Opinions?

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
I adopted Papi, an 18 yr old Amazon in mid October from a rescue as his owner had passed away. I adore him! He is very sweet and has shown me no aggressive behavior, likes head scratches, kisses, and to sing/squawk with me. He barks until I come back into his presence and he also likes it when I make a big deal when he displays one or both wings. He looks at me like, "Oh, you like that"? 😁 The info about him said born in Florida 2004, male BFA. The rescue thinks possibly a BFA/RLA hybrid. I'd love any feedback, thank you

Attachments

• 5960.jpg
    5960.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 71
OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
I adopted Papi, an 18 yr old Amazon in mid October from a rescue as his owner had passed away. I adore him! He is very sweet and has shown me no aggressive behavior, likes head scratches, kisses, and to sing/squawk with me. He barks until I come back into his presence and he also likes it when I make a big deal when he displays one or both wings. He looks at me like, "Oh, you like that"? 😁 The info about him said born in Florida 2004, male BFA. The rescue thinks possibly a BFA/RLA hybrid. I'd love any feedback, thank you

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forum and the Wonderful World of Amazons!

I am guessing that you are in North America and that means we are just entering Hormonal Season for those Amazons located in the North!! Best to be careful as they can quickly change emotionally and act out!! If a Hormonal flow starts!! Please understand they have zero control of their emotions and can lunge and /or bite!!

A Single Photo from a single side makes if very difficult to define species, especially if there is a possibility of it being a Hybrid! Because of the vast difference in their natural ranges, this Hybrid would not have naturally occurred.

Blue-fronted Amazons have five naturally occurring species within their large range and in their natural setting they do not mate with other Amazon species.

Please understand that the 'art' of defining Hybrids is not a solid science as the determination is based more on what is not found, than what is! With Blue-fronted Amazons, size maters and having this Amazons weight would be helpful. With this tiny amount of information, I would shy away from it being a Blue-fronted Amazon. That said, Red-lored Amazons commonly have greater amounts of red on their Crowns and Lores, but they vary greatly!!

Please read with 'deep understanding' the Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum Titled something like: Understanding Amazon (base) Body Language!! You will find a vast amount of information regarding working with older Amazons in the Thread: I Love Amazons!!

OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
Welcome to Parrot Forum and the Wonderful World of Amazons!

I am guessing that you are in North America and that means we are just entering Hormonal Season for those Amazons located in the North!! Best to be careful as they can quickly change emotionally and act out!! If a Hormonal flow starts!! Please understand they have zero control of their emotions and can lunge and /or bite!!

A Single Photo from a single side makes if very difficult to define species, especially if there is a possibility of it being a Hybrid! Because of the vast difference in their natural ranges, this Hybrid would not have naturally occurred.

Blue-fronted Amazons have five naturally occurring species within their large range and in their natural setting they do not mate with other Amazon species.

Please understand that the 'art' of defining Hybrids is not a solid science as the determination is based more on what is not found, than what is! With Blue-fronted Amazons, size maters and having this Amazons weight would be helpful. With this tiny amount of information, I would shy away from it being a Blue-fronted Amazon. That said, Red-lored Amazons commonly have greater amounts of red on their Crowns and Lores, but they vary greatly!!

Please read with 'deep understanding' the Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum Titled something like: Understanding Amazon (base) Body Language!! You will find a vast amount of information regarding working with older Amazons in the Thread: I Love Amazons!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed! Our resident Amazon guru ( and good friend) has given you some solid advice. We LOVE pics and videos on here, so post away!

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Congrats on your gorgeous and well adjusted birdy!
He does have characteristics that remind me of my RLA...
Shape of head, shape of beak, color of talons...
But I could be reading into it and talkin out my pie hole.

OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
I read the suggested pins and then a whole lot more, thank you. So my understanding is basically the honeymoon is about over lol. I shall watch for these hormonal seasonal changes and respect them as well

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Congrats on your gorgeous and well adjusted birdy!
He does have characteristics that remind me of my RLA...
Shape of head, shape of beak, color of talons...
But I could be reading into it and talkin out my pie hole.
I’m Wondering what the alternative of a pie hole would be for a parrot.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The problem with a RLA and BFA is that the RLA is/tends to be a smaller bird than a BFA.
I am thinking RLA and a Mexican red headed.
But as stated above need to wait a few years for the colors to develop.
I think your bird will be a stunner.
(y)

OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
The problem with a RLA and BFA is that the RLA is/tends to be a smaller bird than a BFA.
I am thinking RLA and a Mexican red headed.
But as stated above need to wait a few years for the colors to develop.
I think your bird will be a stunner.
(y)
Why thank ya much, and he really is. He's already 18 years old so...he is what he is lol

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Oops I missed the age.
I think only a carful study of DNA would tell.
Is there an Amazon Ancestry company out there?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Like beak being a pie shovel, pie scoop, etc. i mean I think a parrot could get proportionately more pie “in” via beak than humans could via mouth. Wouldn’t need a fork either. Imagine having eating utensils ON YOUR FACE.

Last edited:
OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
Like beak being a pie shovel, pie scoop, etc. i mean I think a parrot could get more pie “in” via beak than humans could via mouth. Wouldn’t need a fork either. Imagine having eating utensils ON YOUR FACE.
Yeah lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts