Penny is sick, I've been holding back making a thread

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its a big day for the flock of Laura! A happy day 4 months in the making!!
Pure relief!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
And for everyone who has been following this roller coaster ride too, Laura, we join in your sense of relief! Your hard work, determination and dedication throughout all of this have been amazing to witness. Congratulations on a fantastic outcome and a job exceedingly well done!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you guys for sticking with me all the way to the end!!!

Hopefully I never have to post in this thread again!!!

I want decades of healthy happy parrots!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you all!
I'm adding that Phoebe weight jump from. 98 to 106 was not a growth spurt after all. She was making eggs! Laid her first last night.
Also explains being bitten in the face yesterday. And why when I put put a cuttlefish bone last week she has eaten half of it@

Weight checks are important. For girls it can let you know a gain might b sn egg lol

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Thank you all!
I'm adding that Phoebe weight jump from. 98 to 106 was not a growth spurt after all. She was making eggs! Laid her first last night.
Also explains being bitten in the face yesterday. And why when I put put a cuttlefish bone last week she has eaten half of it@

Weight checks are important. For girls it can let you know a gain might b sn egg lol

Okay I’m glad that all worked out and there is a little irony in the recent DNA tests. She’s like “if you’d just waited a minute, mom, I’d have shown you myself” [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Update. 2 weeks ago I had a flock wide outbreak again. Seemed to have started in the budgies, which previously my vet said were the hardest to clear.
The budgies had some nasal discharge and poop change. The rest had weight loss of 5% on average with penny 8% all were given a short 10 day pulse of doxy. All bounced back quickly.

Except my old girl Penny . At first she gained back weight. But on day 7 started loosing weight again, and started regurgitate. She had developed yeast overgrowth and regurgitation. She is on nyststin and switched to a 10 day ( but only 5 treatments, as is every other day) azithromycin. Nearly finished and is doing good. Did have to start back formula support for her. Gaining weight, no more regurgitation. Whew @

You all thought , like me this was over@!@ but...now under vet advice will treat with a pulse every six months......sigh

The flock had been molting, and that little bit of extra stress on their bodies probably linked with the flare up. They are done molting now. Except Penny who's molting us prolonged from being sick. That's a tip off for your birds as well, a prolonged molting can point to a hidden health issues. As molting takes extra energy and calories, if also health issues they can't handle the drain. Usually I bump calories and protein before a molt but this one happened sooner than I expected...

I push again the importance of weight checks weekly. It only took a week for them to have weight loss. With zero other symptoms ( except budgies) eating, active, poops normal.

Last edited:

Most Reactions