Oh Calypso, you do embarrass me!

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
This past week my darling girl has taken to screaming at people.

Not everyone. Just those few types of people that sadly, anyone who works with other people come across - those with terrible personal hygiene.

Cal detects body odour and she's OFF! She lunges to the side of the cage nearest to wherever they are standing, looks most defient and literally SCREAMS.

Now, we know these people are sort of unpleasant to be around for everyone no matter how nice they are lol. It's unlikely they have any idea what the matter with her is but she doesn't stop until they've gone out the door. Then she looks displeased for a few minutes while the smell disappears!

It's EXCRUCIATING for me because they must wonder when they come to the till to pay me I'm redder than a red thing on a Summers day!!!!

I can't even spray anything anymore for obvious reasons!

Lordy lordy.....it just happened for the 3rd time today alone and I'm mainly just writing you this because I have my back to the shop and am hiding my red face!!!!

On a serious note, does anyone per chance make their own bird safe air freshener? I can only think of lemon juice, water and bicarbonate soda. Would that even work do you think??:eek:<<<<<<definately me right now!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
LOL.gif

Sorry I have no advice. Cant think clearly when I am laughing so lekker.:D

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Oh that must be horrible (and awkward) to deal with.

I don't make my own air freshener, however are there any eucalyptus type trees near your place? Not sure if there would be where you live. Even another sort of bird safe plant might work.

Anyway, I give Eddie a bunch of fresh gum leaves to chew on (he completely destroys them) and the house smells so fresh and clean lol, it is such a strong smell and lasts for hours. It also acts as a good birdie breath freshener ;). The sent is so strong it could even cover Chewbacca's BO. :)

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
hahaha! I know! It's so difficult Linky!!!!

Customer: That's a lively one isn't it?
Cal: SCCRREEEEECH
Me: *laughs weakly* yep.
Cust: Can I have 20 Lambert and Butler too please?
Cal: SCRRREEEEEAAAAAM
Me: *looking blankly at the till very red faced*
Cal: SCCCRRREEEEEAAAAAAAMMMMM
Cust: Is it always like that?
Cal: SSSCCCCCRRREAMEMEMEMEMEME!
Me: *So red heat is coming off* No no, she's just woken up the wrong side of crazy this morning, haven't you Calypso?
Cal: SCCCRRREEEAAAAM wrremt. (Her bog standard reply to me) SCCCRRREAAAAAM

So it goes on. It'd be ok, but there's 3 of them who come in EVERY day. lol.

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Gum leaves.....this is where I show my ignorance. Do these come of literall gum trees? If so, I think that's a no go :(

Also, where is your thank button??? Tis gone!

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
Ben's got a great idea with the leaves thing. I give Baby some whole star anise as a treat occasionaly. The seeds are yummy and the whole place smells of licorice after she's done.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Thats why I never deal with customers because my conversation will be like this:

Cust: Is it always like that?
Cal: SSSCCCCCRRREAMEMEMEMEMEME!
Me: No she only screams when she smells something stinking!
Cal: SCCCRRREEEAAAAM wrremt. (Her bog standard reply to me) SCCCRRREAAAAAM

I dont know how to NOT BE honest.:D

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
LOLOLOLOL Linky!!! I'm laughing so hard right now!!!

I think I would if it wasn't my living!

I can see it now....

"That rude cow at the newsagents told me to ave' a shower - dunno who she finks she is stuck up beeeeeep!"

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Gum leaves.....this is where I show my ignorance. Do these come of literall gum trees? If so, I think that's a no go :(

Also, where is your thank button??? Tis gone!

Eucalyptus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia don't you love wikipedia? I seriously doubt there would be ANY within 200 miles of you but it was worth a shot lol. 'Gum Tree' is a bit of a nickname for these trees for the gummy sap found inside some of them. My knowledge on flora is pretty limited. Anyone know of a good smelling leaf/flower that is birdsafe, that Von could use? (native to her area of course) Better yet, any home-made fresheners? Spiritbird seems to know a lot about this sort of stuff.

Last edited:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Ok let me pull myself together here. :rolleyes: Herbs will do the trick as well. Rosemary, thyme and sage smell strong and you can give her a twig when the need arrives. Sterretjies loves pulling them apart and then she smells so beautiful. :D

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I've read that essential oils are a no go, I've also read some are ok :^)

I have rosemary and thyme in pure essential oil form. 2 drops of each in a half litre spray bottle....ok or not ok do you think?

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I guess it's a good thing Cal isn't a really great talker, I can just imagine something like " no mate I don't always scream like this, but quite frankly I'm doing it because I find you offensively stinky" comming out of her mouth :11:........now THAT would be embarassing!

Last edited:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
HAHA how come this story reminds me of that 'Paulie' movie lol. You know that part where he is sitting in the shop? Skip to 8:15. Von, this is what you need to teach Cal to do :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeaXG41rg9c]YouTube - paulie part 3/9[/ame]

Last edited:

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Georigie, a very maniacal ball of fluff.
Babii (baby), The cuddle sponge
LOL!! I can hardly blame the little guy, he's only doing what most people wish they could!!!!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I've read that essential oils are a no go, I've also read some are ok :^)

I have rosemary and thyme in pure essential oil form. 2 drops of each in a half litre spray bottle....ok or not ok do you think?

If I was you I would check the label and search on the web, or phone the manufacturer to find out what EXACTLY is in it. You never know these days.

Make the solution as you say and spray some to see if it smells strong. I cant imagine that the smell would be strong enough if diluted that much.

I would use flower petals and sprinkle the oil on it, place it in something like a coffee filter and hang it outside her cage in front of her nose. But only when the need arrives otherwise she will get used to the smell.

Or you can give her a flower, Sterretjie sits and pluck the petals off.
vishenka_27.gif
You can pick them in the morning and keep them in water until the person arrives. I have all sorts of flowers in my garden that I plant for my iguana - HE LOVES FLOWERS.:D Here is a list of edible flowers that I know is safe for birds because Sterrejtie has eaten them all.

Marigold
Nasturtium
Rose petals
Carnation
Hibiscus
Dahlia
Johnny-jump-up
Hollyhock
Impatiens
Geraniums
Violets
Day lilies
Petunia

I am sure there is a lot more flowers that are bird safe, just be 100% sure they are pesticide free. ;)

Birds do not really show in their eyes how much they love flowers, but my iguana sure do! Here is a photo of him loving his petunias - see the LOVE in his eyes.
loveshower.gif

20091217_31.jpg

She's my friend so I was allowed to post my boy.
new.gif

Last edited:
OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Awww Ben! That film looks adorable, I've never heard of it! Unfortunately this comp doesn't like fast forwarding you tube so I had to sit watching the lil cherub wail for her birdy </3

It's really funny in here, I'm always telling people off for swearing in front of Cal. I really don't want her to swear! We don't swear and I don't want people thinking that we do? I mean "bugger" "damn" etc, fine but the F word....eeek! Bandied around too frequently in this place!!!!!

However, Paulie has given me some ideas for swear free insults haha! As has Bobby!!

Linky, that was GREAT advice - thankyou so much! I can get most of those flowers readily available. I'm going to see if I can get some organic ones.

Most Reactions