Parry is a night-owl!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I wonder if any of you have had that problem. My first green cheek Parry is about 5-6 mo old, and he always wanted to stay up late with us. He is super active in the late evenings. First we tried to cover him around 10-11pm and turned off the light in his room, but he would scream and protest. Then he started inventing all sorts of tricks like bathing in his water dish right before sleep or frantically eating. LOL He is super active and good tempered bird, but I'm just worried if he gets enough sleep if he goes to bed around or past midnight. He wakes up abound 8-9am and is super quiet if any of us still sleeps. We are night owls with my husband and often stay up until 2am, but we are very quiet after we put him to bed.
Is there any way to calm them down in the evenings? Right now it's almost midnight, and he is sitting on my shoulder and doesn't show any desire to go to bed! But I'm taking him to his cage anyway. :) Time to sleep! :)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
My conures are like that too- only, they don't have their own room really, so they just yell at us until we either let them out or go to bed ourselves! They sort of dictate our bed time haha. However, given the chance, they'll play and follow us around until odd hours of the night!
Not sure what to do to *fix* it though- never really saw it as an issue. They wake me up around 10-11 AM if I'm not awake already, so they get plenty of sleep. As of right now(Also midnight) They're playing with toys and climbing around their cage while I surf the web and the boyfriend watches Bleach(the Anime) hehe.. silly things.

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Oh that's nice to hear! So we are not the only ones! :) The only difference is that Parry wakes up pretty early - around 8-9am, and sometimes even before 8. But I try to stay firm with midnight bedtime. I still think he gets nice naps during the day when we are not at home.

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
Chances are, you're conure spends its quiet daytime sleeping while you're out working. If they get bored, and sleep during the day, they will stay up at night.

kagan1042

Feb 11, 2014
Qld, Australia
Parrots
*Verde Birdy gcc 20.12.13-15.03.14 RIP sweet girl *

* Frootie - cinnamon gcc 26.01.14 *
* Pinky - Galah - early 1980's *
Frootie is an early birdie. 615-630 it is go time!

She lets us know it's bed time by getting nippy and burrowing into anything - usually around 7-8 pm. We have tried to keep her up later in the hopes of a sleep in, but nup!!

On weekends or days when we are home, I've noticed around 11am she likes a little cat nap and then around 3pm as well..only for about half hour, and she doesn't care how much noise we are making, it's nap time!!

SashaElijah

Apr 29, 2014
Elijah and I live in New Jersey
Parrots
Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
LOL the bathing right before bed is too adorable. I was recently on vaction from work and I used to stay up late, Elijah my Gcc also would remain awake but just barely lol. As of yesterday I returned to work and have to go to bed earlier. Last night I turned the lights off at around 9:30pm and he gave a few screams but then eventually was quiet. while I was in bed trying to sleep, I heard constant noises coming from his cage, being a protective mommy, I went to check on him, only to find him hanging upside down from the top of his cage. He was not sleepy at all! He was playing with all his toys in the dark lol. I went back to bed and eventually fell asleep. I'm not sure what time he went to bed but when I woke up at 5:30 he was sound asleep and wouldn't wake even when I repositioned his cage to his normal day spot. He then woke as I was leaving around 6:20am as if just to say goodbye to mommy. I'm not sure exactly how this helps you but I wanted to share my story LOL what i'm going to try to do is set a schedule for him. sleep same time every day so that he will be used to it and wake up at the same time. Good luck

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm a natural night owl myself and I don't cover my birds and they don't have their own room. Sammie generally puts herself up between 9 or 10. Sydney stays up as long as I do. I was on vacation last week and was staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning and Sydney stayed up with me. When we stay up late we also sleep in. During the work week I leave for work at 6 am and they sleep in.

morrjr

Apr 2, 2014
Waldorf, Md
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure with a turquoise split
Martini (my Sun Conure) and Nik Nik (my wife's Quaker) are definitely not night owls: I know it's time to cover their cages when Martini goes into her snuggle hut and Nik Nik settles down on her favorite perch, both around 7 PM. They generally wake themselves up at around 6:30 AM.

Most Reactions

Latest posts