Parrot fights/bickering

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi everyone,

Iā€™ve ran into some challenges with my conures. At times they get along, and look like best friends. At other times one would think these two are mortal enemies. They do definitely bicker with the best of them. Iā€™ve never seen any serious injury.

What would be considered going too far for parrot bickering/arguing/fighting?

IMG_0072.jpeg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Well for one they are both ADORABLE! I would consider any injury over the line. Or if there was intense resource guarding to where one bird couldn't get food or something.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I am guessing that some bickering in between parrots is normal. When I volunteered at a shelter all of the parrots there once in a great while got snippy with one another. I wasnā€™t sure how to view what is normal bickering, and what is not, and would be considered going too far. I myself havenā€™t seen a ā€œrealā€ parrot fight. Iā€™ve of course seen the results of a ā€œrealā€ parrot fight at the shelter I volunteered at which included broken beaks, toes missing, feet missing, and such. Some were rehomed for this purpose.

Do these little spit spats my parrots have at times lead up to the ā€œrealā€ fights?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi everyone,

Iā€™ve ran into some challenges with my conures. At times they get along, and look like best friends. At other times one would think these two are mortal enemies. They do definitely bicker with the best of them. Iā€™ve never seen any serious injury.

View attachment 53759
Bickering and arguing are normal and okay; fighting is normal and NOT okay, especially in the artificial confines of a cage. I would hesitate to keep two birds that could injure each other in the same cage. I'm not sure there is any real benefit for the birds to be kept together when you consider the risk. Two cages side by side or one with a divider would seem ideal. Maybe I worry excessively but I would feel horrible if one got injured (as would anyone) when I wasn't home to break it up and separate them.
If they are in the cage sometimes when you're home to intervene it seems safe enough to cage them together but for periods when you aren't home I would cage them separately. Sleeping together may be okay, too, since you'd be awakened quickly by screaming.
Except for Rocky, my budgies all share spacious cages (male female pairs in each cage) and the pairs are very compatible. They squabble now and then but there has never been any aggression. If I saw any signs of real aggression I would break up a pair before risking injury.
But I don't know if conures are as easy going as "most" budgies. Generally, female budgies can be very bossy and fight moreso than males, though I have never had one that aggressive, but I don't keep females together.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi everyone,

View attachment 53759
Bickering, sparring or arguing is ok.
If they're biting then that is not acceptable in my book that's crossing the line into fighting

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My green cheek and sun conure are best friends, brothers even.........and they squabble. If none of them are getting hurt it may just posturing. ALSO THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL SUNS!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Very good question.
Itā€™s a question I worry over also because of my Amazon pair.
my cage setup is kind of unique with 2 cages connected to each other though a small door.
Sometimes Merlin gets a little too aggressive towards Luna and Luna can go to the other cage and get away from him.

If it was to get really bad I could close off each cage and keep them separate. Havenā€™t needed to do that in long time.
Both my amazons are young and I think with time Merlin will calm down some more.

Someone is nearly always home so I am not worried about my pair.

As far as a real parrot fight.

Itā€™s a bit like the difference between two cats play fighting and two catā€™s fighting for real.
A play fight is slow and the punches donā€™t have claws.
A real fight is just a blur of motion with fur coming off in clumps.

From what I have seen when birds fight for real itā€™s fast and furious

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I have a male & female conure. They both seem hormonal at this time. Theyā€™ve been bickering more than usual.

If I split them apart, and let them out separate they scream (contact call) all day. If I put them together, and let them out together they bicker at times. Generally itā€™s just lunging, and such. Iā€™ve never seen aggressive biting. My male tends to be a bit more aggressive then my female. He is asserting himself. My female is more shy, hesitant, or timid in nature.

I am not sure if this is like ducks (mallards) to where they get very aggressive during breeding seasons. With mallards the males will fight to mate with a female, they hold down the female, and attack her. Itā€™s not exactly a delightful situation to see. Iā€™m trying to figure out if Iā€™m supposed to just let my conures go at it until it balances out sense itā€™s not aggressive biting.

I cannot figure this situation out! šŸ˜¢

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Very good question.
Itā€™s a question I worry over also because of my Amazon pair.
my cage setup is kind of unique with 2 cages connected to each other though a small door.
Sometimes Merlin gets a little too aggressive towards Luna and Luna can go to the other cage and get away from him.

If it was to get really bad I could close off each cage and keep them separate. Havenā€™t needed to do that in long time.
Both my amazons are young and I think with time Merlin will calm down some more.

Someone is nearly always home so I am not worried about my pair.

As far as a real parrot fight.

Itā€™s a bit like the difference between two cats play fighting and two catā€™s fighting for real.
A play fight is slow and the punches donā€™t have claws.
A real fight is just a blur of motion with fur coming off in clumps.

From what I have seen when birds fight for real itā€™s fast and furious
I don't think birds play-fight like cats and dogs do.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I don't know what the answer is, but my birds all squabble with each other occasionally and then a few minutes later will preen each other like nothing happened. They've never actually hurt each other whilst doing this but if they did then I'd separate them.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
IMG_0083.jpeg

For now these 2 will be out together. Both have separate cages (side by side), and can hide if need be. Iā€™m just hoping their bickering doesnā€™t escalate.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Not quite what I meant.
I grew up around cats and in some ways very familiar with them.
Anyone who has seen 2 cats fighting versus 2 cats play fighting can never confuse real fighting from play fighting.

This is also the difference between a minor disagreement between parrots (I want to sit where you are sitting) compared to a (I hate your guts) fight.
An all out fight is going to be fast and likely feathers will fly (like fur will fly in a real cat fight).
Thatā€™s what I was trying to say.

I donā€™t know what to call how my Twins play with each other.
Sometimes it looks like play fighting. Most of the time itā€™s playing with the same toy at the same time bit it can lead to play ā€œbiting ā€œ each other.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't know what the answer is, but my birds all squabble with each other occasionally and then a few minutes later will preen each other like nothing happened. They've never actually hurt each other whilst doing this but if they did then I'd separate them.
I have seen this also, many many times.
My twins will be playing and someone gets a little rough (Merlin usually) and a loud scream.
next time I look they are grooming each other

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
OH no they absoluetly play fight and wrestle...even laying on their back,,,,the absolutely play fight at least when young.

Most Reactions

Latest posts