Orin started having severe seizures

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I boil my egg shells and dry them in the oven for sanitization. Sending your little Orin prayers!

Just food for thought ... years ago someone I know had a rat terrier who had seizures constantly. They put the dog on antisiezure mess that did not work well. The owners then stopped the seizure mess and upped the fat intake for the dog and her seizures stopped as long as the dog was given something fatty before bed (I think they used high fat content ground meat).

In the wild I know birds eat bugs which contain calcium, fat and gelatin. And we give our wild song birds suet (in the US). My Amazon was eating the inside of her feathers and I added collagen to her diet and she hasn't done it again.. just some food for thought because I haven't done intense research of GCC diet in the wild .

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I was waiting on my wife to make eggs again. Anyways, she did, although I had to pull the egg shells out of the top of the trash can because she forgot to save them for me. I washed the egg shells under faucet water, then dried them on a paper towel; when dried, I ground them up in a coffee grinder. Then I used a single cup, porcelain coffee cup with a porcelain filter holder that goes on top, and I poured all of the fine egg shell powder inside of a coffee filter, then poured about 1/2 a cup of isopropyl rubbing alcohol into the filter and mixed up the powder and alcohol, then let the alcohol drain through the filter into the coffee cup. Once drained, I discarded the rubbing alcohol, then dumped the wet egg shell powder onto the top of a folded up paper towel until the powder completely dried. I was able to fill up a standard-sized, empty RX medication bottle about 1/3 to 1/2 way full of powdered egg shell powder from just 5 egg shells.

So, with sterilized egg shell powder made…. I moistened a little bit of Harrison’s nuggets tonight (using a different method tonight and from now on) and added a little egg shell powder to the nuggets. Just enough to change the outer color of the nuggets initially to a whitish color. Once dried, the nuggets returned to the same color.

Until today, I have used an amber dropper bottle to mix the Unruffled Feathers brand of dry calcium + magnesium + vitamin D supplement powder with water, and to store the liquid for use. Sometime in this last year, my wife began noticing that this amber dropper bottle had “floaters” in it which she assumed was from the supplement and water. I saw that the floaters were black and that the only other thing the same color is the suction cup of the eye dropper. So I started dumping out the liquid in the amber bottle and cleaning it, then make new batches of mixture every couple weeks, then every week. It sucked, because we used up a lot more supplement powder. But it was ultimately better for our Orrin’s health not to have floaters in the same water as her supplement mixture. Now, instead of an eye dropper and an amber bottle, I have a small, clear spray bottle that atomizes water into the tiniest size of droplets.

Tonight, I added 2 scoops of dry calcium supplement powder to that new spray bottle, which is probably about a 3oz size bottle (taller yet narrower than the old 1oz bottle), and I only filled that new bottle with roughly 0.25oz of mixed water and dry calcium supplement powder, because clearly my conure wasn’t getting enough calcium with a larger, pre-use ratio of 1 scoop of dry supplement powder to .5oz or .75oz of water.

As to whether any of the aforementioned changes actually helps, it’s too soon to say: I don’t know yet. I can say that she does eat her Harrison nuggets after the nuggets are moistened and then sprinkled with egg shell powder. The egg shell powder doesn’t have a bitter smell to it either, unlike the dissolved calcium supplement powder.

I think when my avian probiotics arrive, I’ll still moisten the Harrison nuggets with dissolved calcium supplement powder even though I’m sprinkling in powdered egg shells, because the Unruffled brand of supplement powder also contains magnesium and vitamin D, and her lab work showed low levels of vitamin D and calcium. But rather than dissolving the dry probiotic powder into water and using that water to moisten her Harrison nuggets, I’ll add the dry probiotic powder into the moistened Harrison nuggets along with the egg shell powder. At the same time I ordered the dry avian probiotics, I also ordered liquid avian vitamins and minerals, and (unless I’m not remembering correctly, which is quite possible) I ordered a separate liquid form of calcium too, because I’ll soon run out of the Unruffled Feathers brand of calcium supplement. I’ll just have to figure out how many liquid drops to add to the water in which I dissolved the dry supplement powder containing calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. While my conure wasn’t previously getting enough calcium, as evidenced by her continued seizures—even though one member here disagrees about seizure causation—I don’t want to give her an overdose of calcium either. If her seizures stop, then I’ll have lab work performed again. If, after lab work is performed and after her seizures hopefully stop, the calcium levels are higher than needed, I’ll know to decrease her calcium levels somewhat. Until then, I’m going to overshoot rather than under shoot her calcium intake.

Thanks for all of the advise. As money permits, I’ll still buy freeze dried kale and broccoli and use my same sinister methods of tricking her. She will eat particlized green veggies if she won’t eat them whole!
Holy crud! Or, you could rinse the eggshells and then bake them in the oven…

Most Reactions

Latest posts