Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I bought and mounted an edible perch for Venus, it's a macaw sized perch just like the one I bought for Buddy. I bought the macaw sized because Buddy goes through them like a buzz saw in three days, the larger ones last a lot longer.

Venus is loving hers and she loves to sit on hers but I started hearing a popping sound, one pop that sounds like a beak against the cage. It happens several times a day and today I saw what the pop is from, it's the perch while she's sitting on it. Here's a picture of it. Can I modify the mounting to make it more secure? What would I use? It looks like the nut is coming loose, I've tightened it again.

taw5106-albums-2014-picture13884-image.jpg

Looks like you need some bigger washers- get some 2" stainless steel washers ....those will be big enough to grab two bars instead of one. The center holes in the 2" washers will be too big for your wingnut, so you'll want to layer a smaller washer on "top" so the wingnut has something to push against.

Or you can try to position the current ones- if they can grab two bars instead of one, that would help

Thank you! Adding Home Depot to my to do list for tonight.

If HD doesn't have them, check your local (smaller) hardware store like Ace Hardware or a farm/feed store like wilco or coastal..... I wasn't able to find the 2" SS ones at HD, but found them at Ace.

Good to know. I was at HD yesterday with cage parts and matching hex and wrenches to them. I was shocked at the lack of selection but I found some that work.

In my area it has always been Lowe's that has carried the best selection of SS parts. However, sometimes I have to really look for them. I will try to remember ACE the next time. Thanks!

In my area it has always been Lowe's that has carried the best selection of SS parts. However, sometimes I have to really look for them. I will try to remember ACE the next time. Thanks!

I agree, our Lows has a large selection of ss parts/pieces. Since I am a HD guy, that upsets me!
Looks like the clicking is from the bottom of the washers slipping on the bar. As suggested, just move the mounting down 1/8 inch and that should do the trick.

Also check out tractor and feed type stores, I just stopped at one and was amazed at what they carry!

Yep- our feed/farm store is where I go for a lot of hardware stuff that I can't find at HD or just don't want to make the drive lol

Was going to suggest Lowes, but see others have already...I know the one on North Loop Houston) has them, because I needed some fender washers last time I was in Houston & the HD I normally go to didn't have them, so back tracked to Lowes & they had them...looks like you need a 3/16"x1.5" washer, but maybe GW is right about 2 inchers...the thicker washers usually work better when spanning wider bar spacings...they don't bend as easy when you tighten the wing nuts (get looser when they bend).....

Several years ago HD pared down its nuts & bolts selection because Lowes was out selling them on 1-10 items & HD was trying to sell boxes of 100...at least that's what a store manager friend had told me.....if you notice, both companies have been building their new stores within 1/4 mile of each other...they claim direct competition with each other is good for business for both.....

I wanted to thank you all for your help on this. We got the two inch washers and installed them as recommended and they are working. We ended up going to Loews and that is where we found the washers needed so going forward we will be going to Loews.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back