Other Bird Aggression

evenal

Mar 3, 2014
Westchester, NY
Parrots
Nori- Blue Indian Ringneck
Budgie - General Beeps
Cockatiel- Kirby
Hi everyone! This is my first post on parrot forums, so let me make an introduction. I have a license in veterinary technology and have worked with avians and other exotics extensively over the years. Right now I work as a dog groomer at a private shop. I am from New York and have owned various types of birds (cockatiel conure budgie lovebirds) since I was about 12 years old, I am now 27. The aforementioned birds, mostly have passed away as I was very young when they were born (or not even born yet.) I have a budgie that still lives with my parents as my younger brother (age 18) didn't want to part with him. I have just moved into a new apartment a few months ago and with it came my new arrival, a white bellied caique named Enzo. Enzo was an impulse buy, which I figured I'd get off my chest sooner then later. I don't normally do that but I was in a local bird only pet store and he just really connected with me. I spent a few hrs there with him and couldn't part. He is 4 months old, and unlike any other parrot I've owned including my golden capped conure.

I think the best word I could use to describe his personality is "intense." Everything he does is just like more intense then my other birds. He does have moments of calms, is what I call them. They are like the eye of the storm though. Some of his antics are really hysterical, I love the way he bounces all around and wiggles when he poos. I love how he gets super affectionate and nuzzles me and loves getting scratched all over. I love how he enjoys the companionship of humans that he doesn't even know, he was very well socialized... with humans.

That brings me to the fact that I'm pretty sure he wasn't well socialized with other birds.. at all. I recently went back to this parrot store and decided to buy a baby IRN. He/she is 7 weeks old and I decided to take on handfeeding as i used to breed budgies for a local petstore and have experience and enjoy doing so. I thought that since Enzo and this chick are so young it wouldn't be much of an issue having them at least be able to get along outside of the cage. BOY was I wrong. Enzo will bounce when he sees this chick.. like its a treat or a favorite toy.. I thought he might have wanted to play with it? NOPE He cocked his head back and lunged at it like a velociraptor. The baby made a grunting sound and thank goodness I have quick reflexes; I moved it away just in time.

I am now just letting Enzo see this chick but keeping a distance so he can get used to its presence. I am so concerned that this chick and my caique will have to forever live a life of separation and separate playtime...I don't have enough energy to keep up with caique as it is sometimes (my job is super stressful), let alone have to play with two birds at two different times. The goal was to be in separate cages but at least have another living thing there so he wouldn't be too lonely during the day and then come out on this nice playgym I have set up for them and enjoy being out together. I never really thought they would be all bonded together so I'm not looking for that, just a peaceful understanding i guess? At this stage my IRN chick is just too little to even chance any interactions, it has no way of defending itself as it isn't even fully perching yet, still very clumsy.

Which brings me to my questions. Does anyone have any positive experiences getting their caique to be tolerant of other birds? Does anyone have a similar problem and have found some kind of solution. Is there any way I can work with my caique to help form a distraction or perhaps train him with positivity toward the new bird. I have worked with my caique a lot , he doesn't scream he knows tricks he's a very well behaved bird for the most part. I just really need some help because I do not want to give either of them up because of this issue =( and I dont want their quality time to suffer because my caique goes on a warpath.

Sorry for the telenovella style writing LOL.
Thanks -Steven:yellow1:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I don't know why their like this but the only bird my caique likes Is the second one that we got [their best friends :)] . But they are too aggressive towards my other birds [even the Macaw they don't know their size}. They would like to eat my poor Greencheek. I out of safety wouldn't feel real great with them out together. They could live side by side in their cages :) [who knows they might develop a relationship that way] I live in New York too :)

OP
E

evenal

Mar 3, 2014
Westchester, NY
Parrots
Budgie - General Beeps
Cockatiel- Kirby
Oh man I'm a little upset about it! I just wish he would be tolerant of her presence as I live in an 850 sq ft. apt. I just feel awful! I want them to be able to be out on their play stand together eventually even though the chick is too young yet. I am going to keep the chick flighted for now and keep Enzo clipped so when the chick gets some confidence at least it will be able to fly away if enzo is bothering it. I will probably end up with one more bird soon so the IRN doesn't get too upset! .. General Beeps , my budgie will be staying at my parents house until his last days, my brother does not want to part with him, I can't blame him he is a cute little bugger .. Thanks for your reply , I'm in westchester county now, a former long islander! :)

Steve- :yellow1:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Try keeping their cages next to each other . After awhile [and I mean awhile]. . Put toys on top of both cages . Let the Caique climb on both cages and he can visit him through the bars [and maybe get used to him].

OP
E

evenal

Mar 3, 2014
Westchester, NY
Parrots
Budgie - General Beeps
Cockatiel- Kirby
Ok I will try that, I'm just concerned that my Caique is going to get the IRN through the bars at this stage ,I guess I will try that when the IRN is perching and acting more like an adult bird, mine is kind of a late bloomer and still prefers to do some nesting activities, Once it's neck feathers are fully grown in and don't have sheaths anymore I am going to take its little plush happy hut out so it can explore more. I just dont want the caique to get its neck or something, I'm just way too paranoid right now :( It's just the way the caique originally went after the baby just scared me a lot

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
I don't want to say anything bad about caiquies but I have read how they can kill other birds . But I guess all birds can [I just don't take any chances with any of my birds]

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
Just a side thought...you stated already that you don't have time sometimes for the birds you have and as you have learned not all birds get along with each other....so you might strongly reconsider getting a third little one...especially having a caique. My little girl Juno will go after my amazons if she gets close enough.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Every caique I've met will attack other birds. The only birds I've ever seen them get along with are other caiques and that's not always true either. I'd be very careful.

OP
E

evenal

Mar 3, 2014
Westchester, NY
Parrots
Budgie - General Beeps
Cockatiel- Kirby
Thanks for the advice everyone. Today my Caique was out of his cage playing around and decided to take a look at my fast maturing IRN. The IRN is coming into its own quite fast now (fledgling stage at 49 days) . The IRN shocked me today and showed aggression towards the caique! AHH I didn't think it could get much worse. .. hoping that keeping their cages close will help them get used to eachother.

I think perhaps instead of saying time I should have said energy levels and the fact that my birds in the past have been so self sufficient in terms of interacting. I guess I am just not used to the caique's energy and the way they are in general. I am getting used to it more day by day and learning to expend his energy with hardcore playtime and then he relaxes more and doesnt want to play as hard or with as much frequency as he would had I not done some real rough housing (he love rolling around.) It's a learning experience and one that I am trying my hardest to take with stride :) I do want to make sure my pets stay sane and occupied though... but with the previous paragraph it's safe to say I don't think getting another bird would be wise at this time LOL.

Steve-:yellow1:

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I keep hearing this, mine can be snappy but they do not cause damage to other birds and are not seriously aggressive by nature.

The green cheeks i have had and have are the most aggressive birds I have ever had in my life and that includes not just parrots but fighting roosters and drakes and geese!

THey just smash into another bird and toss it off the pearch and the bird is usually 2 or 3 times their size. THey make lovebirds seem very peaceful. I am suprised not many have mentioned this?

I cant have my geens in the same room as ANY species because they will attack them and throw them off their own cage. My friend has to keep her green from her cockatoo and grey because he attacks them and makes them fall also.

I do think that if a fight happened and a caique got a strong hold on a green that the caique could kill it but the greens are just so fast.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
They can be aggressive to a point of injury..
One of our WBCs has more than once flown across a room purposely to attack our RBC causing broken feathers and on one occasion a nicked nare. They ALWAYS play hard with each other and with our CAG, but this was an intentional attack on a very laid back, quiet bird more than twice his size.

Each bird is an individual, any of them can be mean given the right conditions. I have found that Caiques can take an instant and "active" dislike to a person or another bird and nobody can change their minds.

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i thought my caique took off my jendyas toe but the previous owner told me that the toe was gone in their care so he never hurt a bird but i blamed him for it lol I thought it had to be his massive bill.

Most Reactions