Parakeet aggression - should I separate???

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
My parakeets Skye (male) and Cloud (female) have been rather aggressive towards each other as of late. They have only been with each other for about 3-4 months, but they seem a little more out of behavior now. They've always had their little bits of fights, but it seems they have these sessions daily now, and never really interact with each other directly. It's good to note they are either a year old, a bit younger, or a bit older. Clouds cere is just turning a rough brown. Skye's cere stays peach as he's a recessive pied.

I'm just unsure as to why these guys aren't "hitting it off". They very rarely preen each other, and every once and a while Skye regurgitates for Cloud. Overall, Cloud does the bullying, and Skye often doesn't "win". They will nip beaks and make this rapid high pitched scream, and Cloud will often nip at Skyes feet if she's able. Very concerning and not fun to watch... They just seem rather indifferent to one another, except when they annoy each other.

Perhaps I should separate them? I worry about them getting depressed. Is this an issue with the given info? Would getting another budgie to start a flock mentality help to at least spread out any qualms?

My cage for these two is a prevue flight cage. Here's some pics of them, and the cage.
a9ff30665a8f71a89e16958111e27838.jpg
cb4771f90d802bda69cc7ff097bcc4f8.jpg
c2cc141979c606bffad79196461de746.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Yes; ALWAYS separate when birds start being aggressive with each other. Not all birds want to share living space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Yes; ALWAYS separate when birds start being aggressive with each other. Not all birds want to share living space.

Ok! That's fine, I'll separate them today. They won't get depressed or anything? They have been together for months now. And when cloud plays on top of the cage, Skye seems rather worried (although cloud doesnt seem to worry... its good to note that skye is rather timid and shy. Luckily I've got an extra cage with me, so moving one of them will be fine. Should they be in the same room?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
They might get depressed, but it also might keep them alive. Work with birds very long and you get to see the horrific sight of a bird who has been ripped apart by a bird that didn’t want to share space. Not trying to be harsh, but you need to realize that a lot more than depression is at stake. Get a second cage and let them play together during our if the cage time and see how that goes. They may just not want to share living quarters. Leaving them in the same room shouldn’t cause issues

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
They might get depressed, but it also might keep them alive. Work with birds very long and you get to see the horrific sight of a bird who has been ripped apart by a bird that didn’t want to share space. Not trying to be harsh, but you need to realize that a lot more than depression is at stake. Get a second cage and let them play together during our if the cage time and see how that goes. They may just not want to share living quarters. Leaving them in the same room shouldn’t cause issues

Ah, okay, then I'll definitely move one of them. I don't want to see either of them get hurt, so I might as well prevent it before it happens

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I know you want what’s best for them, that’s why I chose such bluntness. Not the most gentle way of making my point, I know, but I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I wasn’t blunt and you ended up with heartbreak because I was too soft to be honest.

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
I know you want what’s best for them, that’s why I chose such bluntness. Not the most gentle way of making my point, I know, but I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I wasn’t blunt and you ended up with heartbreak because I was too soft to be honest.

Oh, jeez, no damage done at all. I'd rather receive good advice, blunt or not, then getting bad advice and paying the price.

Anywho, if you don't mind me asking, how am I to move Skye? He's not completely hand tame yet, at least less tame than Cloud. He will step up sometimes if he sees Cloud do it, but will end up flying back to the cage if I take him more than a inch away from the cage. I don't want to force anything and lose his trust, essentially starting from scratch again. Any suggestions?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Could you move the more tame bird instead?

If not, try bribes. You can set up the new cage next to the existing one, put some cool bribes inside, and let them check it out on their own time.

themowingcrew

Feb 1, 2017
My parakeets Skye (male) and Cloud (female) have been rather aggressive towards each other as of late. They have only been with each other for about 3-4 months, but they seem a little more out of behavior now. They've always had their little bits of fights, but it seems they have these sessions daily now, and never really interact with each other directly. It's good to note they are either a year old, a bit younger, or a bit older. Clouds cere is just turning a rough brown. Skye's cere stays peach as he's a recessive pied.

I'm just unsure as to why these guys aren't "hitting it off". They very rarely preen each other, and every once and a while Skye regurgitates for Cloud. Overall, Cloud does the bullying, and Skye often doesn't "win". They will nip beaks and make this rapid high pitched scream, and Cloud will often nip at Skyes feet if she's able. Very concerning and not fun to watch... They just seem rather indifferent to one another, except when they annoy each other.

Perhaps I should separate them? I worry about them getting depressed. Is this an issue with the given info? Would getting another budgie to start a flock mentality help to at least spread out any qualms?

My cage for these two is a prevue flight cage. Here's some pics of them, and the cage.
a9ff30665a8f71a89e16958111e27838.jpg
cb4771f90d802bda69cc7ff097bcc4f8.jpg
c2cc141979c606bffad79196461de746.jpg

Separate them for a bit see if that changes anything. Please put cages side by side sometimes animals personiltys are ment to bond with other pairs it sounds like one of them likes just to breed I had a love bird that use to do that with the high pich noise she was not happy sometimes things happen in there life they just can't grasp to move on like people id start them off each with a new flock member if nothing changes then let them go a bird is like a human if it wants to change it self it will I spend a lot of time a dedication to my birds if you raise them when there baby's and spend a fair amount of them they will always look at you as there mother and father thanks for reading I hoped I was able to help you. Sincerely your bird akawince Matt

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I would go for the bribing over method, see who makes the decision to investigate first then they make the decision themselves and should keep everyone happier. If Skye is shyer then he may feel safer in the familiar cage

Most Reactions