Overbonding??? HELP!!!

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
Hi guys,

I'm not sure what to do with Vino... I have always been her favourite person in the house but she was still quite good with my husband and daughter. She would always "yell" at my husband constantly when I wasn't home (then would stop doing this when I was home) but would still step-up for him and take treats from him. He could still pick her up and return her to her cage when she fluttered off.

Now she screams at him regardless of whether i'm home or not and lunges and bites him whenever he tries to get her to step up, she's bitten my 6 year old daughter a couple of times too but she doesn't scream at her. They are getting afraid to allow her out of her cage when I'm not home, and she is usually out of her cage whenever someone is home.

This behavior seemed to get worse when the fall hormones started but its becoming unmanageable for my husband when I'm not home becasue she will allow only me to handle her.

Is this fall hormones at its worst?? Over bonding??? What do we do????

It may be helpful for me to mention that my husband is in the military and is only home about half the time and my daughter spends half her time at her fathers house so i'm the only one who is home every day.

Ideas? Suggestions? Please help!!!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If Vino steps up well for you, can you have your husband standing, arm out at elbow, palm flat, and cue Vino to step up for him and reward?

What about teaching Vino various tricks, then having your husband cue these same tricks to Vino?

Best thing to do is to socialize her and get her accepting of other people, and hopefully taking her favorite treats from them!

OP
Devann

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
She also seems to have "claimed" the couch. Now when she flies onto it I'm the only one who can touch her without getting a nasty bite!

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Yeah she is trying to express dominance over the roost you need to take it back let her know that she goes to the couch when you say not by her choice. She need to get the pecking order right she is just under the youngest child and over the dog. Sorry doggie.

OP
Devann

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
LOL!!! we don't have a dog... but I guess she still gets to be over the guinea pig and the dwarf frog....

She was a little better behaved today, hopefully with a little time and persistence we will get back to normal!

Most Reactions

Latest posts