OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I couldnt live a day with a head like that 😭
Seems kind of extreme. Just checking but you do realize that there are only 2 pins in this photo right?
nike9-20-21-pins.jpg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Bill I know this is an older thread but just had to do a post. There is no doubt that your little girl is so beautiful. It amazes me with her colors when she raises her hat! The picture after her bath is striking,looks like in the 1990 era when the punk scene was in full bloom,with her "hair" going every which way lol..and then the picture of Nike rubbing her beakie along your cheek ( HUGE smile on your face lol) Amy will do the same to me when we go on adventures in the car,gives me goose bumps lol.

Curious,are you still feeding Texas Freeze Dried to her? I just ordered a quart sized bag for Amy and The Beebs. Amy is getting tired of Bird Sreet Bistro but BB seems to groove on all the different flavors.
More pics of the lovely Nike would be appreciated buddy!

Jim

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Bill I know this is an older thread but just had to do a post. There is no doubt that your little girl is so beautiful. It amazes me with her colors when she raises her hat! The picture after her bath is striking,looks like in the 1990 era when the punk scene was in full bloom,with her "hair" going every which way lol..and then the picture of Nike rubbing her beakie along your cheek ( HUGE smile on your face lol) Amy will do the same to me when we go on adventures in the car,gives me goose bumps lol.

Curious,are you still feeding Texas Freeze Dried to her? I just ordered a quart sized bag for Amy and The Beebs. Amy is getting tired of Bird Sreet Bistro but BB seems to groove on all the different flavors.
More pics of the lovely Nike would be appreciated buddy!

Jim
Jim, thanks.

Nike too got tired of the Bistro and the Freeze Dried chop so I discontinued them back in the spring. I just got a quart sized bag of the chop (happy to see the $5.XX shipping cost for the one bag too) and she's beginning to nibble on it again...it will take some time but that's the big advantage of the Freeze Dried...no waste other than the spoon full I put in her bowl each day.

Nike still picks at her Harrison's and I've increased her nut intake since I read that a higher level of fat seems to be important for Hawkheads as it is for Macaws, as well as a couple of Senior nutriberries. She also get's some cooked spice, nut, bean, seed and pasta mixes I get from My Safe Bird Store.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Jim, thanks.

Nike too got tired of the Bistro and the Freeze Dried chop so I discontinued them back in the spring. I just got a quart sized bag of the chop (happy to see the $5.XX shipping cost for the one bag too) and she's beginning to nibble on it again...it will take some time but that's the big advantage of the Freeze Dried...no waste other than the spoon full I put in her bowl each day.

Nike still picks at her Harrison's and I've increased her nut intake since I read that a higher level of fat seems to be important for Hawkheads as it is for Macaws, as well as a couple of Senior nutriberries. She also get's some cooked spice, nut, bean, seed and pasta mixes I get from My Safe Bird Store.
I've been feeding Amy Bistro for a number of years now. I nuke the stuff instead of brewing on the stove top. One cup of Bistro and one cup and a little of water then nuke for 3.30 minutes,sometimes a little more or little less water to change consistency. I nuke it in an appropriate tupperware container,cover it to "steam/cool" down for 15 minutes or so. One "batch" will yield about four days worth. If it comes from the fridge I let it get up to room temp.
What IS a serving size for Nike??? I give Amy three to four tablespoons. If it comes straight from the fridge it's usually chunky/clumpy where I have to break it up with fork/spoon. When I add other goodies. i.e. a piece of cob corn or baby carrot I warm it up and he will munch when warn not cold.

Jim

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
One thing you'll notice in all my pics and videos is that Nike uses her headdress as part of her normal dialog, interaction and expression. Most "experts" on Youtube always associate the articulation of the headdress with aggression or dominance which is just not true in my experience.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
One thing you'll notice in all my pics and videos is that Nike uses her headdress as part of her normal dialog, interaction and expression. Most "experts" on Youtube always associate the articulation of the headdress with aggression or dominance which is just not true in my experience.
You can tell in the videos that Nike uses her headdress even when she is happy. She definately likes to preen you ha ha. I have never seen a hawkeye in person.

Most Reactions

Latest posts