oatmeal?

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
hello again!

so every time i think about adding something new to my birds chop, i research it, and come across so many opinions! its frustrating! im currently in the middle of preparing a batch of chop and i was thinking of adding some dry oats and letting it all sit in the fridge over night before freezing in bags tomorrow morning. i would be sure to not put in too many that it is overpowering the veggies, but i think it would be great for sucking up some of the juice that comes out when each bag is thawed.

my question is..would it be ok for oatmeal to be mixed into a chop that he will eat daily? is that too much oats? i read that its only good occasionally, and then i read other places that they can have it in the chop for this same purpose. if its bad for him i will just deal with squeezing out each bag as i thaw it since it really isnt a big deal.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yep! Parker LOVES raw oatmeal. We throw it into almost everything and use it as a treat new people can give him.

OP
littleredhen77

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
the batch of chop im making right now might take like 1.5 cups of oats, im really not sure but i wouldnt want to add more than that. im making a big batch to last maybe a month and a half.

what i have is 'quick oats' the kind that comes in those big cardboard canister things is that what you use?

OP
littleredhen77

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
alright! im still chopping..taking breaks to rest my fingers and let more veggies drip dry a bit..hopeing someone else chimes in as well before im done :)

it would be great if this works as planned, since the juice i squeeze out has to be healthy and id love to have it absorbed into oats for him instead of dumping it!

hes having a grand time 'helping me' tonight! :D

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Oh man, I never thought of giving Jasper raw oatmeal. I bought him a huge bag and made some up a few times (with water) and he hated it. I should try it raw! Don't want it to go to waste.

OP
littleredhen77

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
id worry about feeding it dry, i figure its gotta absorb while its in his little bird crop..but in the chop itll suck up veggie juices..not sure if that still counts as raw..i dunno..

ill definatly have to take out a bit of chop and try some in it first because id hate it if he didnt like it after all! ill go do that now

Most Reactions