Olive Oil or Coconut Oil for a Lubricant?

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hello Everyone,

What do you recommend to lubricate/moisturize their beaks and feet?
I have seen Virgin Olive Oil used at my local bird shop. But, Iā€™m wondering if a Virgin Organic Coconut Oil might be a better choice?
I have both on hand, just curious if one is more desirable or maybe even something else all together?

Thank you in advance for your input. :)

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
This is new to me. Ive never heard of lubing their feet or beaks. I did have a vet put something on Cookies beak right after his one time trim, but no idea what it was. I would love to know if its something I missed that I should do. I have both of those oils, one was being used in a diet for a sick bird, but not a lube.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The best thing would be a healthy diet that includes fresh foods. Now, you can always mix in a little bit of coconut oil into their fresh foods! ;)

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
The best thing would be a healthy diet that includes fresh foods. Now, you can always mix in a little bit of coconut oil into their fresh foods! ;)

Thx Monica, I already do that, (healthy diet/fresh foods).
However, we have a wood burning stove and the house gets dry in the winter. I want to keep him his healthy best. And like I stated early, I have seen the bird shop doing it.
We have humidifiers I can use and we put a pot of water on the stove from time to time.
I'd like to be proactive and prevent issues rather than correcting them later on. :)

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Careful with the water on the stove. I had Timneh get spooked and sure enough she landed right I. The pot of water left from the night before. So it was cold but still scared me. I usually take more precautions when it's hot also but still really showed me that yes this can happen. I battle the dryness also in my house.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I've never tried olive oil but I use organic coconut oil on my U2's beak and feet when the air gets dry. I also add a little coconut oil in chop and birdie bread. My African grey isn't comfortable with having his feet and beak rubbed so I make sweet potato fries sprinkled with melted coconut oil and baked in the oven, he holds the fries and the oil transfers to his beak and feet pretty well.

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Thank You Billdore. Early on at the cabin Levi flew from his cage top and landed right on top of the wood stove. Luckily it was summer.
Thatā€™s when I purchased screens for both stoves. :smile049:

I've never tried olive oil but I use organic coconut oil on my U2's beak and feet when the air gets dry. I also add a little coconut oil in chop and birdie bread. My African grey isn't comfortable with having his feet and beak rubbed so I make sweet potato fries sprinkled with melted coconut oil and baked in the oven, he holds the fries and the oil transfers to his beak and feet pretty well.

Thank you Allee,
We have a routine every evening after dinner (TV time) Leviā€™s cuddle time so to speak. He sits on my lap or on my arm close to my chest and he gets pet and loves when I gently rub his beak as well. I include his feet to desensitize them. So, Iā€™m going to put a little coconut oil next to me and when weā€™re snuggling Iā€™ll dab my fingers first and message him. I have tried w/ the olive oil last winter, but I think he was crazy about the smell. I havenā€™t tried coconut oil yet. Iā€™ll try it tonight. I like your fries idea, thatā€™s great. :)

budgie choir

Jul 1, 2023
Parrots
Budgies: Yoko, Dreamy, Ono, Jeter, Liilly, Primrose, Pegasus
thank you for this old thread!!!!!!!!
i use coconut oil to remove the bands (if gently possible), I am looking for a dry beak solution...besides aloe I think this is great. Lilly has a dry beak, is this an age thing? does anyone know if as they get older they get dryer?

thanks flock!

Most Reactions