Panama Amazon questions...

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
Hi All! I grew up with a YNA, but he is really my Dad's bird. They are best friends. I've always thought I would end up with a lilac crown when I finally got an amazon of my own, but I found a Panama Amazon who needs a home (friend of a friend's bird). I like that they are smaller, too, but I'm not sure if I should jump on this or keep looking for a lilac crown. What do you all think of Panamas? I did meet the bird - he/she's about 1 year old and seems sweet but a little stubborn when she doesn't want off your shoulder! I've been looking at cages, too. What size bar spacing would you recommend? She does seem so much smaller than George (YNA).

Thanks for any Panama thoughts!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'd jump at the Panama as well. :) They have a fantastic reputation.

As for cage size, if you're wondering about bar spacing, I think you should be all right with 1". As for cage dimensions, I'd go 36" wide X 24" or so. :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
IMO,,hen Panama is A#1 choice of amazons and all pet birds,(except for a Raven) just my .02 worth. No-brainer choice between LCA and Pan, but each is a individual .

OP
jbail1026

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
Thanks you all! I sent a message regarding Chico the LCA in TN - that post was amazingly timely and thank you, Wendy, for pointing it out. We'll see what happens! I'll keep checking out cages, t-stands, java trees, etc. I'm getting really pumped about this!

Most Reactions

Latest posts