No Longer Eating Pellets

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Sun Conure, and Blue Indian Ringneck
Has anyone ever had their parrots lose their taste for pellets? Niles isn't eating his Roudybush nearly as well as when he first came to me. He will pick at it it. I even notice his poops have that tell tale greenish hue from seed eating not like the brown when he first arrived from the pellets. I have been trying to make him eat them buy not giving him nutriberries, papaya, and even cut down on the bountiful harvest...but still he doesn't seem too thrilled with them. Then I worry he will starve and give in. Tonight I gave him some of Mangos cockatiel size fruit flavored zupreem and a huge bowl of bountiful harvest and higgins mayan harvest..with a bit of roudybush mixed it.He ate for like 20 minutes straight. I sometimes catch him taking handfuls of roudybush and throwing them on the cage bottom. I think he's telling me he's not a fan of the Roudybush anymore. He must eat something because he's very active, talks up a storm, attacks his toys and seems happy. So if he's super hungry, I think he eats them but if he can hold out he waits til he gets the good stuff.

I just ordered some Harrisons High Potency Coarse from My Safe Bird Store, I'm in Pa, so I should get it quickly. I ordered on Fri after noon and am getting that package monday (mad at myself I forgot to include this in that order)...so I'm guessing Tue or Wed for the pellets...From searching these forums Harrisons seems to be the preffered pellet for Greys. Niles loves sweet things like papaya and adores nuts, especially almonds. I hope I can get him to eat this..if not I may be forced to try the Zupreem fruitblend.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get him back on the right track?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Buy some digital scales and weigh him often, take the guess work out of equation.Weigh him in the AM before he eats. I'd feed the pellets in separate dish. Give him a dish of what ever other food, but remove it after an hour or two and leave the pellets all day. Why the High Pro ?? Is he flighted with lots of out of cage time? Have you asked an AV about wether or not he's over/under weight ?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
nut stopped eating her pellets for a while, like you i was worried, but tough love works :)

they won't starve themselves, i just don't offer that much choice, and the only food that is availible in nuts out of cage dishes are her pellets, she'll eat them, rather then go into her cage for some of her good stuff

Most Reactions

Latest posts