ow old to get baby ?

Boohaven

Jul 7, 2012
uk
Parrots
blue head amazon
Hello all I have been looking for a good breeder to buy a baby macaw I have now decided on a montana cage ( the bigest they do ) but how old do you take your baby home ? I'm wondering when to get in touch again I want to get one around feb 2013 as I can have 2 weeks off work then but when need to find when to look for the baby ?? I did speak to a breeder who has a baby now that said they will keep the baby untill then but is this far to long ? The baby will be 18 weeks old ! I want to get the best bond I can .I also am still woried about the type of macaw this will be my first large parrot I have an amazon who is a rescue and not tame but I'm happy for him to just talk at me and fly-play about I don't need a tame bird in him as I new I was taking on a lot of problems , any advice on the be brill , wanting a blue and gold but anything that would be best to go in a buisy active loud house would be brill

A lot of breeders won't let an un weaned baby go to a new home. So take a look at how long they are hand fed and then you can get them soon after that to start bonding.

On the other hand some breeders will sell babies that are un weaned and you have to hand feed them. This side of things is very tricky, please remember if you buy an un weaned baby you won't be able to work or have very much of a social life because they need to be fed several times a day and be kept on a schedule. You also need to know what your doing as there are several ways you can damage the bird if not fed correctly. The plus side of this is you create a VERY special bond with the baby bird, you really become mom or dad because you have the food.

It's your choice in the end just make sure you know what your getting into.

I would not take a bird home that was not weaned. Too many things can go wrong with an inexperienced owner.

Thank you both for your answers I'm still new to this so I think fully weaned is the best way to go . What age did people get there weaned baby's at ?

Age of weaning is different for every bird!!! A good breeder will not force a baby to wean. I can never tell people when exactly their baby will be ready because it is up to the baby not me. This might sound harsh but I think u should work ur time off around the baby not work the baby into ur time off. The only way to make sure they bird will come home that time is to go to a store and buy a bird that is already weaned when u want it (might be older and not a baby) or the breeder holds the baby till ur time off. Personally I think changing ur time off to fit when the baby will be ready would be better. Talk to the breeder she/he will know the baby best and see when they think they will be ready and go from that.

Thank you I do think the same re the time off but my work is funny with times off and I also need to work them into the school holidays for the kids I may ask for some more flexible hours for a month or 2 :21:After Christmas is quiet anyway lol

The large macaws take a longer time to wean which can be from three and a half months to a year on the largest. A secure confident bird that hasn't been forced to wean is what you want so 18 weeks should be just fine providing that bird weans by then.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back