No time for my bird! Rehome him?

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I thought she was just playing with my socks, but she was chewing holes in them! :eek:

That would be my RFM. Except she wasn't in the laundry basket. She was perched on my foot. I was wearing those socks at the time...

It happened more than once.

I always assumed it was a macaw thing... :p chew a hole in your socks, and then puke on your toes!

I have bird shirts, but I also have bird socks...

Which, now that I think of it, resemble my "now slightly used" favorite pair of flip flops...
I have a bird shirt too and I hope I only have one. Just recently I made a Jingle hoodie for me to wear and Jingle to play with. I sewed buttons all over it. I hope he likes it and the buttons because I won't be wearing it for anyone else to enjoy. :p

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I thought she was just playing with my socks, but she was chewing holes in them! :eek:

That would be my RFM. Except she wasn't in the laundry basket. She was perched on my foot. I was wearing those socks at the time...

It happened more than once.

I always assumed it was a macaw thing... :p chew a hole in your socks, and then puke on your toes!

I have bird shirts, but I also have bird socks...

Which, now that I think of it, resemble my "now slightly used" favorite pair of flip flops...

EEEWWW puke in between toes! :26:

I was letting her run around on the bed while I folded laundry. I was tossing the socks in a pile to be sorted after I had them all in the pile. She was grabbing them and taking off to the far side of the bed where I couldn't reach her. When I did go over and get them I didn't even notice what she had done. I paired them up put them in the drawer and found out the next morning when I was putting on a pair, then another pair, and another pair, they all had at least one hole in them!

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
hahaha, that would be frustrating, but I think I would have to laugh! Mel tries to pull the stitching out of our couches. She is super sneaky about it, too!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thanks for this thread. It's so good to read some common sense. Peep hangs out with me all the time I'm home. I'll settle him on his cage when cooking or doing something that might be dangerous to him. I'm up early before work and he's on my knee grinding his beak acting upset I got him up early. When I get home later out he comes and hangs out the rest of the night. He murmurs happily when it's bedtime and we start all over the next day.

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
I enjoyed this thread a lot! My house has always been a crazy place, with four kids (now grown up) who each had their own pets, and my own dogs, and not to forget the highly stressful job. If I can make my bed with the dog laying on it (or two), I certainly can do it with a parrot on my shoulder and one on my arm. If I could cook dinner with the youngest child hanging like a dead sack of potatoes on my neck (he just NEVER even tried to help me carry him), while the teenagers and their friends were hanging out in my kitchen (sometimes I had more than 12 here at the same time), then I can hold loud conversations with the birds in the living room, while burning my hand taking the roast out of the oven. I never said I can breathe and cook at the same time....

Two weeks ago when I announced at work that I was adopting another plucker I hoped to rehabilitate, my boss said... WHY? It's just a bird in a cage! What can you do with a bird in a cage? (How about....'take it out' ???)

I don't think I made a new friend (or will ever get a raise) when I snapped "because of people like you, there must be people like me"... and yes, my pointy finger was in action. Too bad this aging woman is getting confrontational rather than wise...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I think a lot of the time when people say "I don't have time, and it's not fair to the bird" is just an easy way of making it look like a legit reason, when what they REALLY mean to say is "I really don't want this animal anymore" which of course sounds so bad, so obviously no one dares say it that way.

I've had Robin for over 20 years. He is truly my soulmate animal. But unfortunately I didn't always realize that. There were times in my life over those 2 decades where I not only didn't have much time, but I hate to admit that for some years during Robin's life, I really wasn't "into" him. :( I did make sure he at least had a clean cage, food and a few toys. You have to realize too, that much of that time, forums and the Internet weren't really around for support. To make friends who are also interested in birds would have been fun and then of course may have sparked my interest back. In fact I didn't have a computer until 2000, and did not even know what an online 'forum' was until about 2006 :52:. BUT EVEN THEN, I didn't want to rehome him. Thankfully Robin is a very independent species AND individual. He just rolls with the punches. I've never seen such an easy going bird. SEE?? I still have him thank God, and it worked out fine. I "didn't have time" or even worse wasn't into him (gosh I feel guilty saying it now), but it all worked out. I really think many people just use that line as an excuse to get the animal out of the house.

That being said, I have had to rehome birds in the past, but for circumstances when it was best for the particular birds. Not for irresponsible reasons. In a nutshell, the birds ended up happier in their new environments. No more though :) My boys Robin, Raven, Griffin, and Twigs are the loves of my life, and they are the right birds for me.

Last edited:

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
-Multi-task. Too much homework/office work t get done, not enough time for birdie? Put the bird on your shoulder, on a play stand, etc, and spend time with the bird without making them your focus. This may mean you have to put some time into teaching your bird to play on their own while near you, but that is a skill your bird needs anyway. Take Polly in the shower with you, put her on the towel rack to preen while you do your hair/shave/brush your teeth. sweep the floor with a bird on your head, make phone calls while giving scritches, etc. I have my husband do this, too! He is very busy, but he doesnt rehome me :) Instead, when I feel like he isnt spending time with me but he has work to do, he will sit by me on the couch and do his work, or invite me to eat lunch with him in the middle f the day, which brings me to my next point...

A parrot that is out of his cage on a playstand in the same room you're in, and occasionally gets paid attention to, is getting "quality time." So, quit making excuses, or beating yourself up over it.

Example: Yesterday I watched a football game. Each quarter I changed the bird that was perched on my leg. (Didn't even NEED the playstand!) THAT counts as quality one on one lap time for them... and they were perfectly content to stay like that. (For one quarter, or the whole day if I'd let them.)

This is too funny, I actually do the same thing. Sunday I watched the GreenBay Packers take on the Detroit Lions. My 4 parrots love to watch football. One on my shoulder, one on the perch, One on a towel on the back of an arm chair, the other on the other arm chair. We switch after a quarter as well. We have snacks and water. (which my birds all can drink from a glass.) Everytime the lions scored or made a play, I'd go " yeay ! good play...or Touchdown!!!! and they all go whoop whoop ! and raise their wings. Quite funny.
When I accidently said during game when green bay got a touchdown, " ohhhh no they got a touch down...My Grey would whoop whoop...and I'd say hey !! wrong team your rooting for pal...." Then he says....."ohhhhhhhh"

My wife and her friend came in to sit down and the look on her friends face..... My wife just turns to her and says..." the birds like football"....Are you sure they aren't spoiled here her friend says....Ahhh ha ha. That's called spending time with your birds. Mine watch me make their breakfast, watch me work..ride in truck...sit at table and eat with me sometimes..

It's not easy for many to take care of birds, it's a true devotion and love for birds. It's unexplainable to many people, some will just never get it. Some will try then fail at having a bird. Owning a parrot is not for everyone. But research first long and hard before you make that decision to own one. Then make that decision after your sure you can put time forth in caring and raising it properly....

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Two weeks ago when I announced at work that I was adopting another plucker I hoped to rehabilitate, my boss said... WHY? It's just a bird in a cage! What can you do with a bird in a cage? (How about....'take it out' ???)

I don't think I made a new friend (or will ever get a raise) when I snapped "because of people like you, there must be people like me"... and yes, my pointy finger was in action. Too bad this aging woman is getting confrontational rather than wise...

I was at a friend's house this week when some well meaning friends of hers were saying things like "Wow, he knew you were talking to him! Did you see that?? He knows you are talking to him!! Do they all have personalities? Wow, like a dog or cat? Wow!" Yeah, they were talking about her Eckie who uses words in context...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I was at a friend's house this week when some well meaning friends of hers were saying things like "Wow, he knew you were talking to him! Did you see that?? He knows you are talking to him!! Do they all have personalities? Wow, like a dog or cat? Wow!" Yeah, they were talking about her Eckie who uses words in context...

Ugh. Disgusting. Too bad, but that's the way it will always be. That's WHY I generally don't even say I have birds among non-bird people. I don't even mention it since I know it will lead to stuff like the above :25:

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I typically do, because I REALLY want people to understand. But some days I am too burned out on all the nonsense. We have a pet store super nearby that sells everything from budgies to Macaws and lets just say that while the store is clean, there is a lot of "birdy abuse" going on, and I believe the owners KNOW they are doing things wrong. Every time people find out I have birds, they always say "OOooohh, have you been to *** ****?" I take the opportunity to let them know the horrors and why I would never get a bird from them (the short version) and point them in a healthier direction.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's actually good that you do that when you have an opportunity to tell them about the pet store. Usually if people see my birds or know I have them (and have a genuine interest, like some friends of mine) they will find the facts interesting. Otherwise, I find it's hard to have patience for people like you mentioned.

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Well said.
I'm trying to figure out a good way to balance school, social life and bird time right now, so this is quite helpful.
Kiwiberry is a little velcro bird, so the first step for me right now is making her more independent :)

lindi_s

Sep 16, 2014
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Female Senegal named Gizmo
Male GCC named Chewy
Thank you so much for this great post!!! I think people sometimes mistake "QUANTITY" for "QUALITY" when it comes to time spent with our little ones.
I spend my morning with my sennie on or near me... she loves helping me apply makeup... and by help, I mean she runs away with my mascara or such like! Lol! Then while I have breakfast, my GCC is on my shoulder sharing my fruit. After that it is off to work for me.
In the evenings they are both out for a cuddle until I make dinner and then they sit on top of their cages in the room with us and we all eat together.
TV time is their favourite, and it is so easy to give cuddles and scritches while they are on our laps for that half hour TV episode etc. Chewy (my GCC) inevitably falls asleep in my hand and Gizmo (sennie) chews contentedly on one of her bamboo shoots.
Then off to bed with them and I get to clean up and do whatever else needs to be done.
Multitasking is definitely the way to go...they don't need 100% focus, they just want to be PART OF whatever we're doing.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

1. Non bird people don't get it. And that's exactly the problem. They THINK these birds just sit in cages and do nothing, except bite, scream and make messes... and of course, then "You'd have to be crazy to want something like that in your home. Why?!"

2. Beyond the obvious: Not wise to argue with the boss unless you no longer need the job. Her mind was made up. Why confuse her with the facts. Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

3. Every boss I've had since moving to Texas has been an avid hunter. "Birds are useful things for target practice. Other than that, they have no value..." Ummm... I'm just gonna sit here with my tree huggin' mouth shut.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
This is an AWESOME thread!!! Thanks so much for posting!!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
I honestly don't know which is better, not trying to explain to ignorant people, or trying to educate even though they would not understand.

Every time I have Milo with me and people come up and "awwww isn't he cute" I immediately tell them that he is a lot of work, purely because I know that people goes into bird-owning without doing their research first.

Unfortunately even well meaning owners sometimes does not quite get it right, as they are not truly invested in their parrots. For example, the birdie I am babysitting at the moment, I know her parents loves her a lot, but research into enriching her life for example is lacking.

That is why I am so thankfully for a forum like this, I think the educational value of being a part of this is worth more than gold. I learn from all of you every day.

I visited a petstore the other day when someone was buying a baby ringneck. Within minutes I found myself trying to "educate" this man regarding food, cages etc. He was already standing with a bag of sunflower seeds in his hand! Sorry, sometimes it isn't easy to keep my big trap shut, Lol.

My last piece of advice to him: please, please, please join an online forum!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I always explain what is involved, especially when I have a bird like Maggie out in public, and you start hearing stuff like "Oh, I really want one..."

You would actually be amazed how many times I've had mine out in public and just had someone walk up and offer to give me their bird. I wish I could do that with my bird but "It bites."

Well how often do you handle it, or let it out of the cage?

"We can't handle it, and we never let it out of the cage. IT bites!"

No cause and effect analysis required.

Most Reactions

Latest posts