Oh Dear...

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
Ever since becoming a bird mom I have thought to myself "small birds is where it's at". And after becoming enamored with ekkies and mentally deciding that they would be a part of my flock some day, I started to see more and more of the appeal in bigger birds. But I said to myself: just ONE. Just ONE big bird. An eclectus. Someday.

Then I met... a Major Mitchell's cockatoo. Hooo boy.
Funnily enough, I was at one of my favourite specialty bird stores with my boyfriend who was looking for his first fid; a budgie. And then there they were, the most beautiful cockatoo I had ever seen. And not only pretty but so kind. When I was by their side, their attention never left me. They were cooing so softly and sweetly it was like a siren's song enticing me to surrender my free will. So I cautiously put my fingers to the bars of the cage, to you know, test the boundaries. Absolutely no issues there. They practically begged me to pet them, fluffing up the feathers around their neck and poking them through the cage bars. I took it as an invitation. The eyes of this bird seemed to say "bring me home, keep me as your forever friend!"

I haven't been able to forget that lovely cockatoo. I don't think I ever will. As of right now, conditions just aren't permitting for me to care for them... but they definitely left an impression on me. Now I see a cockatoo in my future. :p

I almost had a chance to see them again today, but the store wasn't open. :( That's okay though, I'm already torn up enough about it. I shouldn't torture myself, haha~ Anyway, I just wanted to share. Have you guys had any experiences like mine? Or tell me how you fell in love with your 'too, I'd love to hear. :)

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I like your story. Don't worry you will get to see him again. We have no pet stores around here so it is easy for me to avoid buying :)

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Where are you from? Major Mitchell's are ~$4000 here. Cockatoos are always so enticing. They love attention and cuddles. Unfortunately, this ropes many people who cannot handle them in. Cockatoos are tough! With that being said, they certainly are beautiful.

At the national aquarium in Baltimore, they did a small "watch and learn." The animal on display was Margaret, a hyacinth macaw. She was big, bold, beautiful, tame, smart, and full of tricks. I am so enamored by these big birds. Unfortunately, they run about $12,000. I better start playing the lottery.

OP
C

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
Wow... $4000... I guess it's good I didn't ask about the price. But it is possible that the cockatoo was actually store owned and not for sale. They have a few GWs that just hang out but aren't on the market. I didn't bother asking though because I knew I wouldn't have been able to buy in my current financial and living situation.

I live about 45 minutes from downtown LA. :)

If I ever had the chance to meet a Hyacinth in person I'd probably never leave, haha~

OP
C

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
birdbreeders.com will give you some general US price ranges. The big guys aren't cheap!

Well I'm not surprised, these are large exotic birds we are talking about! But to me, if I have the funds, I don't mind the price. My 'tiel was $150 because he came with common disease testing and health checks already done by an avian vet. Didn't have to think twice about it, even though I've seen 'tiels going for $60 elsewhere.

Thanks for the link. It'll keep things in perspective for me when I'm ready to start saving for a new flock member. :D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Toos are certainly charmers, they will not only pull you in they will wrap their talons around your heart and never let go. The Major Mitchell's are pure eye candy.

This part is always the hardest for me, there are thousands of Toos in shelters that desperately need loving homes. Most homes are not appropriate for Toos. My best advice is forget you met the Toos. To help you forget, read everything you can find before you make the commitment. Here's a link with very mild content. I'll leave it to someone else to direct you to a location with much harsher content, the kind that leaves you sobbing.

http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatoos/17694-owning-cockatoo.html

If that doesn't cure your desire to share your home with a Too, and I sort of hope it doesn't, then while you are waiting for a better time to commit, volunteer at a shelter, get to know some Toos that have changed homes several times, been neglected, abused, locked away in a dark room. Spend time with them, my guess is you'll decide one way or the other, Toos aren't for everyone, tired cliche but so true. If you do fall hard for them, they could certainly use the help.

I wish you well. I'm betting there will be birds in your future, careful what you wish for.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations, you've rounded the first bend and are smitten by these wonderful creatures. As Allee posted, companionship with these complex parrots is far more than the price of admission. Fortunately there are many shelters and specialized pet shops in the greater LA area.

Please ask questions and let us know what you decide!

OP
C

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
Toos are certainly charmers, they will not only pull you in they will wrap their talons around your heart and never let go. The Major Mitchell's are pure eye candy.

This part is always the hardest for me, there are thousands of Toos in shelters that desperately need loving homes. Most homes are not appropriate for Toos. My best advice is forget you met the Toos. To help you forget, read everything you can find before you make the commitment. Here's a link with very mild content. I'll leave it to someone else to direct you to a location with much harsher content, the kind that leaves you sobbing.

http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatoos/17694-owning-cockatoo.html

If that doesn't cure your desire to share your home with a Too, and I sort of hope it doesn't, then while you are waiting for a better time to commit, volunteer at a shelter, get to know some Toos that have changed homes several times, been neglected, abused, locked away in a dark room. Spend time with them, my guess is you'll decide one way or the other, Toos aren't for everyone, tired cliche but so true. If you do fall hard for them, they could certainly use the help.

I wish you well. I'm betting there will be birds in your future, careful what you wish for.

Ahh, no worries! I'm in my early twenties right now, trying to go back to college, working minimum wage to pay my bills, you know the bit. By the time I would even seriously consider bringing home a bird such as this, I imagine myself to be much older with a home of my own, possibly kids if the circumstances permit. That'll give me plenty of time to educate myself and really prepare for the commitment.

I am aware of the work that comes with cockatoos. They're more than just decorations for the home... definitely not impulse buys. If I had the ability to adopt and give a parrot a better home, I wouldn't have think twice about it. The great thing about the store I am talking about is that they actually take in and re-home unwanted birds. They have a whole section of the store where they keep birds with disabilities. One of the associates there told me that they don't believe in abandoning these animals or leaving them left in shelters. And I know that these are genuine claims, because I've seen them in action. :)

But I do thank you for helping me learn and providing me with these resources. I will most definitely take a look as I am always trying to better myself as a parront. ♡

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
I adore my Rocky. However ... the screaming, which is especially bad right now as he's hormonal, is awful. He has done serious damage to window frames and woodwork. He's bitten Hubby badly enough that we thought he might need stitches. Then he snuggles up against me and coos "I wuv ooooh" and I forgive him for all of it. I saw him for sale on a Facebook site devoted to offloading your unwanted items. I couldn't stand it, worrying about somebody who was unprepared for parrots buying him. That's how he ended up with us. And we thought we were prepared, but we'd never had a big parrot before. Our biggest parrot (before Rocky) is a Quaker. Noisy and moody and cranky, but nothing compared to a 'too. I wouldn't trade him for anything and I love him, but I might have thought twice had I realized what we were in for.

Most Reactions

Latest posts