looking forward to learning more about your setup, as well!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Diane! Blue and Gold's are spirited and highly rewarding companions! I recommend you read through the Macaw forum and learn all you can. Abundant knowledge is critical to understanding and living with these socially complex parrots!

OP
M

MyTrio

Jan 15, 2018
Georgia
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw

-Diane

Welcome! I promise, you will never own another animal quite like a macaw (for better and worse!)
Is it just you and your husband around, or are there kids in the picture, as well?
Is your macaw a newly weaned baby, or an older rehome?

Looking forward to learning more about your setup, as well!

Thank you for the welcome. Our family consists of my husband and I, as well as our 3 children (ages 10, 11 and 12) and 2 dogs (7 year old Morkie and 1 year old Great Pyrenees). Harley, the Macaw (we may change his name), is 15 years old and we got him from a family that was moving and were unable to take him with them. We did not know the family before. Harley loves the kids. He is more cautious with my husband and me. As far as the dogs go, the Morkie could care less about the bird and totally ignores him. The birds and squirrels outside are the same -- neither one cares about the other so the birds/squirrels eat on the railing of the deck while the Morkie walks around right under them. The Great Pyrenees is a bit more curious but is caring by nature/breed. All this said, we never leave the bird and dogs alone - NEVER.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome. You found the best forum online. I'm glad you're here!

Most Reactions

Latest posts