Newborn green cheek disappeared in the nest :(

fzaker

Mar 9, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
This is about a pair of green cheeks living with me. Yesterday I heard a newborn chick. Based on the received bits of advice, I let it be fed by parents. I could still hear the chick's sound at the end of the day before they go to sleep.
But since this morning I haven't heard anything :( Opening the nest door, I can't find it (it might be hidden under the nest stuffings, but it's not possible to enter my hand in the nest as the female is very protective and aggressive.)
Is it possible that the parents eat the chick? If so what should I do with the remaining eggs? Can someone please help me?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
This is about a pair of green cheeks living with me. Yesterday I heard a newborn chick. Based on the received bits of advice, I let it be fed by parents. I could still hear the chick's sound at the end of the day before they go to sleep.
But since this morning I haven't heard anything :( Opening the nest door, I can't find it (it might be hidden under the nest stuffings, but it's not possible to enter my hand in the nest as the female is very protective and aggressive.)
Is it possible that the parents eat the chick? If so what should I do with the remaining eggs? Can someone please help me?
Could the chick be under the female?

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Are you sure you heard a chick? I don't know how it looks like with GCC's, I have experience with Bourke's and their 1 day old babies are so hard to hear

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
its not uncommon for first time parents to kill and eat chicks....also they will do this if something was wrong with the chick

OP
F

fzaker

Mar 9, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
I'm sure I heard it and also I saw it walking in the nest.
And no, It is not under the female.
The whole day, there wasn't any sign of the chick. Even if they eat it, something should remain, no? :(
I still don't know what to do with the remaining eggs, if can't find the chick.

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
Quite often when a young baby dies in the nest it gets stomped down into the bottom of the nest material to basically make it dehydrate so it does not actually rot and cause bacterial issues. Your lost baby is quite possibly squished flat in amongst the nest materials.

Most Reactions

Latest posts