OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
low quality video of Nike on my shoulder. Sorry about the background sound, it recorded much louder than it was.

Nike is molting so she's a little ragged, especially her crest but she does put it up a few times.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5oJpY-dlnQ&feature=youtu.be"]nike shoulder - YouTube[/ame]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I love it!

Jolly kept responding to her kisses with his own. Along with a bunch of hello's. Me thinks my boy may be smitten! Lol! I didn't have the heart to tell him that Nike couldn't hear his romantic overtures.

April

Apr 17, 2018
Philly
Parrots
Female eclectus April,male eclectus Buddha(hulk)
Oh a her my bad I thought Nike was a boy, honestly I can’t get enough of how awesome this gal is !

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Thanks, she is probably a boy but I called my OWA a she for 39 years (probably also a boy) so after she passed and I got Nike it just seemed natural to keep her feminine.

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Really enjoyed this thread. Never even if a hawks head parrot, but her head does look hawkish. What a wonderful display with those head feathers. Wow! Never seen anything like it except with cockatoos.

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike cuteness.

While camping this morning I was watching her preen for about 10 min before it occurred to me to grab my phone.

[ame="https://youtu.be/cNxfxqgpvz4"]Nike cuteness - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
What good is a plant without poop?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
bill-nike7-19-18.jpg

LOVE this photo,Bill! Exactly how Amy reacts when we go out for rides in the car.Beaky against my cheek :D His way of saying "Thanks Dad"!

Jim

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Thanks. Here's another from the campsite.

What a sweetheart last evening. She's been on the road a lot lately and spending a lot of time in her small travel cage. Last evening around 8pm she settled down on my shoulder and wouldn't budge. It was the first time that she slept on my shoulder.
0c16eb2a864227c5d43967023162418c.jpg

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I just love this thread; Nike is a wonderfull bird and you are a great human for sharing!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I know I say this all the time, but I think Hawk Heads are the most stunning parrots. Then I go back and forth a bit with Hyacinth, Sun Conure, Eclectus... then I see Nike again and... just so striking!

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Thanks, she's a great companion. Here's another pic of her in the camper this morning before we go out on a walk with her Pak-o-Bird

Nike-camper-9-2-18.jpg

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Sorry, one more. I know a lot of you have had your birds from young and cuddling them is no big deal but Nike, after 2.5 years, has become a real loving bird without much in the way of hormonal behavior.

This video catches me and Nike watching the Man who shot Liberty Valance with John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart. If you haven't seen it, it's a great movie.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yvPPaSe_ZQ&feature=youtu.be"]Nike and Bill - YouTube[/ame]

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Thanks, last day, heading home tomorrow.
d1be4ce208b7d8fb2081833b768a11e5.jpg

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
She's a beauty. I just love everything about these birds. She seems like she has a gentle disposition; I didnt expect that , so much.

I love her little voice :) How much 'noise' does she make? Are they more laid back when it comes to making sounds?

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
She's a beauty. I just love everything about these birds. She seems like she has a gentle disposition; I didnt expect that , so much.

I love her little voice :) How much 'noise' does she make? Are they more laid back when it comes to making sounds?
Nike is the only Hawkhead that I've interacted with but everything I read says that these are great companion birds. She only squawks when she wants something, doesn't seem to squawk for no reason and the squawk is at least half the volume of my old OWA.

She is very vocal, mostly low volume bird sounds, and tends not to repeat her learned words unless she is excited and then her words are loud. We enjoy listening to her sounds as they are not annoying at all....especially her happy, I love to eat this chirping.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
That video captured your love for Nike every bit as much as her love for you. Glad you all had such a great vacation.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots

Nike is the only Hawkhead that I've interacted with but everything I read says that these are great companion birds. She only squawks when she wants something, doesn't seem to squawk for no reason and the squawk is at least half the volume of my old OWA.

She is very vocal, mostly low volume bird sounds, and tends not to repeat her learned words unless she is excited and then her words are loud. We enjoy listening to her sounds as they are not annoying at all....especially her happy, I love to eat this chirping.

She sounds perfect, imo. I love so many birds, but some I wonder might be a bit off my wavelength (or vice versa). A bird like Nike sounds perfect., to me(literally, it turns out). I like hearing their natural sounds more than the human words, by far. I joke about teaching my male to say 'I am Groot,' but I dont have an interest in teaching either of my birds to say anything human. I will say words to them, in case they can connect a word with an item or action; but I dont care if they never want to mimic any.

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Wet bird on my shoulder

IMG_20181104_133244571_BURST001.jpg

Most Reactions