People Eat Parrots??

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
While i would never eat one myself, any more than I would eat a horse or a cat or dog, I don't think it is any worse than eating pigs, chickens, cows, elk, fish....
What we eat, meat-wise, tends to be based on what is accepted by the majority of each society and there are societies in which eating pigs or cows is considered terrible...yet it's the "norm" here in North America.
I eat fish, I eat elk, pork and chicken... I won't eat rabbit because I have had them as pets and just can't imagine putting them in the oven...
The animals that we eat are those we wouldn't keep as pets or, perhaps more accurately, wouldn't keep us...

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
While i would never eat one myself, any more than I would eat a horse or a cat or dog, I don't think it is any worse than eating pigs, chickens, cows, elk, fish....
What we eat, meat-wise, tends to be based on what is accepted by the majority of each society and there are societies in which eating pigs or cows is considered terrible...yet it's the "norm" here in North America.
I eat fish, I eat elk, pork and chicken... I won't eat rabbit because I have had them as pets and just can't imagine putting them in the oven...
The animals that we eat are those we wouldn't keep as pets or, perhaps more accurately, wouldn't keep us...

Well, that's not quite correct. People keep pigs as pets as well as chickens and fish... I don't know of anybody keeping an elk as a pet but I don't see why not.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.

Well, that's not quite correct. People keep pigs as pets as well as chickens and fish... I don't know of anybody keeping an elk as a pet but I don't see why not.

What I meant was, we don't eat the animals we keep as pets. If I had a pet pig, I wouldn't consider eating him... if I had a pet chicken, wouldn't eat her, either. Does that make what i was meaning clearer?

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013

What I meant was, we don't eat the animals we keep as pets. If I had a pet pig, I wouldn't consider eating him... if I had a pet chicken, wouldn't eat her, either. Does that make what i was meaning clearer?

I don't think that's entirely true. One of my mates families who lived on a farm used to get a pet turkey every year. Keep it all year then cook it for xmas dinner.

Most Reactions

Latest posts