Not sure about parakeet pairs.

Ella11

Jul 28, 2019
I have a pair of parakeets, boy, and girl. Is it possible to add two female parakeets? Or should I introduce a male and a female? The original pair are bonded, and I may breed them in the future.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
If by parakeets , you mean budgerigars- then no females are more quarrelsome and it is better to have an equal ratio of males and females. Sometimes, but not all times, surplus males can somehow get along but surplus females always causes problems.

Smerft85

Jun 10, 2019
Colorful Colorado with colorful birds
Parrots
6 budgies, 3 cockatiels, 1 amazon and two Indian ringnecks
If by parakeets , you mean budgerigars- then no females are more quarrelsome and it is better to have an equal ratio of males and females. Sometimes, but not all times, surplus males can somehow get along but surplus females always causes problems.

I'd agree with most of what's said, but not always! I've got 6 housed together and I only believe two of them to be male, don't get me wrong, there are squabbles, but 95% of the time they will all preen eachother, sing to each other and it's usually group play. However the biggest difference is that none of mine are even a year old, and they were all brought home within 2 weeks as weanlings, I'm not sure how an older budgie would react to new budgies if they have been settled in for a long time, and just get a couple new roommates out of the blue, it's a possibility that the old birds may NEVER accept the new ones leading you to have two cages! Only way to find out I suppose is to try, but watch very closely!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts